Discussion unit - the Mutalisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Aug 30, 2009.

Discussion unit - the Mutalisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

What is your take on this unit in SC2.

I personally think it costs a bit too much (maybe a cost of 75/75 would be better) and the glave wurm should do full damage to its 3 targets. Also It may need something else to give it a bit more luster and they should make it so the Mutalisk is the one who evolves the brood lord not the corrupter.

Maybe they should of had a new updated mutalisk instead of the old one for sc2.

2. exe

exe New Member

You have no arguments.

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
  4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

there should be an upgrade for it to get a 4th hit and the bounce hits do MORE dmg. they are seriously lacking at the moment.

5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ya i think thats a good idea.

Something else I thought about too what if when they die instead of dieing outright mutalisks spit into smaller flying guys each with 30 health that instead of 10 damage do 5.

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

you know come to think of it. in lore, i think i read somewhere the mutalisk is making a small zerg from inside of its mouth and launching that as its attack. why doesnt the same unit just burst from its body when it dies?

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First, the cost all comes down to balance.

Second, the damage all comes down to balance.

Third, not every units needs to be a powerhouse. Staple units are a necessity for StarCraft.

Fourth, the location of the Brood Lord mutation all comes down to balance.

8. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Aww comeon Itxa get a little creative....

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Being creative is pointless if absolutely everything is just as creative. Instead of getting units that stand out over the less dynamic staple units, everything just becomes plain, on par, and unnecessarily complicated. The staple units, such as the Mutalisk, are the units that enable the creative units to be creative.

The Mutalisk is already lucky enough to be a staple unit with a dynamic attack.

That, and I'm creative enough already. :p

10. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Oh I understand where you are comeing from 100% but I still think its stats need to be tweaked a bit for sc2 (like getting a slight change in cost and the glave wurm doing full damage to 3 targets) but thats just me.

Example of 2 units
    archons are basicly the same but for balance reason atm (atleast blizzcon 09) they have 2 25+10 damage attacks while DT are basicly the same as they where befor.

Ok personally do you think with current stats that it has atm do you see it being changed in any way and if you could add or change anything what would you do to it?

11. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I don't see the reason for a mutalisk makeover besides having back the broodlord mutation back, though you do have a point there about it being unchanged for SC2 whereas other staple units have been buffed such as marine health zealot speed, zerg patting, etc. But still its subject for balance depending on how they think ZvZ matches would come up,.. Ehrr, scrap that, I think the reason they did that is for players to come up with different tactics with new units.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Personally, I do see the current stats being changed, and I see them being balanced. Apart from that, to me, stats are meaningless, especially to us. It's a nice bit of information to have available to us, and we're far better off knowing it than not knowing it, but no truly valid assessment can be based exclusively off of them.

As for changes, the only change I really see is whether it evolves into the Brood Lord or not, though while being on the Corrupter does appear to add a lot of adaptability to the Zerg army as a whole, if I remember correctly the general consensus was that it was much better suited to the Mutalisk. I guess that the Corrupter still has a proxy ground attack anyway, through its corruptions, and really, whether it needs the ability to evolve into the Brood Lord is purely up to balance and gameplay, so I can't see myself making a definitive judgement either way.

13. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well the biggest regret I think blizz had to begin with dealing with zerg units is that they brought too many old units back but it will be interesting to see when beta comes out what blizz does to balance to zerg in general with the other races.

The biggest thing iv seen atleast with the mutalisk is that people want the brood mutation back but I think thats due to nostalgia reasons the second I can sense is that its not strong enough or the corrupter is takeing alot of the steam the mutalisk used to have.

Im mainly makeing points to see how people will react on one end or the other more or less to see what people favor and im personally (regardless of what I write on stats) not makeing any more judgements till beta on anything just as you are doing itza because things are changeing atm and nothing is set yet.

14. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Mutas suck-ass in SC2. Make mutalisks more cheap!

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I'm not going to say use other races that have staple units that havent changed like the dt or archon but i will say what everyone of us should be able to see and know right now. Zerg seem to be very lack luster tier 2 and even the people that went to blizzcon are saying this. I'm just saying if your not adding units at least make the old units up to date and useful. At least give the mutalisk back broodlord morph

16. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Atm the corrupter and mutlisk both cost the same so its not that big of a deal to change it and wouldent really help power the mutalisk in any way.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  17. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    whoa hold on doesnt muta still cost the same 100min/gas?

18. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    what is it about people that they just don't trust blizzard to make things work out right?

19. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

This is a disscusion thread not a balance thread.

I personally trust blizzard 100 percent.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

World of Warcraft... EVERY single patch 1 class becomes an over powered bastered and blizzard even after hours and hours and days and days of fourm QQs never fixes the mistakes. if you play it i'll just say this... 3.1 in that single patch one class became so overpowered which ever side had the most of that class in any battle ground simply won. Thats my reason for not trusting everything thats made by blizzard. While there only human and mistakes CAN be made we can only hope the mistakes that are made when there made will be little ones.

but back to the main topic while saying corrupters and and mutas have the same price is a good argument that still doesnt get away from the fact stalkers which is a mighty staple can easily counter mutas and terrans have 1 too many units that can fight agenst them. Ghost, marines, thors, vikings. lets not forget the people who love to spam missile turrets. As muta play would only seem useful vs other zerg it just doesnt seem right to have the unit fall to that from what it use to be in SC1. I think having the boodlord on them would inturn still give them some game play time as corrupters would be built either way Just for the reason of them being a powerful AA choice.