How do I make Opera faster?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by BirdofPrey, Apr 30, 2008.

How do I make Opera faster?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by BirdofPrey, Apr 30, 2008.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    So I was reading Webware 100 and opera was on the list of online applications (as were FF IE and Safari) but something caught my eye. Built in Download manager with Torrent capabilities and a page of 9 links with page previews they call speed dial.

Those looked cool and so far as I know you can only get that on FF as extentions so I figured I would try it out. The feaatures are neat but Opera seems to be running slowly. I have Pandora radio streaming and am downloading something but even with this kind of load IE7 loads near instantaneously with FF half a microsecond behind it. My questionis what do I have to do to get Opera to load that quickly.

Also is there a way to dock widgets? I downloaded google toolbar only to find it freefloating on my screen and taking up a slot on my taskbar instead of being an inconspicuous toolbar like its advertised as

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I dunno much about Opera.

As for the Google Toolbar, go down into the userbar, then expand the little slot to the very right. You'll see the Google Toolbarlogo, kinda a multicolored swirl. Right Click and set as Sidebar

3. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    FF has built in dload manager (i mean download the upgrade pack or something like that)

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If you have to download it its not built in
    And I don't want to use FF I want somone to tell me if there is a way to speed up Opera

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    FF does have a built in download manager, but why would you use it when you can use anything else instead?

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I take it the FF download manager sucks

Figured out the problem. Opera defaults to only a maximum of 8 connections so after I raised it it works find though I have to wonder about the logic of one of the default bookmarks being "download opera"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I'm not asking about Firefox

8. DotGet

DotGet New Member

First post :p

I've used Opera as my main browser for over a year now, and with the convenience of stuff like notes/speed dial I'll never go back to FF or IE. Back a while ago Opera was the only browser that used less memory when minimized. In benchmarks, Opera also has the least memory consumption of any browser (save maybe Safari).

I don't know what your problem is. Obviously there is no option in the settings menu for "go faster", so I don't know what it is you expect to hear. I'd say put more memory in your comp if the browser's running choppy or slow with minimal background tasks.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    RAM has no effect on the speed of page loads and theres nothing wrong with my connection since IE and FF load pages just fine.

That means theres something screwed up with the settings of something

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Check your firewall UL/DL exceptions?

11. DotGet

DotGet New Member

It depends on what you mean by "speed of the page". If you have a lack of RAM, the browser is struggling to find the resources to get done what it needs to. In this instance there would be a noticeable slowdown not just in loading the page, but also the response speed of the browser when you give it commands (ie, minimize, maximize, tools>preferences, etc.)

If it is just the page loading slowly and the browser itself is not suffering slowdown, then it is not RAM. And the only browser I've ever experienced slow page-loading was with IE so I don't know why you're experiencing it with Opera. Again, there's no secret everybody but you knows to making Opera go faster.

As for widgets...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it should be in this toolbar.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008