Dragoon vs. Immortal vs. Stalker

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by EonMaster, Oct 11, 2007.

?

Which unit do you think is better for the Protoss?

1. Immortal

33.3%
  2. Dragoon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stalker

66.7%

Dragoon vs. Immortal vs. Stalker

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by EonMaster, Oct 11, 2007.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    During the introduction of the Protoss at Blizzcon, Blizzard designers said that the immortal was the replacement for the dragoon. For those who are unfamilliar to the history of the dragoon, I will give the basic information. The alter created to make the dragoon body. Unfortunately, Aiur was attacked by the Zerg and almost completely destroyed. When Aiur was destroyed, the alter that was used to create the dragoon body was contaminated and no longer useable. :(

In order to stay alive, the Protoss created upgrades for the remaining dragoon warriors, mainly the hardened sheild to protect it from excess fire. But because the alter is destroyed, the dragoons/immortals are slowly dieing out from the continued war with the Zerg and Terrans. Soon, there will be no more immortals left on the Protoss army since no new immortals are able to be created.

But I am confused about them. Many say the immortal is unable to hit air like the dragoon did. Does that make the immortal less useful for the Protoss since they lost a anti-aerial infantry, or does the the addition of the hardened sheild make the immortal equal in usefulness in defence and attack for the Protoss?

Another unit related possibly to the dragoon and immortal could also be the stalker. Its ability to hit air units and ground units and the ability to teleport may make it better than the origional dragoon.

What does everyone think about the best unit to use. The Immortal, the Stalker, or the origional Dragoon?

2. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well just from a lore stand point the stalker is much better becuase they can keep producing them but lets get back on topic. :afro: I like the stalker better for the protoss, becuase I consider it a light, skillful dragoon.The stalker wont be as physcially strong as the dragoon was but it can still hit air. :toilet: So if it was at that it would be worse but since it has the blink ablity that makes it 20 times more powerful than a dragoon in the hands of a skilled player. :army: As for the immortal I really dont think it is better than a dragoon since it cant hit air and all early game units but zealots go through their shields, so I think its really be turned even more into a support unit only usable for certain cases. So my list would be in my opinion Stalker, dragoon, than immortal but the dragoon and immortal are pretty close but I would have to say stalker wins.

The simleys are in just to break up the wall of text.

3. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    LOL, I like your smiles. But back to starcraft 2. I feel the same way about the stalker. Its ability to teleport will make it much better than the dragoon. But I think the immortal will be better for the defences.

4. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Yeah I know, no one ever uses those smiles so I thought I'd give them some love. :drunk:

I do believe the immortal will be useful but I think the dragoons were better..... acctually sorry about this but it just struck me while I was typing another sentence. Just becuase the immortal hard shield doesn't activate doesn't mean it cant still take those early units, and by looking at how fast they killed those siege tanks, (when you consider how many tanks there were and that siege tanks have probably at least 200 hp) they will probably be quite useful now that I think about it. So I would like to change my opinion to immortal above dragoon, but it's really hard to say when I dont know its exact stats.

5. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Where's your source? It doesn't sound right. To protect the immortals from dying out, they remove their anti-air capabilities. It contradicts their purpose. Assuming a group of immortals and zealots are marching to the opponent's base. They get intercepted by a few mutalisks. The whole army has to run back to base, or wait for reinforcements, just to get rid of that few mutalisks.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the dragoon in my heart will always pwn these imposters

7. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    the dragoon was useful only after the range upgrade, then it was awesome.

8. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

http://infoceptor.net/starcraft2/units/protoss_ground.shtml

If you check this link and go down until the immortal (it might be a little hard to find) you will see that it is confirmed that they only attack air ground . I got this link by searching this site, burkid origanlly posted this link in the goons vs immortals thread.

Yes I messed up i put air instead of ground, and I will leave it instead of deleting it just to show I mess up.

9. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    LOL ssjfox, it says only attacks ground, not air. You must have put air by mistake. But finally I see a source that proves it. My origional opinion was from what others have said on parts of other forums.

10. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Yeah your right eon I messed up, I'm glad that I've been able to verify it for you but even if it cant attack air I think it's still pretty good.

11. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    @ssjfox:

Very true I think the Immortal is best because it is physically stronger in almost all aspects. Its health is higher than the Stalkers hp+sheilds combined supossedly and it has higher attack. Also the Stalker is really good because it has the very useful Blink ability but the Immortals Hardened sheilds is just as good if not better because (really think about this for a seacond) it only activates when a strong attack hits it like the seige tanks attack, anything explosive, or an attack over 25 attack that is ranged and compleatly renders it almost usless. So an attack of 50 would drop down to 10. Also the Stalker has the same attack as the origional dragoon but not as much hitpoints but with the same sheilds and has longer range than the dragoon even with its upgraded range. So my conclusion is that Immortals are better than Stalkers and Stalkers are better than Dragoons and that Dragoons aren't even useful anymore. the end.

12. JuG

JuG New Member

I think that this is pretty much a dragoon vs. stalker only because the immortal is an extra ground ranged unit.
    The cybernetics core in Sc1 we all know that lets us produce dragoons but in Sc2 the cybernetics core lets us produce stalkers. to make the immortal you need to build the twilight council, which is only available if your build the cybernetics core first. So the first ranged unit you get in Sc2 is the stalker.
    (I know this from the Sc2 protoss tech tree)

Anyways i like the dragoon, i'll miss microing with it :(
    The stalker cant always teleport all the time i think there is a cool down and energy for the teleport.

13. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I was terible at mircoing so I wouldn't know how good it was with micro.

I was pretty good in marco except they kept trying to leave the main force to attack random enemies on the map LOL

14. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Thank Aiur that I am a supa crazy pro and I am hella good at Micro and Macro.

15. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Its crazy seeing the way the Korean pros mirco with the constant clicking and ability to control an attacking army and base defences at the exact same time. I get dizzy just watching them and loss track of what exactly is going on.

16. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    They were either clones of me or your imagination. Only I am that good (I am joking to all you stuck ups)

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    LOL, there's plenty of Koreans that micro like crazy. look at sites online. I would name a few, but I would be afraid of a moderator noticing this post and...LOSS OF MINERALS MUAHAHAHA!!!!!

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Here we go again with the "which unit is better" Once again I have to tell you it is hard to make that decision because the immortal has a different role than the other two. It is for attacking heavy fortifications so you can't compare it to the other two. All you can ask is "How useful will it be compared to the other two?"

As for the goon and stalker I do think the stalker is better because it fires more rapidly which is great against basic infantry and the blink ability will be really useful

19. Wraithwatch

Wraithwatch New Member

A little bit off topic, but it does affect my opinion, do we have some sort of verification on the Stalker's total energy, and how often it can blink? or is it unlimited with a cooldown before each 'port?

Sorry but I honestly haven't seen it any where.

20. JuG

JuG New Member

yea, BirdofPrey I was tryigng to say that lol