Engineer unit.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Nov 9, 2007.

Engineer unit.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Nov 9, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

It can be infantry, or a SCV like mech or a little buggy/truck/small tank.

It can build gun emplacements, hidden turrets(think terran missions in closed areas with chaingun turrets from walls), SAN sites,it can lay minefields(spider or similar) and remove mines of course.

It can also repair units.

Its ultimate ability is to fully transform into a powerful turret, without the option of going back to regular form.

Or.

It can transform into a powerful turret with the option of going back to normal mode.

For the fun of it, it can be made so its built from the Engineering bay.
    Does NOT have any form of attack. All building abilities cost resources, as does its repair.

2. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Sounds great! I would really like to see a Terran engineering unit. In fact, now, as the viking went to the starport, it might be actually possible to fit this unit in the game. Awsome idea! I'll post some ideas of mine later ;).

3. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

I don't think this would go along terran style. They already are flexible enough, and an allover map building race, this might op them to much.

4. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Nice idea but I can see it working out more as medic for vehicles with a couple of special abilities. Would prefer another combat unit though rather than a non-combatant. NC's tend to be ignored by a lot of players whereas everyone can enjoy using another melee unit.

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

this suits terrans very well, building offensive things all over the map, its great imo, suits the sieging, defensive offense of terrans. If you prefer to just attack move your army thats fine...dont use em, but terrans never were a attack move only race

6. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

I don't know... sounds way too much like Command and Conquer. I think the SCV is sufficient...unless they had a new Super SCV that is expensive, and can instantly fix anything and has alot of HP. (But its expensive!!)

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

How is that command and conquer?

There isnt a non combat, non resource gathering unit that can build defensive systems other than what you can build with your workers.

These will be like battle engineers, tough, but no damage of their own and they build things on the battlefield.

8. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Yes it is C&C. Many mods for cnc generals have combat engineers. Terrans already can move all over the map with great speed. By adding a unit that can build defences all over the map you can OP them to much. This would give bouth protoss and zergs a great disadvantage. I say it's no good for SC and any of it's races. And as binarybanshee said - i'd also rather have a ombat unit than non combat - the empty slots are for factory and/or starport.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

meh, i mean you can just similate a battle engineer with SCVs and bunkers all the time, this will just be more practical.

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Well, I can't say I've played a game where construction units have real combat roles. I think it's just to much to swallow, considering an engineer would have to have all kinds of specialized construction equipment, and then, to fight, it would have to have all kinds of specialized destruction equipment. It would end up being slow and expensive. These are tradeoffs that people do not typically like to make for flexibility that can otherwise be achieved by producing two different units.

I actually don't like the idea of a combat engineer just because of the fact that it would be constructing structures that really have no place in the StarCraft universe...for being so specialized, as well as the fact that it would essentially relegate the SCV to a mining unit... at which point you might as well rename it the SMV...or something.

11. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I think that now, as the nomad has been given the ability to create defensive turrets, it might be the Terran engineerig unit. I for one like the gatling cannon, or whatever it's called.

12. Thalion

Thalion New Member

SCV shoul stay as the only engineering Terran unit. It already can repair units and build great Thor.

Altough placing hidden turrets is interesting idea... I don't know... maybe Campaign Legendary SCV able to make them?