Gun, Laser, Claws. [Rock,Paper,Scissors.]

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Inside Sin, Dec 16, 2007.

Gun, Laser, Claws. [Rock,Paper,Scissors.]

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Inside Sin, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    I don't see how the zealots cannot overpower the marines, i mean, what kind of armour can defend against lasers that have been developed in the pure areas of Aiur and the zealots look like they have stronger armour then the Marines. Shields as well.

I know a lot of this is not put in perspective in the game, but its just funny how a Zealot can get beaten by machine guns when they have been Enhanced with such powerful beams of energy and such a shield that can deflect bullets. If Marines cannot kill a Zealot as easy and can die, how the hell do Zerglings stand a chance against such Power? I'm not trying to be picky or anything its just funny how the rock paper scissors thing has no effect what so ever. I guess the only place where it does have effect in is the real world.

The only game i've seen with this RPS effect is probally GTA where the guns have different powers.

I just want to hear some opinions and try and get a good and healthy post in the Protoss section, what are your ideas on this thought?

Thanks, Inside Sin.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think it indeed is strange that the zerg defeated the protoss lorewise, that means that claws damage shields...

3. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i need to get my old rock paper scissors map i made out ;D
    itsa funny map

i think its kinda like the immortals except the zerglings and melee units can pass through the shield because they are much larger than a bullet and much harder to stop than a bullet

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its all about the velocity of the bullet and strike of the claw. Obviously Zergs are very strong strength wise and repeated blows on the shield weakens it. As for bullet, its a continuous stream of pressure on the shield and it takes energy to stop a high velocity bullet from penertrating and after a while the shield dies as it simply cannot take anymore pressure, then when it tries to repower the shield there too little power to start it up again if its still being hit, simple really.

And Zealots overpower all small infantry.

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Marine = 50 hp
    Zergling = 35 hp
    Zealot = 60 shields and 100 hp = Whooping 160 hp Zealot has way more endurance that any other light ground unit

Gauss Rifle = 6 dmg per shot
    Zergling claws = 5 dmg per hit
    Warp Blades = 16 dmg per stab Zealot makes more than double the damage of other light ground units

So I think the rock paper scissors aply into the game. Problem is that, unlike in rock paper scissors, other variables affect the outcome of a battle, like for example having lots of zerglings against a small group of zealots.

6. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Heh, thanks for the information and yeah, the Zealots are the most powerfulest melee unit at the start i guess but they're such far into the technology cycle.

7. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    I believe that lazers can be scattered by a coating of wax or resin on the surface of the armor, plus the terran generally have better numbers thus, thoe shields that the protoss have are gonna fall quick if they weaken after taking a beating. So its not THAT surprising that they lost.

8. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

protoss never lost vs the terran, except in small battles. and if you look at it there is no real tos is rock zerg is paper because ling attacks countered by lightning while shield is countered by defiler. I say the closest is zerg>ter>tos>zerg but its really a stretch

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

lorewise. a single zealot is like 5x stronger than a predator.

and basically zealot jumps, run FAST, teleports, back dive, charge (almost invisible), slash in different patterns etc...in real life or lorewise.

so in ratio of zealot to marines.
    i say 1:5 for the average zealot.

zealot and zergling.
    1:10 for the average zealot

zealot and hydralisk
    1:2 or 3 (depends on situation).

10. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Yet Zealots cost 100minerals. But they can get owned by lots of other units, like. Mass Zealots get owned by mines.

11. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    How about Der Langrisser?
    swordsmen > pikemen > cavalery > swordsmen
    or
    swordsmen > pikemen > archers > swordsmen
    there are more, the whole game is based on it

but you've never heard about it, so how about something that's probably familiar - pokemon? fire/grass/water is just one example

Starcraft is just too good for it ;)

12. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

or what about EE

i thought it was thor>infantry>fighters>bombers>heli's>thor

13. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

Fire Emblem as well

Sword>Spear>Axe>Sword

but yeah,we don't need such a thing...

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    1 zergling= 25 mineral 1/2 a control point
    1 marine= 50 mineral. 1 supply
    1 zealot = 100 minerals 2 psi.

15. WuHT

WuHT New Member

RPS is the backbone of any good strat-requiring game.

As a digression, many fighting games (especially 3-d) implement a high, mid, low attack to RPS counter standing, jumping, and crouching blocks... as well as standing, side step left, and side step right!

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    When I do a very basic comparison of early units, I usually compare the number of units purchasable with 100 minerals. With 100 minerals, you can get:
    1 Zealot
    2 Marines
    4 Zerglings

With these basic numbers, 100 minerals worth of units, the Zerglings would defeat both the Zealot and the Marines when placed in direct combat. With a second 100 minerals, it gets better for the Zerg and Terran, worse for the Protoss: the Zerg can still have all of the Zerglings attacking a unit, and the Marines can start to do considerable damage before enemies close. As we progress with these ratios, the strength of the Zerg increases at a decreasing rate while the Terrans become more and more effective. After a while Marines, clumped together, can protect Marines on the inside of the clump from damage, while every unit can still attack. The Zerg and Protoss must have direct contact with an enemy in order to attack it, so the Zerg's numbers start losing their effectivenes: not all of the Zerglings can get to the target, attack cycles are being wasted. The Protoss can also have this problem, but the fact that their units are so dense, damage-wise, means that, in large numbers they can both minimize the Zergling's "surface area of attack" and rapidly chew though layered Marines.

If units are in "optimal formation" as you approach very large numbers of units, you'll get Marine>Zealot>Zergling, but this is not always the case, as you don't always have large numbers of units. I would say that the effectiveness of each unit is really determined by its position relative to friends and enemies, and the amount of minerals worth of units being used by each side.

17. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

im sorry, but dont you think this topic should be in general discussino, not the protoss because it involves the balancing of all the units

18. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Well yes but back when it was made I believe only terran and tos were revealed.