Everyone's trying to redesign the thor but...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 31, 2007.

Everyone's trying to redesign the thor but...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 31, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont really see why you would want a mech as a ground superiority unit.

I think a strong tank is a better option, less of a target and more stable overall.

How would you guys feel for another tank in the terran arsenal?

2. Overling

Overling New Member

Bad. Siege-tank already taken the role.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The idea of having a large walker was that it was unique. Having a second tank makes it a Siege Tank clone which is against the SC doctrine.

I actually don't even think we need a change to the thor. It has a different role from the other units already

4. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Well i fail to see how the thor isnt a pumped up goliath/viking

with the exeption of bombardment

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It can't fly.

It can hit air units while on the ground

its fires more slowly

it can tank (more HP)

It can bombard making it good for cracking defenses

6. eclipse

eclipse New Member

but that is also everything a siege tank can do with the exeption of hitting air right?

7. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

multiple tank = CNC

8. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    People just love the idea of a huge beast-unit, so they are desperately trying to squeeze it into some sort of uncovered niche even though it doesn't really have one to fit in.

9. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, the Hulk unit is already on Carrier, BC and Ultralisk. Increasing in size/cost doesn't make a better unit.

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Well you listed all their differences about flying hitting air units while on the ground, but i its still, a small walker mech and a big walker mech.

So i dont see why we cant have a small tank and a big tank.

I mean multiple mechs is Tiberian Sun, if you say that multiple tanks is C&C

11. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

another tank would be stupid, might as well make a super marine too, while we're at it.

12. Overling

Overling New Member

Why not a 4 legged walker, like I proposed? It would escape the Mecha and the Tank similarities.

Thor as it is is a Tanker, but why not make the walker cover allies under it as an umbrella? It would be against ATG-shots, enabling SCVs to stand beneath it while repairing...

13. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

to be honest, i actually do not mind adding another armor unit. It just cannot be too specialized on a certain role, yet it still has to be unique. It has to be a unit that no matter how far in the game you are, it'll still be useful. The reason why i didnt like almost any of CNC games that you have a armor unit that does exactly the same thing, but one is just stronger and people will tend to purchase the stronger tank later in matches because they have the economy to afford it. But even though i do not like units that have similar roles, it does not mean there has to be a unit that specializes in a single role. That why the firebat was taken out, even though it specialize against melee units, the firebat soon to prove useless once you have access to higher teir units or the units that firebats are good at killing are more superior because they have more useful upgrades (I.E upgrade movement or faster speed attack), stim pack can get you so far.

I approve of the Mobile Bunker as an armor unit

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Colossus, stalker and immortal are all a bunch of 4 legged walkers.

hillzagold, there IS a "super marine" and its called a firebat. Terran has 5 infantry units as it is (marine, medic, reaper, ghost, firebat) so adding another marine wouldn't even be noticed. Adding another tank makes it TWO, not 5 or 3. Its a big difference. There is 2 two legged walkers, 5 infantry units in only ONE race and 3 4 legged walkers, but only ONE tank. WTF? How would another tank be stupid? Do you think that stalkers are stupid too, since protoss already got Immortals and Colossus's?

15. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

well technically there only 4 infantry, firebat is only available in custom maps. But anything that is four legged is not terran

16. Overling

Overling New Member

Correction: Stalker has 3 legs, and I meant for a 4 legged walker like a dog, not like an insect.

If it goes for a Star-wars model, it becomes completely different from Immortal, Colossus and such.

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well, technically, it's currently back.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    @Gasmaskguy the difference lies in the fact that each of those infantry have there own unique role. If you added another tank what would be its role? Would it be artillery because the Terrans already have a ton of that (thats actually why there is a problem with the Thor)? Would it be a unit that just breaks down the front door because that is also the current Thor's job and I dont see how adding another tank is going to help anything. Really all you are talking about is changing the model of the Thor because another tank is going to suffer the same problems the Thor currently is.

So I guess the question becomes what are you arguing against the "Thor" or its role?

Personally what I think needs to be done is to make the Thor more of a tank in the WoW respect. (aka something that can take a ton of dmage and draws fire) So my suggestion would to remove the Thor's 250mm cannons and give it something that will either let it take more damage and/or give it something that will help it take damage for other units.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I never said that it should be another artillery unit just because its a tank. I never said that Terran infantry units didnt have different roles either. Units dont have the same roles because they look same; that was my point.
    Some people say that making another tank-looking unit would overlap the siege tank, but thats like saying the marine overlaps the medic just because they are alike.
    This Thor-replacing tank would serve as a meatshield, just as the Thor, but instead of having the artillery cannons which overlaps siege tanks, they would have a little extra hp. They should concentrate on being shields.

20. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Meat shield eh

I'm with the idea that there should an infantry that specializes in a grenade launcher. It can attack air and land.