Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Shall the Reaver stay ingame?

1. No, only in the editor

50.0%
  2. Yes, and remove the Collosus

2.0%
  3. Yes, and let the Collosus stay. Two are better then one!

40.0%
  4. I hate the reaver, remove it forever

8.0%

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

The current Protoss tech-tree from BlizzCon does not have a Reaver listed as a produceable unit. Blizzard has said the Null Circuit building would allow the player to build both Observers and Reavers from the Robotics Facility, but if you look at the screenshot, there is no evidence of this. Is the Reaver scrapped due to fan complaints about the looks? Or are they fixing the model and did not include it in the BlizzCon playable demo? Discuss.

2. burkid

burkid New Member

it might be scrapped, or being revised. i must say, i really hope that they arnt gone for good.

3. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Best news ive heard all day

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

nope, people played it in the demo's... i'm sure it's just a mistake made...

5. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

I wouldnt be hurt if this unit went bye bye...its the most clumsy unit in SC1..sure its nice for surprise drops and such....but thats it....If they prove its targeting so it shoots at what you tell it to shoot then Ill be happy...

6. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

The reaver kicks ass. Its great and a bitt complex to use. Just aim to the units in the middle of the mass and drop then between the CC asnd the minerals, not behind the minerals (scarabs get stuck)

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

The Reaver was the heavy hitter of the Protoss army. Imagine how you Terran players would feel if they took out the Siege Tank. It's the same thing for us.

8. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    here is the tech tree: http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/post-3-1186176815.jpg

yup it's not up there...that's annoying. considering how a lot of reports say that toss is superior to terran in the blizzcon demo play, it might be a good thing. as a zerg player, i'm definitely thrilled.

i'd like to point out that the terran tech tree: http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/post-3-1186176827.jpg

didn't have anything about a nuke, but we're all pretty certain there will be a nuke ability. especially if you look at the IGN screenshots from IGN, you'll find it there.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

if they take out the reaver the protoss will have no heavy hitting ground unit. and thus will be f**ked.

the nuke comes from the shadow ops

http://sc2spot.com/content/view/43/1/1/1/
    "The Reaver is gone. I asked one of the developers about them at a panel, and he told me they were in-game as little as a couple of weeks ago. They are removed for the time being simply because its role has been taken by the Colossus, but it may or may not return. I really don't see how they can get rid of it because you can't transport the Colossus anywhere near as easily."

10. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    hmm that's really interesting. the really great feature of the reaver was the splash damage. if i had to pick of the two units i would want to keep, i'd rather have the reaver. you?

11. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I'd prefer the Colossus and I tell you why: this game seems to be all about exploring the dimension of diferent heights and obstacles. If a unit can cross them or not is now also beeing wheighted in that creature's favor. And in a world of obstacles, reaver will be useless very fast: scarabs can't cross hills, and they are not only slow, but also large. Imagine they trying to hit a bunch of stalkers, and they just go up one stair in the mountain by blinking... bye useless scarab. Same for reapers, who can waste all day the scarabs simply by shifting to a higher plane. The Colossus can shot across obstacles, can move across obstacles, and as seen in the first demo, he doesn't get trapped by smaller units, as they move trough a bunch of Zealoths with no problems. Scarabs also got traped behind the front lines, so in unit combos, Colossus also beats Reavers. It has no splash dmg, but it had to be this way or it would be too OPed.

The main problem the protoss used to encounter by reavers was their frailty, and Colossus also deals with that, as its HP is much higher. It does get hit by both air and ground, another necessary feature for balance reasons, but specially in this new environment, Reaver must retire from the battlefields. I'm almost 100% certain that in-game, ppl wouldn't even use reavers anymore, because of terrain disadvantages they will have. Same goes for Goliaths + Wraiths and Vikings: for obstacle crossing, much much better than the later. We have to remind ourselves that the scenarios and rules will change with the new features, right? :)

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I would choose the Reaver with juiced up HP, and better AI (Including Scarab AI).....The explosion of guts and gore from a Scarab blast is as classic as warping in a fleet of Carriers into the enemy base.

13. surr

surr New Member

im glad its gone for several reasons.
    starcraft do not have fixed defensive positions.
    too many heavily manuverable units
    too slow
    collossus and warp rays overshadows it

14. burkid

burkid New Member

except neither of them have explosive splash. come to think of it, do any toss units other than archons have splash now?

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Then why even have Siege Mode? It's the same thing as what the Reaver does, except the Reaver is more mobile.
    Then kill the Thor as well
    Again, kill the Thor, the Battlecruiser, the Colossus, the Warp Ray.....
    Colossus is good for cover fire from a vantage point. Warp Rays are worthless against units. The Reaver is used if you want to kill a lot of troops in a hurry

16. burkid

burkid New Member

yay fenix, keep up the fight for the reaver! :powerup:

the reaver can fill the role of both the warp ray and colossus combined. it can take out infanty easily, it can take down heavy units and buildings easily at long range. and it cant be hit by AA like both previously mentioned units. its just damn effective.

edit: sorry fenix, power up will have to wait. stupid 72hr limit...

17. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Even with a good AI, its a single plan unit, and as sieging device, it cannot have that anymore. If Colossus were splash damager, it would be too OP. I say leave the splash dmg to the OP psy storm, that already killed any zerg attempt to break trough Protoss settled defenses. If you have plenty High templar, who cares about reavers against masses? :p

Also, beeing splash dmg, the reavers had a number limit to deal with any amount of zerg invaders. U just needed to get their dmg and measure the distance the amount of zerg units could walk between each scarab. In the end, 4 reavers could keep a whole land army away if beeing refueled by scarabs.

18. JBL

JBL New Member

that's a very minor flaw to the reaver that can easily be fixed.. I hope they keep the reaver..

even better, replace the reaver by a new version with some improvement.. all I'm asking for is a slow moving unit that shoot projectiles and can be used effectively with transport units.

off topic: Fenix: ah crap If i was a mod here too I would have edited your post so it looks like what it should be, a small quote of surr followed by what you have to say followed by the 2nd small quote, followed by what you have to say.. etc.. etc.. etc.. ahhh plz someone do that for me.. it would look so sexy.. ur reply would be the pwnage.

19. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Heh heh, the Reaver is pretty much the core of ALL my non-rush strats.....No way I'm letting it go!!

But Colossi aren't splash. Psi Storm doesn't splash, it's AoE, and good players can easily avoid that. It's used for killing slow units, like Guardians, BS, Siege Modes, and Reavers....Interceptors too sometimes. There is nothing in the entire game (Expect possibly well microed Infested Terrans) that does the same thing as a Reaver, namely utterly annihilate infantry.

EDIT@JBL: FINE....Jeez....

EDIT2@JBL: Happy now!?!?

20. burkid

burkid New Member

so protoss is out of splash now, right? except for TAs practically melee attack.