How to defeat Zergling rushes?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by bradbradallen, Mar 21, 2010.

How to defeat Zergling rushes?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by bradbradallen, Mar 21, 2010.

1. I'm having a serious problem beating Zerg. They rush with zerglings and occasionally hydras, and I have no clue how to beat them.

I've tried massing marines, but couldn't finish him off. I've tried going air, but I can't get enough fast enough, and he can just regen his army so fast.

I need some advice.

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    I am going to assume that you walled off first and your problem is pushing out with the right units to take him down. Get Hellions, they do bonus damage against Light armor units(which Zerglings and Hydralisks are) plus you can upgrade their bonus damage in the tech lab. Zerglings are small units that likes to clump together so the splash damage that the Hellions do works great against them, and do decent against Hydras(with some micro) as well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. FFenix

FFenix New Member

Post a few replays, and we can give you some pointers, as zergling are not that potent against marines. If they aren't making banelings, marines and medivacs are your friends.

4. b0riss

b0riss Guest

Think of hellions as teir 1 infantry counter, if u micro them well they should tear the zerglings apart

5. Matte

Matte New Member

if your getting 7pooled just send your scv´s to counterattack the lings they roflstomp them :) and tech to hellions

6. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    A funny thing about Hellions are that after the bonus damage by aditonal 10 upgrade they are deedly vs both Zerglings and Hydras (if supported by units like Marins and Marauders or Tanks) since they both have light armor. Best Zerg counter to Hellions are Mutas or Roaches (or later on Ultras and Brood Lords)., Also keep in mind that if ground weapons are upgraded, the bonus damage vs light also increases.

EDIT spelling

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. Aggregate

Aggregate New Member

Ya this is the right thing to do, scvs can actually chew up that first round of 6 zerglings. You also need to realize that very early game if the zerg rushes, they are going to have a lot less resources then you (cause they built zerglings instead of drones). Get a few hellions and counter the zerg.

8. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    I would have to point that if Zerg has Hydras they are not rushing, because it takes A LONG time to get to them. If are a decent Terran player, you can block your choke with Barracks/Suplly Depots before the Zerg can even 6 pool you. Trust me, I am a Zerg only player, currently in Gold League. And even if you still don't have a single Marine behind your wall, an SCV can repair the Building faster than the Zerglings can damage them. Your only fear are Banelings.

9. Subversion

Subversion New Member

marines should be just fine if u wall all correctly.

wall off your choke with barracks and supply depots, and build a bunker on the high ground.

u should also be able to get a siege tank with tech b4 he can mass hydras, get 1 or 2 of those behind your wall and the zerg will be forced to retreat.

10. Tensor

Tensor New Member

Zerglings:

Early game - Wall off your choke and place a few marines/marauders behind (you should expect fast lings though since they are the most useful during early game ... a scout into their base or placing marine near a watch tower will help you to get back up if they are rushing)

Mid game - Place a few supply depots between your CC and refinery and raise them when you have zerglings in base. This protects your worker line. Next go for hellions ... they'll just toast them!

Late game - Just kill them with mass hellions which are probably best against mass zerglings. Tanks in high ground can also be good

Hydras:

Early game - If your opponent goes tech and straight for hydra you should be aware of it from your scouting and prep for marauders for mid game

Mid game - This is when you usually see Hydras. Use MMM (marauder/marine/medivac) with stim and you will be A-OKAY

Late game - If your opponent is still going for hydras go for banshees with cloak

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  11. statikg

statikg New Member

I would suggest more marines and less marauders against hydras, siege tanks will be the key here, banshees will not do well against hydras unless you surprise them very badly which you should rarely be counting on. Thors would also do well.