Diablo3 Forums?

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by ItzaHexGor, Jun 28, 2008.

Diablo3 Forums?

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Hey, I'm just wondering whether there's any chance that this community will either start up or add a Diablo3 Forum. I think it's pretty safe to say that there are a heck of a lot of Diablo fans here, just as there are a heck of a lot of WarCraft and obviously StarCraft fans. Whether it would be a new site, which may get costly, or another navigation tab, like how there's Portal and Forums at the moment, i.e. there could be a Diablo3 tab added, or even just another subforum, though that may conflict with the URL, I don't mind, but it's a great community and we're obviously all big fans of any of Blizzard's games.

I was mainly thinking of what would happen after StarCraft2's been released, I remember a thread a while back asking whether people would continue to visit and be active on the Forums, and either having a new Diablo3 Forum site, a new section on this site, or even converting this site, would be a great way to keep the community active.

Not sure if this was just a fun thing you thought you'd all do for StarCraft2 and will be sick of the whole ordeal by the time it's all over, but just putting it out there.

What do you all think?

2. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I like the idea in concept, but would this site be an overall Blizzard site? Or a Diablo3/Starcraft 2 Site? Get my drift. I mean hey if we as a community want to then go fourth and bring the word of this Blizzard Community to another game.

3. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

A subsection within Blizzard games is all it takes.

Many SC fans are generally Blizzard fans anyway.

As long as we don't start attracting God awful WoW players.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    As a subsection of this site, I was more thinking there could be a 'Portal' tab, a 'StarCraft Forums' tab and a 'Diablo' tab, or there could be a Diablo 3 subforum, similar to how there's a StarCraft2, Other Games and Social and Other Discussion subforum, etc.

@ JudicatorPrime. What's wrong with World of WarCraft players?

5. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Nothing, unless they're god awful like I described.

6. Ximnipot69

Ximnipot69 New Member

Huskvarna, Sweden
    Well, I'd love a good Blizzard Games forum, but the focus for this forum is supposed to be StarCraft 2. I have used DiabloFans and The Amazon Basin for most of my Diablo needs in the past. This forum is very broad and could support subforums for the WarCraft and Diablo games in an Other Blizzard Games category if people wants it.

7. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

I don't see the harm. So the site is sc2forums. If you add a subsection for diablo, that will centralize the diablo talk. If you do something larger, then you have a good chance at bringing in more people who are just googling for diablo 3 news.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Ximnipot. Yeah, I've seen those other forums, but they don't grasp me as much as this one does. The main idea was as another way to keep the community alive and active, especially for after StarCraft2's released as activity will almost definitely drop sometime after its release, though if there was a collective interest and involvement in Diablo3 as well, seeing as it will be released later, will keep the forums alive.

I'm aware this forum is focused on StarCraft2, and I'm definitely not trying to diminish that focus as, as great as Diablo is, I definitely feel StarCraft has much more potential and support, but StarCraft2 isn't the only thing discussed here. There's an Other Games subforum as well as a Social and Other Discussion subforum, so seeing as Diablo3 will definitely be another major event, it could have its own subforum, along side StarCraft.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Maybe add Diablo3forum.org on to this site and a new forum block

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Maybe, what what happens with costs for things like that?

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I don't know

How much does it cost to register a domain name?

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Why not just add another group? Else we should start up a new site, and its not sure the community would be the same then...
    Also:
    Starcraft 2
    Diablo 3:
    Other games:
    Social and other...:

The last solution would be to add another thingy (dont know the word), so we have Portal, Forum SC, Forum D3
    But I like the second option (another "forum-group") the most.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's what I've said a couple of times already, except I've also brought up what will happen once StarCraft2 is released and activity eventually drops, when 'StarCraft2Forum' will possibly become outdated and be used mainly for Diablo3, and not StarCraft2.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    IHG did you forget that there are a lot of things to discuss when starcraft 2 is out?
    Strategies?
    Helping new players?
    You just change the build up of the boards, so thats:
    Starcraft 2 Strategy:
    General/FFA/2vs2 etc.
    Protoss
    Terran
    Zerg

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never said activity would dwindle immediately, but if everyone still comes back here, rather than leaving here seeing as these forums will have served their purpose, which I hope as few people as possibly would do, then after the main tactics have been discussed and the storyline's discussed, there's no longer any speculation or theories. People still playing each other could just end up communicating over Battle.Net, leaving no 'use', as it were, for the forums. If Diablo3's added, not only will the speculation, etc, continue, but there would also be that hopeful spike of activity after it's been released to discuss the tactics, classes and storyline, etc. It's basically just giving the non-diehard forum members more of a reason to keep coming back.

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    WIth such a game as starcraft 2, it will take years to discuss main ideas IMO. In Starcraft, even 10 years after its developed, new strategies are still made. It took years before people thought of going 12 hatch outside the base against Protoss!
    But yes, ofc Diablo 3 should be added, but Im not fearing that the Starcraft "talking" would stop, even 1 year after the release. But perhaps its a question if we have enought advertisemens. I would at least use money on advertisemens instead of a new server.

Nice Avatar :)

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I would like to state i can put up with the return of TEXT ads to fund a D3 section of the site and would volunteer to administer it if it would help SC2Forums. Adding a D3 domain would boost users to both parts. People would come for D3 and wander over to the SC2 section . An inflx of new users would be particular invigorating as the forums have stopped growing as quickly with older users dissapearing over time

Face it though most people who are a fan of one Blizzard game are fans of more than one. It would make sense to allow for discussion of the other games. D3 has been anticipated as kuch as SC2 and does need attention because right now it is eating the other blzzard section

Also to alleviate everyone's fears. SC2 is still going to be interesting and talk won't end on it even after it is released. I have seen foruums active for games a dece old (other games some less popular than SC1) Most people follow more than one game at a time

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, but creating a new domain jsut archives the same as a new section doesnt it? If the whole grafics of the site changes when you open the section then it would be fine wouldnt it? I think a domain costs some money, and perhaps we should invest those in advertisemens?

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Even if it only links back to the same site having a new domain name increases trafic through self advertisement.

Just look at RoosterTeeth.com
    How many of you know who they are? Didn't think so
    I bet you have heard of RedvsBlue though

Most people come through there using the domain name Redvsblue.com. Its a slightly different skin but has the same contents (with the exception of videos being segregated between machinimas based on domain)

Even if more users and another domain means more costs (which can be made up some through advertisements) it also means being seen by Blizzard and getting the exclusives and getting OUR questions asnwered. To me thats worth more than the monetary ammount paid to support it.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I doubt StarCraft2 will allow for a timeless forum. Pure StarCraft1 forums wouldn't have remained active for all these years despite new tactics being discovered and used.

@ BirdofPrey. I could easily cope with text ads, even a couple of proper ones in the Portal menu, though once I swear I got a glimpse of something quite inappropriate being advertised on the old forum layout. Hopefully it would just my overstimulated imagination, as I never saw it again after that.

About funds, just curious, is there any chance of getting some support from Blizzard itself? StarCraft2Forums has consistently been the top of the StarCraft2 fansites, and seeing as all the members would hopefully be voting for the Diablo3 domain, or whatever, as well, well, that's got to be worth something. Top of StarCraft2 and high on the Diablo board, places like Diablo Fans will obviously be hard to beat at first, but I'm convinced things would snowball. Anyway, even if it was just an ad or two for them, Blizzard ads would obviously always be accepted, it would definitely ease the pressure.

EDIT:
    You just blew my mind!