Editing Zeratul's Blink

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by bongalak, Aug 30, 2010.

Editing Zeratul's Blink

1. bongalak

bongalak New Member

I'm trying to edit Zeratul's blink ability so that it does damage in a straight line to all enemy units caught in its path. Kind of like Raynor's railgun ability, but with the caster being teleported to the target point as well.

How would one go about making this?

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I haven't played with the editor AT ALL, but is it possible to add two seperate effects to an ability?

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm working almost solely on SC1 knowledge but it seems to me as long as you were okay with whatever was in between him and his teleport point being killed, you could set a "trigger" (I'll have to look more into this as I get into the editor) for all buildings/units/etc. within the area of his teleport to die.

You might also be able to set those units/buildings to take a specific amount of damage but that depends on how robust the command line is. But I wouldn't hold my breath for finding a way to actually get the system to recognize the teleportation itself as an attack. Going to have to be round-about.

4. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Ignore the above. Sorry Jon :\

Create a new effect of type "Create Persistent." Add the raynor snipe create persistent effect and the zeratul blink effect to the Effect - Period Effects data field. Set the Effect - Period Durations to 0. This first bit will combine two effects, the second bit will cause the lag in between each effect to be zero so that they occur simultaneously. Now create a new ability of type "Effect - Target" and add your custom Create Persistent effect to this new ability. You can fiddle around with the two effects you added to get the desired graphical representation of each effect.

5. bongalak

bongalak New Member

I have done as instructed and created the ability, but it does not work. I'm sure I've done everything right, created the unit button and everything. But when I use the ability all the unit does is move to the target and nothing else. What am I missing? Is there something else I have to edit in the effects field?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    You may have not given the correct ability command in the ability command card.

7. bongalak

bongalak New Member

I tried everything on data, but couldn't get it to work so I instead made a trigger that makes me teleport to the target location whenever I used by railgun ability. And it works! Still thanks for the advice ^^

8. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    If you would rather do it without triggers, go ahead and upload your map and I will take a look. While trigger-run abilities are powerful, it is generally smoother to have completely data-driven abilities.

9. bongalak

bongalak New Member

Yea, having it be done by data would be nice. Here is the map.

I've edited the few things in railgun ability and blink ability so you might have to reset them before you start.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    See what I did with the "Raynor Commando - yep" ability and the "yep" affect.

Attached Files:

11. bongalak

bongalak New Member

So that's what I forgot to do, to create a new tag in the effect section and combine the abilities there.

Dude you are a lifesaver man. Thanks a bunch ^^

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My title says it all. :D!

13. bongalak

bongalak New Member

Ok this will hopefully be my last question on this thread; the ability works fine, but it has no sound. I've tried fiddling with sound tags but nothing works. Any way to fix this?

14. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Look at the events for the zeratul-blink effect and the railgun snipe effect. You should be able to copy the events that deal with sound effects.

EDIT: I actually think the events are located under Zeratul's actor. Copy the sound effect events from Raynor's actor, maybe?

15. bongalak

bongalak New Member

It worked! I went to the Raynor sniper impact actor and changed the effect to be used on blink. Well I think that's what I did. Thanks mate ^^

16. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Anytime. :D!