Further concerns over Terran speed issues.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Further concerns over Terran speed issues.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Terrans have quite a number of qualities which makes it a great race to play with. But, with the recent updates on the game balance, terrans may have difficulty chasing after the enemy during mid/late game. Now, i understand that Terrans have formidable mobility eg. Lift off, concussion missiles and building anywhere, my primary concern is the base speed of it's units. So for instance, most of the Terran units have a speed classification of 'Normal', only Hellions and Reapers have a 'fast movement speed', making it incredibly hard for an experienced player to chase fleeing Zerg units(movement speed upgrades and 33% speed increases (stackable) on creep) and protoss units (Blink, charge, 'fast' speed for flyers like phoenixes).

Also, i've noticed more of the Terran speed issues in Battle Report 1 & 2. The Terran player (David Kim) has had great difficulty running away from both the Protoss and especially the zerg. Also, i'm quite sure that every1 has noticed how useless the effect of Concussion grenades are against Charge and Zerg speed boosts. Of couse, if Lockdown or an increase in base speed doesn't return/introduced, in my opinion, Terran players will have difficulty chasing after enemy units or retreating. I understand that there's also the medivac which is 'fast', but it is too cumbersome to pick up units, chase the enemy, unload units, which is far too much Micro and the lag time of unloading troops will only let the enemy escape.

2. JakeKessler

JakeKessler New Member

Tallahassee, FL
    Are there no stim packs in SC2? If memory serves, stimpacks in SC1 helped combat this very problem.

3. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Hmm an interesting point, but keep in mind that terran air forces are inferior when chasing/running away from protoss/zerg enemy flies and stim packs are only give to Marines.. which does allow it to keep up with other units, though that would be tactically result in your loss if ur other units can't keep up. That is unless you plan to mass Marines which isn't a sound plan.

4. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    SC1: terran were slow and not mobile, but are good are turtling
    SC2: Terran are much more mobile, and have even better turtling functions (siege tank, missile tower now has upgraded range...) AND HAVE MORE HP AND FIREPOWER

And now more speed for Terrans? That would be too much :D

This is, according to me, much more than enough, considering:
    Protoss no longer have their intimation beffect from high HP or high firepower
    Zergs have very weak units overall.

If at all, that's the 2 other races that nneed to be buffed up, or the Terran that need to be nerfed.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Charge doesn't activate when the Protoss flees.

There is no need to increase anything at the Terran side. Stimpack makes marines and marauders much faster, and banshees are fast AFAIK, which devastate ground units. Perfectly enough, especially because the general race traits have to remain intact in SC2, which is turtling for Terran.

6. Novacute

Novacute New Member

really? i thought it was an active command?

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    No. Charge is a passive and only triggers when you're going to attack. When something is in range for an attack-move command, they'll Charge it.

Terran are looking exceptionally mobile, and following Starcraft 2 since day 1...

I've never thought they were too slow.

Heck, I'd let the enemy retreat. While chasing them down back to their base, or going back to gather more reinforcements for a new attack on the poor victims.

8. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Agreed Space Pirate Rojo. I agree with all you have just said. My post would be exactly like yours. The terran are mostly ranged. They don't really need to chase them down much. They can just shoot at them while they run off. Then you reinforce and regroup for your attack on their base, or outpost. While they are too busy trying to repair their army in terms of numbers and power.

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
  10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

once again your going to make a race over powered. Just because the units are mostly normal speed doesnt mean they wont win. Both battle reports are terran wins. speed is not there issue, on top of that there Ranged for god sake. they can shoot down just about everything. and the fact you think the Marauders Concussion grenades are useless vs zerg speed upgrades and and zealots?? seriously stop trying to make this the unit to counter EVERYTHING. besides the fact that another player is going to spend money late game to revive a unit from being countered based on speed issues you would hope they better win. if thats the case you need to stop being lazy and build hellions which are a better counter...

11. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Agreed. A unit that can counter everything was unbalance the game badly.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Thread closed. Please continue on the above linked thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.