Evolution and return to original

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kraft, Mar 2, 2008.

Evolution and return to original

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kraft, Mar 2, 2008.

1. kraft

kraft New Member

Sorry if this coment is already been in the forum, but my idea is when the zergs evolve, theis can return to his original state.

For example, the lurker can comeback to be hidralisk, or the guardian can comeback to be mutalisk. What do you think about this?

Sorry my bad english, I try to write good.

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    You have fine English!
    I don't like this idea, its against normal evolution, because you can never evolve backwards (i learned this in BIO)... Gamewise i don't think it would fit too...

3. PainKiller

PainKiller New Member

The idea is interesting, but I don't think it should be in StarCraft 2.
    Zerg players don't have to worry about transferring too many hydras into lurkers cause he can only turn them back to hydras if it comes out that the enemy is massing air(just an example). I don't like how that will effect the gameplay.
    The player should know how many hydras he want to evolve to lurkers, and when that choice is made there is no turning back.

4. kraft

kraft New Member

hmm, you're right, but they must consume mineral and gas to evolve backwards, or something...

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I'm not a fan of this. It's adding complexity to the game that's not needed. I doubt people would take advantage of the feature anyway.

Evolving backwards is technically possible. We have lots of "junk DNA" which often consist of old, unused genes. When this DNA is expressed, it's called an atavism. Much (but definitely not all) of this DNA is mobile, called introns.

Nerd moment warning!

There's a bunch of real life examples, such as various related species of grasshoppers. Some have wings, some don't. The wingless ones can be coaxed into developing wings if you mess with them a bit (give 'em hormones, etc) because the genetic pathways for creating wings are still there, but they're not expressed.

However, over time, if the grasshopper species remains wingless, then random negative mutations crop up in the wing pathways. Because there's no selective pressure for keeping the wings (insect wings are "expensive" biologically) these mutants don't die out. (So what if they can't develop wings anymore? The other members of the species don't grow wings anyway!) As a result, over time, the wing pathway will be lost, at which point the species cannot "devolve" to grow wings.

End nerd moment!

But this has nothing to do with the Zerg. Evolution requires reproduction of some kind, and when a Mutalisk turns into a Guardian, there's no reproduction. The Guardian is the result of the "nesting form" of the Mantis Screamer (forerunner of the Mutalisk), which basically means it's an adult Mutalisk. In effect, going from Guardian to Mutalisk is going from adult to child. That is also possible for some insects (such as termites; their endocrinology is freaking weird) but I'm running out of nerd power, so I'll stop now.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes if you mess with them, but not nature-wise, and therefore only Kerigan could be able to do that stuff....

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I think the whole idea of not being able to evolve back is what makes zerg cool. Say there's a bunch of marines shooting at your mutas so you turn them into gaurdians. Then all of a sudden wraiths come and own you. It's that kind of thing that i like about zergs.

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'm not too sure about this idea. Not allowing the units to change back was what forced the player to decide what he should compose his army of and forced army management techniques.

9. Rex

Rex New Member

Not a wise idea I would say,but good suggestion. Think about a butter fly's evolution, can it turn back?? Try thinking realistic.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Technically don't the Zerg metamorphize, like bugs or amphibions where certain species can hold back their adult stages. Theres even a salamander which doesn't go to adult form at all cuz it suits the habitate better and over time evolution has allowed it to reproduce in its 'un-mature' form.

11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    man...you guys know so much!!
    all i learnt in bio is mutation, DNA strands, meitosis, evolution by darwin's theory...and other stuff that is not as important...lol...

Kimera757, love your info :powerup: . i learnt something new man! gj
    =]

EDIT: oh yes...back on the topic..lol almost forgot..haha
    well yes, i rkn this will actually be a bad idea...makes abit too overpowered? its like changing units to other units that you need...(like changing a wraith to a goliath....if you know what im trying to say??)

so i say no to that....

and another thing i found weird; when, say for example, your hydra is nearly done morphing to a lurker, you can change it back to a hydra....isnt that weird?? lol! lorewise, the hydralisk is nearly done mutating to a lurker, so if you cancel it, it should look like a deformed hydra/lurker. But i guess it was ok to cancel the mutation since its only a game and also gameplay wise.

12. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I'm with AcE_01, i don't anything about bio other than when two adults zerglings get together, pretty soon your have lots of baby zerglings. Game-wise, I don't think this should be in the game. If a zerg can switch back, there's a lot less tactics involved with how many units to mutate.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Is this irony? Cause there's the Viking, y'know. :p

14. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    i think it wouldn't be bad for there to be a way to evolve backwards, but it would have to cost minerals and gas. This could add to the strategy of getting air fighters, and could (maybe) save a zerg with a lot of lukers if his opponent goes air, but realistically spending money to turn into a less powerful form is going to be a disadvantage to the zerg player.

15. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ahem. *clears throat*
    one can clearly see that the irony of a wraith changing to a goliath implies that this is a similar thing of the idea that kraft made; mutating back to the last zerg evolution.
    The Dialouge of this also shows that change is inevitable and that people find it hard to accept change. thus wanting a particular unit back for strategywise. Also One can clearly see that lorewise has nothing to do with change and that change is a hrd thing to accept.

back to normal self*
    so yeah...what DE.50 was saying.
    i think that it would be inbalanced...say for example you are protoss and you masses zealots and the enemy masses air. then your gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GONESKIES I TELL YA!! so yeah, you cant change the fact that you still have all those zealots. this would be same if i implied it with the zerg. if you allow mutation back, then zerg would be overpowered.

lolez =]

16. kraft

kraft New Member

hmmm... terrible idea...

sorry =(

17. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

ditto, its not really wise to do so. its not like biology can mimic transformers

18. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    who's ditto?
    who are you referring too d00d?

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Ditto as in as have been said before, the same.

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    OHH RITE! cool man tahts cool...
    lol =]