Error?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Kaaraa, Jul 18, 2009.

Error?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Kaaraa, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
  2. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    i think the swarm guardian was replaced with the brood lord

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I'ts a wiki dear fellow.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I know that, but why would a Corruptor morph into a Brood Lord when a) it's a complete U-turn from it's original purpose and b) the Mutalisk can already do the morph?

And Fenix, wiki though it may be, that site has been surprisingly on the ball with it's information...though I suppose even the best of 'em have slipups :arghh:

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    well it seems that this source that Brood Lord evolves from Corruptor came from Starcraft 2 Legacy Review, they played on one of the most recent builds so far, but did commented that the idea was a bit odd.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Mutalisks can't mutate anymore. Which doesn't bother me.

It's just the more awesome for the Zerg Kaaraa, just think about it. The Mutalisk is a much more all-round air fighter since it can attack both air and ground. It will always be useful. The Corruptor on the other hand becomes useless as soon as the enemy stops producing air units. No, wait, not anymore because now it can suddenly turn into a tier 3 ground hard counter!

Since you know that if it comes to it you can morph all your Corruptors into something still useful you dare to use them more, giving Zerg an AtA you can mass for an occasion.

7. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yes very interesting..

8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I want a vote for the Mutalisks' name be changed into Stagnalisk (muta is for mutation, stagnant speaks for itself)

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    So freedom, should Hydralisks be called something else because there's no fluid involved in their attack animation anymore? Maybe... Spinelisk? Spikelisk?

Didn't think so.

10. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    how about slugalisk? nyaarrharharharharr

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    At first thought, this seemed rather pointless. Regardless of what the cost of the base unit is, as in the unit it mutates from, surely the Brood Lord could just make up the balance. Both the Mutalisk and Corrupter can be massed at the same rate, and the Brood Lords will still cost the same in the end, so there didn't seem to be much point.

However, after reading GMG's post, this actually makes a lot more sense. I'd just assumed that Brood Lords would be made with the specific intention of making Brood Lords. In other words, regardless of whether the Brood Lord started out as a Mutalisk or Corrupter, it was made initially created with the intention of making a Brood Lord. However, that's simply not the case. With an ever changing army, the ability to adapt has become much more prevalent. If your opponent shifts focus for any reason, a significant amount of your army's firepower is no longer useless. It can near instantly evolve to counter the new threat instead of continuing to fly around as expensive scouts.

In addition to the change, take that everyone who thought that Lurkers had to look like Hydralisks simply because they evolved from them! Now every mutating Zerg creature resembles nothing of what they can become! Not Larvae, Drones, Zerglings, Hydralisks or Corrupters. Overlords, maybe, but nothing else.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Another thing: The Terran and Protoss AtA are similarly adaptable. Vikings can turn into ground targets (and gain a GtG attack) and Phoenixes can turn ground units into air targets. It really helps you dare mass them if needed.
    In SC: BW for instance, massing Valkyries was limiting yourself to AtA.

13. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I agree but it seems a little unusual that they would stray from that comforting muta morph stuff.

But this is SC2 and everything has changed so I can live with that. Not to mention that I'm not sure how often currupters will be used. Unless the enemy goes heavily on BC's or Carriers. But maki g them adapt like that is a cool point of view. I also see a loop hole though. If you're facing a ground based army and the enemy changes to air ur broodlords have just become expensive (and helpless) scouts. Were the terran just go to air form and the toss just att like normal.

14. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    If you can't tell if your enemy has a ground army or an air army until it hits you, you're doing something very wrong. Scouting should tell you that they have the tech for an air army, or a ground army, and should reveal the actual units before they become numerous enough to attack.

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Hmm... if you are referring the word "hydra as hydration" in hydralisk, you might have misinterpreted it, since the root word was supposed to be "hydra as serpent" right?? So technically He still has a valid name to use.

- It's strange that an evolution type unit can't mutate anymore. But what if Mutalisks can makeup something else for that? Like giving it an attack evolution i.e. a choice between the Devourers corrosive spore or the Seeker spore which can track invisible enemies?? just an idea though.... But above it all, the Corruptor to Broodlord evolution is a brilliant idea gameplay wise.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The root word, hydra, from Latin actually specifically means 'water snake', as opposed to a regular snake, which would be anguis, serpens or vipera, so if we're getting into derivations, it doesn't have a direct link.

Even if the Mutalisk doesn't mutate any more, there is absolutely no reason to change its name. Firstly, it still mutates from the Larvae, so it's not as though that's got nothing to do with it any more. Secondly, to no longer mutate it still has to have mutated or evolved. Thirdly, it was originally known as a Mutalisk, as and such it will always be known as a Mutalisk. It's simply a misnomer. There would have to be thousands of misnomers in real life, so I hardly think it matters in the slightest in a game.

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

The winds of change didn't pass by the mutalisk, tough luck, but yeah, he once was a proud evolver so no problem with that.

18. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Wow, a simple yet brilliant change. Blizzard just made my favorite unit in starcraft 2 even more awesome, I give them a salute.