Exactly how OP are Reapers?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Sueco, Feb 18, 2010.

Exactly how OP are Reapers?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Sueco, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Sueco

Sueco New Member

So I've been looking at a lot of streams and uploads... and Reaper's look incredibly powerfull. They WTFPWN first tier light units (4 reapers can down a zealot without even getting hit), can use cliffs for micro insanity AND are very good at destroying buildings with the new mine ability.

They also destroy workers far faster than any other T1 unit and can take care of base defenses easily as well. I can already see the nerfbat swinging.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

As near as I can tell, it's cause of their damage type. They get annihilated any time my opponent sends a vehicle at them.

However, yeah, they utterly destroy workers, which I suppose is what they're for.

3. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    Well people back then were complaining how weak and useless the reapers were. So now they got a buff aye.

4. FFenix

FFenix New Member

Reapers are good, but they aren't marauders. In the long game, reapers are just expensive harassment units.

I found the burrow moving roaches SOOOO MUCH more OP. This REQUIRES the toss to build canons and terran to save scan/turrets up early.
    Don't forget if you don't focus fire, they regen sooo fast when burrowed. I find it a lot more "cost effective" than reapers.

Edit: Warp in.

This mechanice is not "totally" broken, but it is basically a 5 sec build time for any unit from the gateway. The CD is less than the time it actually takes to make the unit, the cost of upgrade it at the cybernetic core is only 50/50. This plus chrono boost on mins, makes toss very POWERFUL. Not over powered, but has slight advanttage over the other races IMO.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Just from watching videos it looks like the reapers building attack is too powerful. Something like 40 damage an attack. I think the damage is probably fine, but the cooldown should be longer. Other than that, reapers look as effective as i thought they would be, but not overpowered. I think if you could get about 10 reapers without your opponent noticing and create a diversion to draw out their army you could absolutely destroy their base, which probably isn't fair.

6. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Yes but that's part of the game. If you don't caught in the diversion in the first place then you have no worry from the Repears. So it'll up to player skill.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I've been able to counter them quite effectively. They'll be in my first vid.

8. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    They hit fast and hard but they also die fast and are also gas heavy for early game.

I think what catches people off guard the most are the D8 charges, you can't just put down some static defenses and be okay or run your workers and expect your buildings to be safe while you take your time to react.

They'll still get mauled by just about anything but light infantry and buildings though.

Maybe the damage could use a little tweaking though.

9. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    I thought that Reapers would only be usefull vs units like Zerglings and workers but they are apparently better than I thought since several youtube videos shows what can happen agianst unprepared opponents. They appear to be to be either like a SC1 Firebat with less hp and armor , no stimpacks, but with faster movment , clifflimbing skills and anti building weapons or like a SC1 Vulture with less hp, no spidermines and slightly less damage but faster shooting, cliffclimbing skills and anit buildning weapons.

However players probely underrate Reapers rushes and they will soon adapt probely, perhaps after some tweaks like making them slightly slower without the speed upgrade and that speed upgrade would increase speed to the exact same speed as thier maximium speed today.

10. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I mainly think they need at least one upgrade because it would be like giving stalkers blink right out of the box.

11. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    reapers aren't really OP I was watching a video on youtube today and the other dude got you or three into his base and he simply murdered them with some roaches, sure there was like 15 roaches but still.

and they do seem good at base raiding, they took out two or three UNGAURDED expantion ATEMPTS in about 3 seconds. mostly cuz they had just started building for like 10 seconds then they came in and he had to cancel so maybe it only looked like they took it down really fast. (cuz when you cancel blood goes everywhere!!!!)

12. VPC

VPC New Member

Hrmm I dunno. I think that they are one of those units that have a "so-so" kind of status. They have their ups and downs if you get my drift.

13. FFenix

FFenix New Member

They are decent and no longer OP as of the last patch. They still have their uses as their hit and runs are still deadly, but not game breaking. They can also kite melee units with ease.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  14. konman795

konman795 New Member

Reapers are nicely balanced, but most effective early on in the game in my opinion. Late game, not so much anymore. I usually make a few in the beginning of the match if I'm playing against Zerg or Protoss.

15. MPower

MPower New Member

Yeah Reapers aren't too powerful, sure they can just about out micro everything in t1, but then again if by some chance roaches, stalkers or marauders are out the reaper goes down in 2 hits.

16. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i once closed a game with 3 reapers sniping a protoss players pylons. he rage quit.

in short vs a lesser player there strong vs a on par player it depends more so on opportunity, vs a pro .... well... theres nothing you can do but pray and micro as best as you possible can :/

17. Scanspeak

Scanspeak New Member

Reapers are a good well balanced unit, they are effective in the early game but at the same time - easy to counter with Roaches, Marauders, stimmed Marines or Zealots with a Sentry. They need gas so you can`t have many in the early stage. In the late game - they are still usefull but not that good as in the beginning.

18. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    What people aren't taking in to consideration is using them late game. The terran don't really have any quick mobile unit like the stalker or zergling (taking out the hellion of course). They can still be used late game, ever think of making about 10 in your spare time? Base raiding the hell out of someone. This can literally kill all their workers within seconds.

19. DarkCommander

DarkCommander New Member

Canada
    No, No, and no, they are far from being overpowered. They have weak hitpoints, they die so fast even to zerglings. They have very good attack but they aren't OP since you must micro them so they stay away from the ennemy. They also can't be your main army unit, they will get raped. Only time they are useful is harassing ennemy base, and this dosen't make them OP. They are like some Blink stalkers but even weaker. Stalkers can blink on a cliff kill a few SCVs then blink down.

20. userstupidname

userstupidname New Member

Hmm, Man I really am going to experiment with late reapers, especially drops just trying to get it to work hmm