How much will you NEED the siege tank?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Dec 11, 2007.

How much will you NEED the siege tank?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Dec 11, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

In sc1, you can hardly win a game vs any race if you dont utilize siege tanks.

How much will that stay the same in SC2?

I know i LOVED using siege tanks for their awesomeness, im just wondering if they will be just as needed in SC2? I dont mind em, its still my favorite unit out of all games.

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I will still always use them, even if they aren't as powerful as they are in sc1. The new animation for the transformation just looks too cool for them not to be used in battle.

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They're actually stronger than they were in the first game. They're the best antiground unit the terrans have. They'll be just as important as they were if not more.

4. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    I liked siege tanks but i was more of a M&M with goliath backup. follow it up with a squad of wraiths= win. anyway i like the siege tank and with thors takin hits Siege tanks may be better now. Ill still use it but every unit has its place. (cept vultures, untill just a short time ago when i lost. still find arbaters useless though) but i doubt ill NEED the tank but id like it if it could be used for spearheading more armor+HP in travel mode. However with FotM capability (Ive heard) i may use it a little more.

P.S. don't quote me of FotM I only heard it.

5. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I'm guessing so. My anti-ground plan is a little tachtique i like to call the 'triangle of death' which uses seige tanks, goliaths and a science facility as well as one scv
    now that theres no goliath i dont what what ill do
    but they are still going to be a serious anti ground unit, one that no other can replace.

FotM?

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well... I've commented extensively on what was supposed to have been the Terran shift in strategic mentality in the Firebat Thread and also the November Monthly Report

So before we saw the shift of the Viking to the Starport and away from the factory, I had hoped there was going to be a fundamental shift in the structure of Terran builds and their reliance on the Seige Tank. But with the removal of the Viking as an early tier unit, I'm afraid it's really going to be the only option once again. In fact, the Terran are going to be rather one-dimensional as they stand now since all they really have is the Firebat at such a low tier to buff their infantry. Not to mention the Ghost, but realistically, it won't apply in all situations that early.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    You forget the cobra. If it does get a speed boost it might become one of the most powerful units in the terran army due to its ability to fire while moving and its relatively high damage. With proper micro they can be used to harass the enemy without being hit even once. Also it's quite early tier so they will be an able support for marines before the tanks arrive.

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Ehh... it will have a similar role to the Vulture. I haven't "forgotten" it, I just don't think it will be that much of an impact. It certainly won't pack enough punch to be a serious thread to a large number of units. It will inevitably have a support role.

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I dunno. I was pretty impressed by how fast it took down that thor in the terran video. True they're quite slow but that's a simple matter of giving them an upgrade or increasing their base speed. In fact for my main strategy I'm planning on going cobras to harass enemies while moving in my siege tanks and my vikings for the kill.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well as a unit rule as you've seen in SC1 as a backbone unit you really need something that either packs a wallop, does AoE damage, or is highly maneuverable and fast.

The Cobra is (most likely) none of these.

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Probably, which is why I'm only using it for harassing and support. But once I get better at micro I'll have a field day running circles with them around zerglings.

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Who am I to crush your dreams. You love your Cobra! ;)

13. Ych

Ych New Member

From the Q&A (forgot which batch), the Cobra as of now, has changed into the Stasis Orb's original attack. That means, when it attacks, it slows down enemy units movement speed + attack speed. Therefore, I don't think its attack would be effective anymore against heavy units like the Thor.

But the ability to slow down enemy movement speed would really make the Cobra a good support unit.

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    So is their damage/attack speed decreased now? Because if it hasn't they'll only become more useful.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Haha support unit.

@ Ych9 , you're supposed to be studying, young man! Hit the books!

16. Ych

Ych New Member

Stasis orb if I remembered correctly, had a pitiful attack. It wasn't meant to kill units. It's suppose to slow down enemy units while your army catches them and finishes them off. Of course, everything is subjected to change based on Karune latest Q&A batch.

It goes well with the Terran because most of the Terran units are ranged. Slowed + focus fire from Marines/Ghosts/Tanks/etc.., would make the Cobra a deadly support unit if used correctly.

@Jon
    Yea I should LOL. But I don't know why, I'm soo tired now LOL. I think I'm gonna hit the hay soon and wake up early tomorrow and continue on.

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Meh, I thought the stasis orb idea was pretty bad anyway. If that's the case then I don't think I'll use cobras. But it seems kind of weird that they'll give a unit the ability to fire on the move when it only does tiny damage and slow down.

18. OriginalSin

OriginalSin New Member

I honestly believe that even though they are/where an inexpendable WMD on sc1 i because of the vikings the siege tanks will become targets because of their slow moving inacsesability to higher up area also i beleive that vikings have a faster build time and lower minerals and vespene gas costs so only in long sieges when you have a good foothold on thier frontal defence i dont see how the siege will become usefull in comparison to the less damage but faster vikings xD (btw ima nerd) :powerup:

19. needler

needler New Member

I think I will need much the Siege Tanks. They are needed for defending base and are very good when attacking enemy base.
    I hope that the give Cobra the machinegun back, because I liked it, and it needs the speed upgrade too.

20. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    The corbra lost the machine gun? Isn't that what gave it an advantage over the thor and allowed it to attack while moving? Why would they take that out, I liked that the terrans were getting a tank that was more mobile than the siege tank.