Fastest maps on SC2

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by Spartan, Apr 26, 2010.

Fastest maps on SC2

1. Spartan

Spartan New Member

http://vilegaming.com/forums/topics/23707/fastest_on_sc_it_s_real

I figure some of you out there might be interested in this. I took it upon myself to see if fastest money maps were possible in SC2, and just how well it pans out. By the way, let's try not to turn this topic into a flame war against/for fastest maps. :p Yes, I've played both fastest maps and normal maps on SC since the game came out years ago. And, as I've stated in the above link, I won't be playing fastest maps on SC2, but will support it as long as players demand it.

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Fastest maps are teh suX0rzzzz... -_-'

But seriously, nice to see that the people who like these can still play them in SC2. It's just something I don't like. :/

3. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    oh christ, hope this doesn't get more popular than ordinary melee

4. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    There's very little that ISN'T possible in the current editor. I'm interested in a fastest possible map that let's you build your command center/nexus/hatchery/lair/hive right next to minerals. I didn't finish videos two or even watch video three, so if that's already possible, nevermind. >.>

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Why would you want fastest when the current format provides far more minerals than you can spend anyway....?

6. FFenix

FFenix New Member

They want to build like max supply, then go mass production buildings, and build one unit in each and reach max unit count in one go. Rinse and repeat until they win or lose.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Sounds like Twilight Fortress.... :D

8. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    My best friend only plays Fastest, I was always a fan of non fastest, though I would occasionally play fastest with him ( Just to be able to play with a friend) We are both in the Beta and the other day we were talking... I think protoss is going to be.. very very.. op in Fastest.. In SCBW Zerg would literally get like 50 hatches and be able to 200 psi in one build cycle...now protoss is going to be able to do that...with 5 second warp ins..

9. Keldain

Keldain New Member

Winslow, AZ
    @Korith: I agree, Protoss will be impossible to beat in a fastest enviroment, given Warp Gates.

IMO: Fastest is a ****ty way to play SC, it requires no skill, no strategy, just mass one or two types of units (usually units that have both Ground and Air attacks) and throw them at your opponent... as stated above there's no skill or strategy to it, it's an alternative for people who don't understand how to play properly.

10. asdf

asdf New Member

lol@ entire fields of warpgates. i can imagine nothing but a row of 24 pylons and maybe 40-50 warp gates inside a protoss base. continuous warp-in. and maybe a mothership, just because there's nothing else to build.

11. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Agreed 100% In all of my games I've had at least 1 expo and 1k minerals as the end of each game. I just can't spend as fast as I get them. Money mpas only encourage turtling in my opinion. But there is a part of the community that like fastest/money maps. And it's nice to know that segment fo the SC community is catered for in SC2 as well.

12. asdf

asdf New Member

mass queen + spine crawler push? 100 warpgate zealot waves? i'm not sure how much more you could do with unlimited/fast minerals.

13. Galaxy.ein

Galaxy.ein New Member

If you don't study and play it competitively then you have no idea what you're talking about. I consider myself mainly a low money player, but I've studied fastest competitively as well. To say it doesn't require skill is absurd. You want to be a real-150 apm player ideally to be able to handle it. I'm like 130ish and I get by. There is plenty of macro, micro, and strategy involved. The late games are VERY interesting and sometimes you have to fight for a long time over some small advantage. It's very difficult to explain how it works but if you spent a lot of time at it it would dawn on you. Strategically speaking fastest is very balanced race-wise, but some locations aren't as good as others. Still it's not too unfair. And in terms of strategic diversity well...there is quite a bit of strategic diversity in fastest actually. And I'm talking about 1v1 play.
    The BIGGEST problem with fastest is that there are virtually no mirror match-ups. For some reason when two players go random they always get different races. I've had very rare cases where both players would get the same race. And yeah I know "you just don't understand probability." I do. I've seen databases of replays and played hundreds of games. It just doesn't really happen. Out of 20 games probably zero will have a mirror match-up. However this is not the case if one of the players chooses a race...which is one thing I dislike about the fastest community, their obsession on going random or protoss-random. I say do whatever the **** you want.
    Oh and about unit combination...it's about as complex as low money.

As for race balance...Protoss will be a serious problem. The map might have to be made custom and take warp tech away from Protoss as an option or something. Can you imagine +25 energy templars being warped in instantly for free storms? Lol.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  14. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    So you can turtle while never expanding yet still being able to make 24 BCs.
    Very gosu you know.

15. Galaxy.ein

Galaxy.ein New Member

Terran has a very hard time defending against Protoss.
    And against Zerg 24 BCs won't save your life.

16. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    I don't know maybe they will make it so all units are instant? I mean cause Zerg will produce the same... Obviously all the Terran units will have Reactors so they will be making two units at once.. So maybe they will just speed up production.. Afterall they will be UMS games now.. Not melee.. I still think P will be insanely OP though. xD

17. Amduscias

Amduscias New Member

Cologne, Germany
    Can someone try to explain to me why this should be fun? I mean, for example Starcraft 1was the best RTS ever simply for one reason: Balance.

But with the money maps all balance breaks lose. I mean, all of us who played in beta saw that even the smallest changes in gameplay and units had huge impacts towards the game itself. Things like "making the Thor smaller" seems like just a graphical issue, but combined with the small chokes everywere it completly changed the way the Thor was used.

Therefor: Where is the sence of playing a game that is (or like starcraft II: will be) nearly perfectly balanced the way it is and ruining the game with something like money-maps???

18. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    this map doesn't prove anything, but its fun to play because you can simply mass really fast, and becomes a slaughter fest. The winner of the game is usually the guy who goes mass void raids :/ so lame. there should be more space between the bases.