Google Chrome (webrowser)

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by 10-Neon, Sep 3, 2008.

Google Chrome (webrowser)

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by 10-Neon, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Google has just released their new browser, Google Chrome.

They have a comic (yes, a comic) detailing the distinguishing features of the browser.

It doesn't have some of (any of) the plugins I was using for Firefox, but that will sort itself out sooner or later.

The really nice thing is that each tab runs as its own process, you you don't have a single tab bogging down the whole browser.

I'll try to add more impressions once I've gotten some real use out of it.

CNET index of Chrome articles
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Wikipedia article

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Be careful with that.
    Google has one of the largest ad networks and they parse your search settings and email to serve ads to you. Everything that gets sent through their systems is logged so they can gather information for ads.

I just read an article that states if you leave autocomplete on google can store your keystrokes before you even press enter and they have stated they will. They are watching you, be afraid (or turn off autocomplete)

Google: We know more about you than the government.

=====
    An a seperate note I am trying IE8 which also runs tabs as seperate processes and I can verify it is a good idea and leads to better speed and stability. All browsers need this feature.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. Light

Light Guest

Yeah, I am kinda scared of it...but to think about it, im scared of everything... :(

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Ok, the comic is officially weird.

Checking out the screen of GC (I'm at work, so I can't DL it and give it a whirl), I'm not sure I like the looks of it. I mean, it'll probably have all the customization of FF (Finger cross), but at the moment it's rather....stark. I mean, most everything that comes out of Google is pretty good (Except Google Maps Mobile), but I at least want my surfing experience to be pleasant on my eyes.

One of the biggest things so far that is a a Huh? thing is no ActiveX. I get the security aspect of it, sure, but AdBlock is my #1 addon to FF....

Says it's faster than anything else though, that's good.

5. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I heard about it yesterday and wanted to download it but never got around to it. I don't want to download it yet until I get an idea of what it's like. Has someone downloaded it already and if so could you tell what it's like? Slow, fast, easy to learn, hard ...etc.

6. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I just downloaded it, and I am now reverting to it as my main browser. Firefox I have never liked, and Internet Explorer has been the smartest alternative. I just hated the thing that the comic talked about when it bashed on other browsers: Tab Fragmentation, or whatever it was called... Where pieces of code were left in the explorer, and it eventually ate up all of your memory. I had to dedicated HALF OF MY HARD DRIVE to RAM just to slow down this process, and it still occurred in about a week due to my excessive browsing. If Chrome can fix this problem permanently, it will just be a large bonus to the already super-efficient, great-looking, and overall sexy browser. (Went to chat, said it didn't have flash installed yet... wasn't a problem. Gave me the choice to download the flash plugin [without a popup, I might add... the link was right in the error message of the chat box!]. I went ahead and did, in about 7.5 seconds the tab had refreshed with chat working 100%.)

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    it isn't good with games, lags and crashed once :(

8. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    The problem is that they may not be the only ones.
    Do you think your privacy is perfectly safe until you start using Chrome? I wouldn't be so sure...
    They at least state it clearly, and provide you a sincere deal, afterwards, it's totally up to you...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  9. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    atleast they have incognito mode lmao

10. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'd just like to point out that Firefox has been doing that for ages, so it isn't such a special thing. The other day I had to update my Quicktime player and although FF said it had to be done manually (it was the first time I've ever seen this message), it provided all the links and after updating I just had to refresh the tab to make it work.

I don't like anything related to google apart from its search engine, so I'll keep away from this new browser as well. FF is just as good, and if you get mad at the browser for slowing down for a couple of seconds, then you need help. Also, if FF crashes, you have the option to restore your tabs and kill the problematic one as it's loading, so I really don't see the need for chrome.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    True.
    Pretty much every mail provider parses your email and most search engines save usage statistics. Google just keep larger databases. In addition previous to this they couldn't record your every keystroke entered in the browsing bar. Also I hear that due to them being lazy with their Eula, any work you submit with chrome cn be used by them for their purposes without your consent.

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I tried it out last night.

Pretty unimpressed to be honest. Lack of features, a couple things that made go lolwut, and not NEAR enough customization.

Sticking with Firefox.

13. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    we had fun photoshopping the comics at newgrounds :)

14. Light

Light Guest

Oh god ursa... ^ ^

Opera FTW~

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    If you want these features in a more stable format (and from someone who has experience making browser *cough* not google), get Firefox 3. Same features.

Also, since when is Internet Explorer an "alternative" to Firefox. Is it not the other way around?

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Everything is an alternative to everything else

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yeah but IE has like 70% of the market while FF has like 20%. Wouldn't you refer to the sever minority as the "alternative"?

People don't call PCs the alternative to the Mac.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    While it is an odd thing to say they haven't actually said anything wrong since alternative is merley another word for choice

19. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yes, but seeing how I greatly dislike Firefox, this is my best choice. I am less in to features and more in to "I don't notice the browser unless something strange just happened" styles. As for getting mad at browsers for slowing down for a couple of seconds, this is not the case. My problem with speed is that the browser's RAM usage would be so high that there wasn't enough RAM to properly generate the Windows right-click menu. This new system (hopefully... haven't had an entire week of testing yet) should fix my only problem with internet browsers.

Fenix: What made you go lolwut? And they are working on customization. Note that it is still named a "Beta." I found a link to themes for Chrome, but all the page said was "Coming soon..." I'm sure Chrome will integrate as much customization as they can.

Also, it's pretty much open source (i think...). Once all the mods start getting made, there will be infinite possibilities for customization.

20. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Most of the things I had as extensions for FF were already in Chrome. All I am really missing at the moment is StumbleUpon.

--

Google has fixed the nasty bit in the Chrome EULA, for those that cared.

--

Oh, I guess I used Adblock Plus, too... but I only got it to shut Sodium up. My brain has built-in adblock.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008