Ghost ability idea: Psi Disrupt

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Aurora, Sep 25, 2007.

Ghost ability idea: Psi Disrupt

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Aurora, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I was thinking about the whole Psi Disruptor thing of Starcraft 1, which confused the Zerg and stuff and the ability of Kerrigan to control the Zerg with her new powers. (since she can now use her full powers because the blockade is gone)

If Kerrigan can control the Zerg without her blockade and infestation, why shouldn't "normal" ghosts without the blockade be able to mess with the minds of the Zerg? Now this is my idea:

Psi Disrupt description:
    A Ghost area of effect ability which will render the Overlords and Cerebrates unable to control the effected Zerg.
    So the opposing player would lose its ability to control the effected Zerg, which can then do whatever they want, which would be running away or attacking each other, since they are just mindless beasts without the Overlords and Cerebrates.

Addition:
    It would also be good if this effected the Protoss in some way to, because they use Psionic Powers and mental linking to, but I have yet to come up with something for this problem. Maybe just a Power drain or slowing down units because they get confused.

Some lore I thought of: ;)
    When Kerrigan was converted to the Zerg, Terran scientists immediately began studying her new abilities through the Intel they had of encounters with her. They discovered that after a while, Kerrigan somehow managed to permanently remove her mental blockade that limited her psionic powers and is now able to control the Zerg.
    After ten years of war the Terrans decided that it was time to unleash the full power of each and every Ghost they had and removed all blockades. As was to be expected, some couldn't handle their new abilities, they were killed because they were way too dangerous.
    The remaining Ghosts developed a new ability now known as Psi Disrupt, they were able to drive Zerg mad, as they experimented on captured Zerg they discovered that the mental link to the Overlords was broken, and the Zerg started attacking each other. The scientists knew this ability had an immense potential and they immediately inform their commanders…

So, what do you guys think? This is my first real idea, so a lot of criticism is expected and welcome. ;)

:gossip:

2. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Well imagine ghost using this power in the center of the zerg base...
    I think it's too powerful.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    First I would like to note Kerrigan was a level 10 psychic while most ghosts are only 7 or 8.

Second that would be to powerful against Zerg and useless against Protoss

4. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I think that this could be the new irradiate, since the nomad doesnt appear to have anything to combat the zerg now, and it would only be a temporary effect, like 5 seconds or so, when the zerg attack anything near them, and if it was just targetable on one unit it would just be used on casters or something. I think it has potential.

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

while giving ghosts the psi-disrupt ability it's an interesting idea, you should reconsider it's effects, rendering all zerg in an area uncontrollable and attacking each other is too much, maybe just make zergs less responsive. however i've no idea how you would implement this properly

6. b0urne

b0urne New Member

Too Imba.

However I think it's a great idea to give to Kerrigan in single player campaign. Could also be used for UMS games as well.

7. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i believe the only Ghosts who were/are powerfull enough to do such a thing are Nova and Kerrigan

the ability is too imba,would be just plain unbalanced to give this to Ghosts.they can already pwn biological units with Snipe anyway...

what they do need is the lockdown back ^^

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Maelstrom seemed to me like a better ability

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Oh well, it was just an idea. ^^
    Maybe if it is just for making them less controllable and having to wait a little for it to start, like when aiming a Nuke, then you would be able to stop it very easily.

But I guess it's a little overpowered, and if it would be a spell just for one unit?
    That would still mess up an attack of enemy Zerg, you could bring in some Ghosts and target the units that are closest to you and they will be like a shield for you because your enemy will defend themselves against those units first.

@BirdofPrey
    I forgot about that, I don't have the books and all that, so my knowledge of these things is fairly limited.
    But like I explained in the lore part already, if the mental blockade would be removed, they ALL would become a lot more powerfull, just look at Kerrigan.
    And it could also be used on the Protoss, since they use their Psionic abilities to communicate (they don't have mouths and ears, so I guess they use some sort of telepathy). When they can't communicate anymore, they would perform really bad in battle.

@Vindicatormsc
    The chance they are bringing Lockdown back seems pretty small at the moment. The Zerg are now the biggest enemy for everyone, and some Protoss are teaming up with the Terrans, so they don't need to take out much technical stuff with lockdown anymore. (since the Zerg are fully organic) That's why I thought of some sort of Lockdown for organic units.