How are we(Terran) to fight against zerg?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TerranGod, Sep 10, 2007.

How are we(Terran) to fight against zerg?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TerranGod, Sep 10, 2007.

1. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

think about it

if (IF AND PROBABLY IMO) the dark swarm comes back in sc2, we terran are screwed...
    think about it

if firebats (unconfirmed) DO come back we arent that much...but...if they dont..
    we are screwed...

terran dont have any melee attacker except scv and scv arent a strong unit

so...i dont know how blizzard is going to balance this but ya...

*please dont make this into a firebat thread please!!!*

imo: in my opinion

2. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

By giving them AAAAIIIIIIDDDDDSSSS

3. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

splash and spells. Since alot of terran attacks are aoe bombardement and splash still works under dark swarm we arent in as bad of a situation as most seem to believe

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i accually think the terrans are the best at countering the zerg. they dont have iradi anymore which kills them, but they still have stim, medic, and marine. they also have banshee which is killer god, and the pumped up siege tank to destroy anything under a swarm. not to mention thor bombardment

5. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Banshee.Thor.SiegeTank.Irradiate(if it returns)ReaperMines.PlanetInjection

More or less

6. DontHate

DontHate New Member

nope, irradiate isn't coming back. it's a shame, but it was kind of imba accually. u could just turtle up want wait for iradi, iradi, then wait and so on.

7. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Terran, banshee with it's AOE will rip any zerg underneath a DC and if it kills your own units in the process, meh. It was gonna happen anyways if you didnt attack those zerg, and chances are since zerg units in general have lower hp than terrans you'll most likely save your units.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

marines medics > kill defiler > move out of the dark swarm, prosper.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm doubtful about the return of Dark Swarm. But meanwhile I've been pushing for the Reaper to have a flamethrower attack.

That would take care of infantry/melee counter problems.

10. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

1st we don't even know whether or not the defiler and/or dark swarm will be in the game
    2nd the only melee (ish) terran unit in SC1 was firebat, which may or may not be in the game. Looking at a lot of the games online, firebats didn't really play a huge role in a lot of games (probably why there may be retired). The terrans will either be given a new melee unit (which I'm hoping for) or some other ability to combat whatever the zerg are given.

Have faith in blizzard... they're our only hope.

11. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

ah...so banshees has auto splash...god dam...never knew

and for thor
    effective...but waste of the energy

12. WuHT

WuHT New Member

it'll be ok. Darkswarm was for the zerg to break throw choking defenses as well as giving them anti-air (which scourge/muta was pretty crummy pre-BW)

13. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Exactly what I was going to say. We don't have any proof that it will return. And like you said the Firebat was the only "melee" unit and I personally rarely used them.

With all the firepower and splash damage the Terrans are bringing I think they are well prepared for anything the Zerg can throw at them.

14. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't know why terran would need any melee units.. Only maybe the firebat. For defence the bunkers are more than enough, and if you attack, don't let lings to come near your units:)

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I still disagree.

Of course you can play WITHOUT a melee unit. Players do that all the time in SC1. The point is that you need the OPTION of a melee unit to counter late tier 1 rushes. That gives you greater variability in your overall strategy. You can do any number of things if you're not worried as much about a rush.

The bunker isn't going to be any stronger in SC1 so it's not going to have any more potential than it did there either. Can you use it to stop a rush? Of course, but now you're tying up space and extra resources in a building rather than a fighting unit which reduces your damage output overall even if it increases your HP. Plus, easier for the enemy to run around you and get to your minerals.

That was the role the Firebat was designed for and it did its job perfectly. You say you didn't use it much? That's because it was overly specialized for the task. It was no longer effective except for countering dark swarm after Tier 2. As soon as ranged units appeared they were no longer useful.

Giving them a jetpack, or letting the Reaper have flamethrowers to take the place of the Firebat would work perfectly. What's so bad about the Reaper being an AoE melee unit just like the firebat? It has a short range anyway and its mobility is INSANE.

16. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Jon the issue would be that the reapers would be far TOO effective at their job. Sure they mash workers in a matter of 30-40 seconds yes, but its enough time to protect your men. Flying firebats with stim = workers dead in a matter of seconds and out before anyone realizes what happened. While this seems like "Hey but doesnt that make their role a little more effective / don't you think the terrans would want themt his way?" sure, but is rigging a unit for the sake of consistency worth it? I mean damn bro. You'd have to watch your workers like a hawk / leave men/defenses behind to defend them, which detracts from your forward defenses and even then given their mobility and a firebat style of attack you could probably still mince workers. You could actually win the game just via a reaper attack at any stage of the game because you could have 40 workers mining they'd disappear because of AOE.

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well... the general opinion has been that Reaper DON'T have stim. And their usefulness and insane ability is countered by their relatively low HP and short range (so the flamethrowers are still in). Being AoE only makes them even more perfect for the mineral raiding task while at the same time making them an effective anti-infantry unit.

As for having to protect your minerals, this is already going to have to happen. There has been a tremendous increase in the speed of gameplay and the direction from which ambushes will be occurring between SC1 and SC2. Don't forget that you're going to have the Colossus lurking around, and on top of that you have the Vikings which can land in any base they want and start ripping up the workers.

Saying a unit is too GOOD at a specific task but still has weaknesses is like saying that the seige tank is imbalanced because it kills all the ground units.

18. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    You've swayed me. But as for general opinon, i hardly think that matters considering the blizzard site explains that Reapers are avid users of stim packs.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I've seen this as well, but I haven't seen any definitive answer. Blizzard has avoided confirming anything either way.

Don't forget that they've said themselves that even anything on the site isn't concrete.

Even if they do use stimpacks, it won't really affect the gameplay all that much except to make them a little faster. But don't forget they lose 10 HP, which for the Reaper is a lot. And they have no medic support.

20. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic New Member

irradiate is not returning? wow, are vessels with matrix still around?

i don't know about the reapers though... low hp with stim