How do nydus worms cross gaps?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ekulio, May 1, 2009.

How do nydus worms cross gaps?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ekulio, May 1, 2009.

1. ekulio

ekulio New Member

There used to be an ability on the overseer to call a nydus worm to a location, which I suppose was the way to get them across water/space. But now that's been removed so I wonder how you get them across. You can't load them in overlords can you? That would be ridiculous.
    Has anyone heard anything on this?

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    They don't. They are regular, erm, buildings again, just like in the original game. The only differences are some stat changes -hp, cost and such things- and the name. :/

3. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Oh really? I thought they are about to make new way of transportation for Zerg.. Nydus worm would have been perfect I think.. But they know it. Maybe it was overpovered.
    But than what will be the basic transportin unit? The Overlord once again?

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Overlord has transport again, but the Nydus Worm is still effective. It still comes out of the ground pretty fast afaik. Check the latest few Q&A batches. Those should contain more precice info. -to lazy to quote-

5. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Dude that sucks. I don't think it was overpowered, all they needed to do was limit the number of units that could fit in there at once.

does it still need to build on creep? That was the main reason it wasn't very useful in the original.

6. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    last I heard, no they didnt, But the Nydus Worm is one of their harder unit / building / thing that they were balancing for a while and it could of change by now.

7. ekulio

ekulio New Member

if it has to build on creep they might as well leave it the way it was in the original.
    although with the 30% speed boost, incredibly cheap creep tumors and mobile towers I'll be creeping the entire map anyway. creep tumors provide LOS too don't they?

8. Sueco

Sueco New Member

The whole point of the worm was the fact that it would behave like a worm, ie. cant cross void/space, pops up almost instantly anywhere in the map.

It it isn't really a worm, drop the whole worm concept. I'd rather they found a way to balance it because I think it was awesome, but, gameplay before all.

9. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    the trouble with the worm/canal concept is that it makes island maps something different. Where other races need air transports to move units between islands, the zerg can run their units straight through the worm.

I know that zerg struggled with island maps in sc1. So nobody wanted to play island maps. Expansion placement also favoured some races more than others, as did rogue gas vents placed in a defensible position relatively close to the main bases. So basically, if you wanted to design a map that gave balanced play, there were many unpleasant design restrictions.

Map design shouldn't be such a critical part of racial balancing. I don't think blizzard would want map makers to be restricted by a load of do's and don'ts for sc2. I expect the worm is spoiling this ambition.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Lol, it always has been a Worm. The reason for the name change, was that it fitted the newly introduced gameplay mechanic a lot better. The unit was a Worm all along, you just never got to see it.

I think they should go with the BW version mechanic, but leave the new stats and animations. Firstly it just looks awesome. Further, it really speeds up the pace of the game. Almost instantly surfacing and spawning on all ground types, that really gives it an edge over Overlord drops.

11. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    They have enough of an edge. Even though they still unload 1 at a time like any normal transport, they have the power to move a unit to any other worm or from any other worm, at a capacity of 255 where an Overlord has 8.

-Psi

12. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I don't think it's over powering.

I mean look at the Protoss they can move units anywhere try want. Just by bringing in a (whatever the thingbwas that made a power field) and say warp in. So now there saying the Zerg can't do sonehin like that. (if the toss can do it why can't the Zerg?)

And the Terran don't need anything like that because they're more of a defensive race anyway. They don't need all that much transport. But if your going to island maps I could see some issues for the terran. But they still have vikings. and that can go anywheren it wants to. (if islands are close they can jump islands with reapers.) And if course they have banshees that can cloak to. but then I guess your forcing the Terran to go skyward but it can be won.

13. ekulio

ekulio New Member

thingbwas is a phase prism. actually I can't remember if they've changed the name.

It's true, protoss can zap units everywhere.

What if they made it so that units could exit any worm but could only enter at the canal building?

14. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Wouldn't that kinda defeat the point. The canals in SC1 were made for moving your troops BACK AND FORTH between bases. Why change it like that? sry but I guess it could even gameplay, but what if you didn't do enough scouting and theirs 12-20(ok that's way out if proportion) tanks that blow up your forces and you can't retreat.

(that would suk)

15. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    The Nydus Worm is like a direct counter to the Phase Prism. They both transport an unlimited number of units, quickly, from one area to another.
    The Nydus Worm spawns units instantly, but only one can exit at a time.
    The Phase Prisim allows ALL units to be spawned simultaneously, with a 5-10 second delay.

Totally unrelated, but...

How do Nydus Worms go through Space?

16. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    I would assume that if the islands are somehow connected via terrain or pipes, the Nydus Worm goes through them from the Nydus Network.

If they are all separate platforms with no bridges whatsoever, I have no clue.

-Psi

17. ekulio

ekulio New Member

You should really read through the topic before posting.

Well if blizzard removed the nydus worm it must have been with good reason...my fear is this might mean the warp-in is going too.
    Ok, another idea, what if the nydus worm was only invisible while sitting still? like you could see the earth moving and fire on it. Or just make nydus worms ridiculously expensive, like arbiters.
    I don't know, I'm just kind of desperate to see the mechanic stay in the game.

18. Raylito

Raylito New Member

Keep the nydus worm, but only let it burrow to where the zerg can see. The protoss have those phase prism things which is a huge advantage.

Space platforms/islands - hmmm I guess it would be impossible for the worm to work on this then?

19. Raylito

Raylito New Member

Perhaps the Zerg use the same principle that the protoss use.

20. Raylito

Raylito New Member

The worm uses an ancient biological process in order to warp time and space.. therefore it works anywhere even across space...