Hellion Pathing Issues?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Apr 29, 2009.

Hellion Pathing Issues?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Novacute

Novacute New Member

I watched the first Battle Report from Blizzard a few months ago. It was a Terran Vs Protoss game that highlights the new mechanics and units that has been implemented so far. I've noticed that the Hellions had some pathing/speed issues that are quite similar to ones encountered in Starcraft 1. Blizzard claimed that the unit Ai's pathing has been improved dramatically, though this is not True for the Hellion. I'm quite sure that the Terran player did not purposefully move his units into a straight line-like formation (common Starcraft 1 pathing problem). Can anyone please provide more details regarding this matter?

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Assuming that Starcraft 2 uses similar pathing methods and settings as Warcraft 3 did, then this is just a matter of "balancing" the settings out. I wouldn't worry about it.

As to explain the similarity with Warcraft 3: they use almost the same editor model. Also, the map and units are still in an alpha phase. Pathing issues can also be caused by a map. Again: really not that much to worry about. And if this, erm, bug makes it into the game, then they will surely patch it sooner or later. :D

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

yeah noticed that too, but once blizzard puts that unit formation on the menu then its probably solved.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I don't know where you got that from, but there are no unit formations as far as I know.

So link and quote to a Blizzard post, or it didn't happen. Sorry. :p

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Formations have two meanings:

If you put your units into a certain shape (eg a square) they will maintain that shape. See the marines moving "in formation" in the WWI 2008 gameplay demonstration video.

Units will not move at the same speed, however, and melee units will not automatically move to the front of combat. (Seen very clearly in Sonkie vs Yellow's first match, where Sonkie put his roaches in front of his zerglings in one battle. Whoops.)

6. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I never really played Warcraft 3 thoroughly, though i'm hoping that BLizzard will come to their senses and allow an option to allow us configure our unit formations. That would be a great tactical asset.