Defiler Ability: Acid Rain

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Imagine., Sep 13, 2007.

Defiler Ability: Acid Rain

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Imagine., Sep 13, 2007.

1. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

This is not real, only an idea that I would like to share with others.

Since the Zerg retreated to Char at the end of the Brood War and have not launched any attacks or made any overt hostile actions for four years, we know that the Zerg have no doubt become a lot more fierce and have improved (based off of the StarCraft 2 gameplay trailers.) The Defiler was one of two units to cast spells in the entire Zerg unit structure, I think it is time that is garnered a new ability.

Acid Rain
    200 Minerals - 200 Vespene Gas
    Cost: 200 MP
    Range: 8

Once this particular ability has been evolved, the Defiler will be able to produce and project a volatile cloud of acidic components into a desired position. Once launched, the cloud thickens and begins pouring harmful chemicals for 30 seconds. These chemicals affect buildings, mechanical units, and biological units by corroding armor and clogging weapon's with a semi-solid residue, slowing down rate of fire or even shutting down the weapon system completely. The rain also deals one point of damage every two seconds.

The effects are lasting and cumulative, thus impairing affected units so that they take longer to return fire as well as sustaining more damage when attacked. Simply put, the longer any unit is present underneath the cloud of Acid Rain, the more the negative effects will accumulate.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

too much like psy storm

3. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

It is really a light form of plague put together with the Devourer's "special" attack. Nothing like the Psionic storm ability unless you are referring to the fact that it deals damage over a period of time.

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i don't think the effect should be cumulative, apart form that it's a good idea

5. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Pritty good idea there but it should have more range so it's more of a semi super weapon but a cheap one and is it acid so it instantly kills infantry and / or hurt's vehcles?

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I've thought long and hard about Zerg casters, and I feel its simply time for new ones.

We have nothing at Tier 2. Give us something decent there. This could be an ability of it as well. :D

7. coreyb

coreyb Guest

It sure doe's sound great that idea , I like it :p

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i'ts like ensnare basicly, just it does a little bit of damage and can slow down building production, i guess. will it reveal cloaked units? it sounds like an ok idea just the concept has been done before.

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It's a good idea. I like it! :powerup:

10. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    It sounds a great idea! very original!

11. moobox

moobox Member

Very cool idea! I like it a lot.

The Defiler is one Zerg unit that I really would like to see the return of. If Blizzard brings it back, I can feel it in my bones that it is going to kick major ass. Acid Rain totally fits my image of something new I would like to see with the Defiler, great idea! I'd :powerup: if I could.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never particularly liked the Defiler. It always seemed to be the odd one out. Now I know that Zerg spell-casters are very hard to do, but of the two that they had, Defiler and Queen, I always thought that:

The Queen is just plain awesome. The look of it suited the Zerg and the spells/abilities were great, and again suited Zerg perfectly. However I always thought that Siege Tanks and Ultralisks needed some resistance to Spawn Broodling.

The Defiler........ Now, I'm DEFINITELY not saying that it isn't a classic Zerg unit, or that it's spells were weak. But it's appearance and spells didn't fit in with the rest of the Zerg. It seemed to magic as opposed to the Queens naturally occuring abilities.

I definitely think that the defiler, or defiler-like creature, should return. It's just a way of making the defiler and it's spells seem more natural, like bodily functions. Plague, definitely, and Dark Swarm could still return, but maybe it could be made like a cast-able aura. So instead of just making a plague or swarm, like 5 metres away, it could slowly slowly start emanating from the Defiler, making it more of an infectious disease infested creature, instead of a spellcaster.

13. terranupmyheart

terranupmyheart New Member

the defiler always reminded me a silverfish bug

14. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

its a pretty kool idea i like it. it may be sort of overpowered though, if it does all that damage and slows them down. but once again nice!

15. WonderBoy

WonderBoy New Member

How about instead of that, it gets an ability called "Chocolate Rain" which slows all enemies down, but heals anyone under it? ;D

Seriously though, i do like the sound of that. Defilers are always fun when you get to use them effectively i think, and this ability would totally add to their kickassity.

edti: sorry, forgot not everyone is as big of an internet geek as i am, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

16. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Huh? :-\

17. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Acid Rain sounds like Plague+Acid Spores. How exactly does the Defiler control weather anyway? A bit meh in my opinion.

18. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It disperses a cloud of acid and when it gets high enough it turns into rain.
    Something like that.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

@ ItzaHexGor , welcome to the forums, but you have succeeded in offering the exact opposite of the opinion held by most Zerg players on this forum.

The Queen was utterly useless and expensive. Not to mention it was extremely vulnerable due to its being an air unit. The only usefulness it had was Ensnare and Broodling, and the first wasn't nearly effective enough (didn't slow rate of fire) and the second was WAY too costly in mana to be effective considering the cost of the Queen.

I never used it and still don't use it as it's a waste of tech resources and generally yields very weak results. It is much better to simply tech to the Defiler. If you're talking in terms of how these caster units fit the Zerg race in general, then I agree that the Queen does fit a little bit better. But she should be much more useful than currently in order to hold a spot in SC2. In my opinion it's time for completely new casters. We especially need one at Tier 2.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Are you kidding? Queens were my favorite unit as Zerg, besides the Zergling and Scourge, and I always had at least 3 or 4 in my army. Not it is a problem that they couldn't attack, like other flying casters (except the Arbiter), but it's spells quickly made up for that. Also, being a flyer did not make it vulnerable, if anything made it easier to get away.

It's spells were great as well. I used parasite all the time just to check out what was going on in my opponents base, Ensnare was great for getting a quick escape, detecting Cloaked units, slowing down an incoming attack force, and even (my favorite) Ensnaring half of the enemy attack force, so their attack would end up coming in 2 waves. Spawn Broodling was well worth the Energy, especially with the Gamete Meiosis upgrade that gives it more energy, and was a good way of slowly wearing away, or just plain harassing the enemies forces. Infest Command Centre was a way to quickly finish off an enemy Command Centre and even better if your forces wouldn't have been able to finish it off on their own. Getting rid of the enemies command while a group of Zerglings raid their SCV's really screws over their economy and give the player a HUGE advantage.

But the Defiler, with it's Plague, although it helped a heck of a lot while you were attacking or defending (assuming you didn't get your own guys with it), couldn't actually finish off the units. I found that the post-plagued units were always just kept in bunkers/healed by medics, left burrowed on creep to heal, or kept by a Shield Battery. But then again, maybe I was just unlucky, or up against smart opponents. Dark Swarm was good when up against air units, but ranged ground units could just walk inside it, protecting themselves as well. Against air units though, the player's Hydralisks and such could easily be lured out with Irradiate or Disruption Web. Also, I never felt like Defilers even used up enough energy to need Consume.