Help on Graphics Card HDMI connection

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by JusticeX19, Aug 2, 2010.

Help on Graphics Card HDMI connection

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by JusticeX19, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JusticeX19

JusticeX19 New Member

I think ive got slightly problem here. I decided to try out the HDMI cable instead of the DVI cable to my monitor and heres what i notice thats its wrong. Firstly the text looks blurry and doesnt look crystal sharp. Everything looks kinda dark as well. And lastly the viewing doesnt expand full size eventhough its at 1920x1080 as well. So yeah i have no clue whats going on here.

When i switch to DVI everything looks amazing!!! But the HDMI is like $%##??? And no its not the monitor settings because it works with the DVI very well. Im not sure if its the HDMI cable fault but i use this cable for my Xbox 360 hook up and i dont have any issues there. Unfortunetly i dont have another HDMI cable to test this out. But im 85% sure its not the cable.

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem? So until then gonna switch back to DVI i suppose >_<

2. asdf

asdf New Member

that's odd, because DVI and HDMI are both digital signals that convert pretty easily.

is it an ATI card? for some reason, ATI automatically scales the image down on TVs (i have no idea why they made this a default action). you'll need to go to desktop & displays -> right click your TV and choose Configure -> scaling options and set it to 0% overscan.

3. JusticeX19

JusticeX19 New Member

Thanks for your help although the problem wasant really solved :(

Yes its a XFX - ATI Radeon Card

When i go to scaling options and set it to 0% Overscan like you said the image actually get too big for it, so i scaled it accordingly. But the image overall still looked very crap with darkish colors. The text still looked very very bad. I played with all the settings in the configure section but i couldnt get that awsome image quality.

Thanks for the help though, ill just stick with the DVI as it looks much better than the HDMI right now ><

4. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Not odd at all, probably an overscan issue. This might help you. My buddy had an issue with his HDMI/ATI card setup and his 1080p TV like this. While the overscan ability was removed from the drivers, it has since made a comeback. If these directions don't help you, I may be able to get my buddies help with setting up the overscan thing (it was a pain in the *** for him too.. I happened to be there when he was doing it, but I don't remember it too well).

This video may be able to help you with all the steps too!
    You can learn more about what overscan is here.