Hamachi/StarCraft problems

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by ItzaHexGor, May 1, 2009.

Hamachi/StarCraft problems

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by ItzaHexGor, May 1, 2009.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Long story short...

StarCraft installed, BroodWar installed, latest patch downloaded, Hamachi downloaded, Hamachi installed, Hamachi set to top of Network Connections list, Firewall off, StarCraft uninstalled, StarCraft reinstalled, BroodWar reinstalled, latest patch redownloaded, Hamachi uninstalled, Hamachi deleted, Hamachi redownloaded, Hamachi reinstalled, Hamachi reset to top of Network Connections list, Firewall still off and I'm still lagging out in any game that involves five or more people, if I'm even able to join them.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

I've tried searching for stuff and found nothing, obviously tried reinstalling both StarCraft and Hamachi, tried different hosts and nothing's seemed to work. Best case scenario, I can join the game. The funny thing is, I can ping everyone perfectly over Hamachi normally, and vice versa, and even in the lobby there're no problems, provided I can join in the first place, but as soon as the game starts, it lags like nothing before. Apparently when I leave it returns to normal. Oh, and also, I haven't hit my download cap, and nothing like YouTube, MSN or even Firefox is running in the background.

Thoughts?

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    • Problem is on host's side and doesn't know about it because hamachi games usually involve few players.
    • Preferences > Status > Detailed configuration: check boxed next to UDP and TCP under NAT, enter a single port for both and forward that port in your router/allow access in your firewall.
    • Buy SC and use b.net and type in the channel "/f add kuvasz" :p

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Wait, Itza doesn't have SC:BW? :eek:

Meh, I would recommend leaving the firewall on at all times, just be sure to do this: set up Starcraft to use the same port as Hamachi does. Forward the port in your router. Make 4 exceptions in the windows firewall: UDP TCP for the Hamachi program, and the same for Starcraft. Then it should work just fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. kuvasz

Hungary
    It's easier to set hamachi to use the ports SC uses and set the programs themselves in the firewall exceptions though.

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I just wanted to avoid any mistakes or Windows errors. You never know if something goes wrong with all those cross-refs in the registry. My cleaning tools get dozens of errors or faulty keys after a week of messing around on my pc. And that's on a computer without internet.

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Eh? Where did I even hint that I don't have the game? I specifically mentioned installing StarCraft, installing BroodWar, uninstalling StarCraft, reinstalling StarCraft, reinstalling BroodWar, downloading and redownloading the latest patches, only being able to play in games with less than five people, not being able to join games and trying different people hosting. Where'd you get that I don't have it from? :(

Anyway, I've tried most of that, but won't have any clue as to whether it's worked until the next big game. Hopefully later tonight. :p

@ kuvasz. You said the problem was on the host's end, so is that second step for me or the host to do? We've both done it, or me and the usual host at least, but I'm just curious in case something has to happen.

@ Aurora. It feels safest to just keep the Firewall off, haha. That way I'm sure that it's not blocking anything important, because it isn't blocking anything at all. I remember in my first month or so of WoW, Norton randomly decided to block it at one stage, and I got no assistance from the Blizzard tech team or anything. Eventually marinefreak suggested Norton could have blocked it, and what do you know? Anyway, haven't got Norton any more, and I'm using NOD, which I trust enough to cover anything when the Firewall's off.

@ Lobsterlegs. Thanks for that link. Found some useful site on it that saved me from having to ask embarrassingly simple question here.

So, yeah. I'll keep you all posted. And thanks for the help.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Well, glad to see you, sort of, fixed it. I am curious to see if it worked properly.
    As for the buying part: people who have the game tend to play on battle.net, Hamachi is usually used by people who have pirated versions of games, and are therefore unable to use the official portals.

And I just thought of this while typing the previous part: if Starcraft 2 really supports no LAN, then Hamachi players would be screwed. As far as I understand, it uses LAN functions to make the connection. Say good-bye to piracy.

9. kuvasz

Hungary
    I highly doubt SC2 will have no LAN.

I'm thinking who Itza is trying to play with has a pirated version, hence the want to play via hamachi.

@Itza the list I posted are alternative steps, not subsequent ones. Even you as the joining client should set that.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    By the way: I also asume LAN will be available. It's just that you see these weird messages all over the web, messages that say the game lacks LAN support. No idea where it came from, but I decided not to ignore it as a hoax. Although it probably is one, since major tournaments like the WCG use it.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Oh right. Gotcha. :p

Nah, we just use Hamachi 'cause it's easier. A couple years back me and some mates had some problems with B.Net, though I can't remember any specifics now. I dunno, maybe they were the ones who had a bodgy copy. In fact, I seem to recall one of them needing to borrow the CD's off someone else, so that's probably it.

Regardless, I got the real deal, and I'll go to great lengths to prove it if I have to. :p

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Just join the social group I made to show off you did. ;)
    We believe you.. or do you hypnotize us?