How far above the max recommended specs do you need to be?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Nov 26, 2009.

How far above the max recommended specs do you need to be?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I am now more seriously looking into a new computer again, since Starcraft 2 is coming closer. I keep delaying buying one each time the game is delayed, but now it seems like it's really coming next year. That, and I want to play rpg games on a pc again. I'm getting tired of having no keyboard with my 360.

So what I want to ask:
    Does anybody know the most recent maximum specifications for Starcraft 2? Or the average rpg/rts, I'm not really planning to play Crysis-ish games. I like shooters better on xbox Live)

Further, I followed the maximum specifications for Warcraft 3 when getting my last computer. Obviously, that turned out not to be enough to run the more complex custom maps with a lot of players. So what I want to know is: how much higher should one go to be able to run practically anything smoothly? I really hated having lag even offline when playing a 12 player map. :(

Any speculations or tips would be welcome. I don't need people to seek out parts or whatever for me, because I'm not at that point yet. I just want to know what this is going to cost me, or if most standard recent parts will be enough. ^_^

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Of course I don't know the best configuration to run SC2, but what I am going to write is already good.

I know that what was needed to run Crysis in 2007 is already very good to run starcraft 2. And now you can find the block buster computer of that time for a cheap price.

The clues for a good configuration ? A powerful graphic card. A PCI X graphic card is good enough to run SC2.
    Of course have minimum 2 GO RAM. Far enough to run this future game.

3. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

I think you'll do fine with E8400 or better and an HD4870 graphics card.
    If you want something fresh go i7 and DDR3 and all that good stuff.

4. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    just buy the best graphics card and processor you can afford :p
    that's what I'm gonna do in case I buy a new one <.<

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Hmm, and:
    Hmm.

I remember LK saying something about that buying, for example, an i5 is almost just as good as an i7, but it will save you money. So I'm a bit hesitant to just go and buy the best stuff I can afford. There's also health insurance, school and other stuff to pay for. :/

As for Crysis: I just meant that it doesn't need to be able to run the most high end games at max. :)

So from what I've read so far, most standard parts will probably get you a long way?

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

It really depends on your budget.
    You can get a pretty decent pc for around $600.

Read my sticky guide (yes, it's partially stolen from Jon). Hopefully it will help you out. Check out the builds for inspiration.

Note that if you add $200 you can get a pretty bad-*** PC with i5 processor and such.
    For Starcraft 2, you'll do fine with the "older" shiet. But to be safe go i5 with newer graphics card.

http://www.hdstarcraft.net/index.php?topic=175.0

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2009
  7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    And "partially" means "most of it"? ;)
    But it's nice.

Still, I have yet to see anybody mention sound cards. What's up with that?

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Most motherboards come with built-in soundcards these days.

I don't think you need to go too far in terms of money to get a really good rig. If I were you, just get the bare minimum to achieve the 'recommended' settings for SC2, except for the CPU and RAM. Specially the RAM, you might want to get at the very least 4 gigs. If possible 6+. Because custom maps usually use a wide array of custom skills and units which radically increase memory usage. Lots of RAM means smooth gameplay and short loading times.
    My specs:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd4850x2
    CPU: Intel Q9550 Quad core
    RAM: Corsair 4 Gigs DDR2
    Motherboard: ASUS Stryker 2

I can run most FPS at full graphics. Dragon Age origins works 100% with full graphics.
    This is probably a $800 computer, although I'm not exactly sure. I bought it a year ago.
    And even this is overkill for SC2.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Ah, then I should easily be able to pay for it. I will make a new thread when I start looking for new parts.

Just a few more questions:
    1. What difference do 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows make when it comes to gaming? Only stuff I've read so far is that 64 enables you to have over 6 gigs of RAM and actually make it work?
    2. Is there any news on the new BIOS thing? Heard a lot of random stuff already about BIOS being replaced and whatnot. Will any new hardware bought now be able to be updated later on? Or do you need a new motherboard and everything all over again?

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Not only does 64bit enable you to have a heck of a lot more RAM, It also improves the performance of dual and quad core proccesors, so I'd definitely recommend you to get a 64bit OS (preferably Win7)
    In terms of gaming per se, there's not much of a difference, except for the fact that you will have much more effective RAM obviously.
    You WILL notice an improved performance on web surfing / trivial stuff you do on your pc that's not gaming.

About the BIOS.. updating the BIOS of your motherboard is doable. In fact, I did it with mine. It IS a bit risky though, because if you flash the wrong bios or interrumpt the flashing proccess your BIOS will be gone for good and you'll have to replace your motherboard xD
    It is possible that new motherboards may have some sort of autoupdate feature. If that's the case, then perfect. But even if it's and old school motherboard, you can still do it. I wouldn't recommend it though unless you really know what you're doing. ( a similar thing happens with updating the Router firmware.. I transformed my router into a 'brick', google the term and you'll know what I'm talking about xD)

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Oh man. Just read up on it. You definitely don't want to do that to a motherboard of a few hundred bucks. :/