How to counter medivac drop???

Discussion in 'Terran' started by hertaru, Aug 14, 2010.

How to counter medivac drop???

Discussion in 'Terran' started by hertaru, Aug 14, 2010.

1. hertaru

hertaru Member

How to i counter medivac drop??? i played today and had no idea what to do plz watch replay

(yes i know i won but barelly...)

Attached Files:

2. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

if you see it coming you prepare for it, thats why always orbital scan or scout. what you could have done is harass early on so he was committed in terms of economy and concentrating on a recovery plan instead of a drop. ultimately though a drop is tough to deal with, more siege tanks?

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I'd go with vikings and keeping map control, so you can take them down before they even arrive.

4. Zanthor

Zanthor New Member

Yes, go Vikings and have them out a ways from the base, so that if a Medivac drop does come by, you can pick off the majority of them en-route to your base before they even get there.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

Tasmania
    Vikings or perhaps a couple of strategically placed missile turrents near your mineral line or on the approach behind it.

6. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    A warning about vikings: If you go vikings and your opponent takes an approach that doesn't include any air units, you are screwed because a viking on the ground is like having a rifle but being forced to use it as a club, sure you can do some damage but not nearly what it is capable of.

I think that inner-base unit control comes into play a lot with any sort of drop. What I mean by that is how you control your army when it is not being actively used. Often times drops occur in the back of the base or off to the side, and how your army can arrange itself to stopping that attack is what decides if the drop works. Having tanks pre-sieged, for example, is a good way of dealing a ton of damage to their army before they can fully deploy. Or having units arranged so that vulnerable units are always sitting in the middle of your army. Never leaving your mineral patch completely vulnerable also helps.

I know that may not be the best term in terms of a guarantee of stopping drops but little things like that can turn the tide when you are faced with a good drop. Often times stopping a drop will leave you in a strong position for the rest of the game if it is an all-in drop and stopping harassment drops just further discourages your opponent.

7. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Or, on the other hand, use those vikings to own HIS mineral line. Cha-ching baby. cept when that happened to me -.-

8. Suzina

Suzina New Member

California
    watched your replay, was a good game. Good job with the banshees at the end.

As for what you could have done differently, I think it came down to micro. He definitely baited you to head towards the ramp by attacking with half his army there, but when you went to attack the landed forces, you sent in the tanks ahead of the marines. That was the main mistake.

The tanks would have been very difficult to deal with, if they had marine support.

If you control the xel'naga tower and watch the mini-map during games, you'll usually get a little warning when he's going to drop on you, which will help you get in position.

9. Amberlamps

Amberlamps New Member

Here's my beef. Why did you leave at the end? You could have beaten him.

Your three banshees could easily have taken out what was left of his army, which was primarily marauders.

In addition, his base was on fire, so whether he lifted or not, he was screwed.

At that point, just out micro him and make sure he doesn't get up again, which shouldn't be too hard with no SCVs and only a few marines and marauders left.

10. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    One thing that helps with any sort of harassment is a Sensor Tower. They aren't very expensive at all and if you put one in the back of your base you will catch anything trying to sneak into the mineral line. If you see a single red dot flying towards your base it's probably a medivac, get some Marines to kill it before anything lands, or get some Vikings to chase it down and kill everything inside of it.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Just don't build any Sensor Towers before you're already scouted, since they show up on the map of your opponent as well. Or at least make sure you know where the other guy's (main) base is.