Dropship ability. transform to ground transport.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Mar 4, 2008.

Dropship ability. transform to ground transport.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Mar 4, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

since the dropship looks and plays boring why not give it an ability that allows it to transform into a ground transport so that it will be safe from ata and gta attacks. with that the terran gets their first ground transport vehicle. hoooray!
    but the marines wont be able to shoot from the inside ofcourse. :p

unlike the viking, when you switch form between dropship and "name of dropship in ground mode here" it will cost resources. or maybe it could be a permanent transformation. 8)

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Nice idea, very unique to have a ground transport unit. The way I see it, it shouldn't cost anything to transform it temporarily. It should get increased armour in ground form (~5) but no hp increase because that would just look stupid (it already does for the Sunken...). Although I don't know how you could balance this out because obviously if it's too strong it'd need to be weakened but then it'd lose it's purpose. You couldn't increase the cost or the build time because that'd be unfair against Terran to make their basic transport unit hard to get. Maybe we could half its capacity in ground form or something.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I liked it. Espesially the increased armor, as you are giving up speed and mobility for a more reliable trip. So this would be the chosen method to transport important units to the field, especially heavily under fire locations.

4. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

This sounds good, but what would be the difference from transportation by flying? Avoiding AtA and GtA? Well, then wouldn't you be at the mercy of GtG and AtG?

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Air mode:

Faster transport but extremely vulnrable and if the Dropship goes down you lose units and if they are important you could find winning harder since you wanted to exploit a key moment.

Ground mode:

Less mobility but a lot tougher. You are giving up the fast way for the secure way, meaning you can reinforce your forces directly on the the battlefield without losing your transport.

Lots of tactics can be used with this such as decoying, blocking, flanking, etc

Only thing I'd say is, it cannot transform if units are loaded.

6. Ych

Ych New Member

I like this idea.

On top of that, they could maybe make the ground mode carry more units. Of course, if it is too imbalanced, then by all means, scrap it. But I think making the Dropship have the ability to transform would make them a lot more unique.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think this is really a great idea. the transform mechanic would look nice as well. the terran should maximixe their transfroming ability since i find them in sc2 to be that way so the dropship with a transform to ground transform ability would be great.

i think it will be imba if the dropship with troops inside can transfrom into ground mode and vice versa. so the dropship can only transform if there are no units inside.

dropship - fast and can easily transport units anywhere.

ground transport - since it gains some few buffs, then it can be use as a heavy transport and can serve as a tank or shield for the units inside.

also im thinking it should be permanent transformation. if you transform you dropship into a rhino transport tank (cost resourcess) you cannot switch it back to a dropship again. the visuals would change much because if the ground transport gets increase armor etc, then it should look beefier and tougher than the dropship.

8. kuvasz

Hungary
    Then I don't like it anymore :D that'd be cool. Just imagine seeing 10 Vikings and 5 Dropships hovering onto your island, then landing and having 15 mechs charging at you. While the Vikings and the unloaded Marines start to chop at the enemy you unload some Firebats (I prefer it over the Marauder because it has a better name and equipment) right under their noses and you scorch everything up.

As for changing it permanently, I think they would quickly become useless once the enemy has reached tier 3 and would pick them off easily. But if it worked like that then of course it could have increased hitpoints and/or armour.

9. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

In ground mode, when it gets destroyed, do the units die or do they fall out?

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

im not sure. its up to us. this is our idea anyway. ;D what do you think? IMO all units should die inside, the ground transport have increase armor or something so you have plenty of time to unload your units before it gets destroyed unlike the dropship which wont last long against turrets etc.

11. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

I think I'd vote for units survive and fall out. So, when your opponent destroys it, they think it's over-until a group of Marines, Mauraders, and Medics fall out and start laying waste to everything around them!

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Nah thats not good. Its also imba since you could get a group of them and run straight thru the enenmy base into the middle, then unload tanks.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

When they're in ground mode, they should act as walls.

14. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yes they should die if destroyed in ground mode..
    also, i think giving it more armour in ground mode is OP. drops tactics are good enough already and to make it ground thats even better.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If its overpowered whats the point of transforming then. On the ground you have more stability than the air meaning you could possibly take more hits, which translates gameplay wise into more armor.

Zeatul you should draw what the ground mode could look like.

16. kuvasz

Hungary
    I don't see how it's better to have a ground form of a transport ship.
    Air:
    • travels relatively fast
    • travels freely - no obstacles or terrain
    Ground:
    • moves slowly (like a Viking)
    • can encounter all sorts of things that can hinder its movement - enemy units, critters, water, doodads

That's why it should get an armour boost.

17. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

This is a cool idea, and it would give the terrans its own unique transport like the protoss and zerg do (if overlords are in).

I think:
    - it should be able to transform with units onboard.
    - armor and hitpoints the same for both forms.
    - on ground form it is a lot faster then air (like a vulture).

18. kuvasz

Hungary
    Even if its capacity was halved it would mean that with ~4 Marines it could move as fast as a light bike with 1 person on it... I don't think so... unless the units would come out all bruised and damaged ;D

19. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

then I guess people who come out of the flying drop ships would be bruised and damage . . . but oh wait, they have safety buckels to keep them from moving. . . you know, it just might be brilliant enough to work . . .

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I agree with nothing you just said.

How can something change its whole form with multiple units inside, it isn't possible.

If they are the same for both there is no change, there is no choice, there is no reason to change mode. Having different stats allows you to adapt to a situation which is the whole point.

If it is fast like a Vulture what is the point of the air form if the ground mode has high armor and speed, that just isn't something which happens. More armor = slower speed. Relate to Thor, section 900hp, possibly the slowest unit in the game.