Deep Freeze Questions

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ursawarrior, May 15, 2009.

Deep Freeze Questions

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ursawarrior, May 15, 2009.

1. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    well, im trying to clean a flash disk (by clean, i mean remove viruses inside it) for a buddy, and i thought it would be a good time to freeze my laptop and test it out, so i was wondering about the effectiveness of deep freeze and i have a couple of questions...

1. is it 100% effective? meaning in any form of virus attacks, will it just restore back to the original settings?

2. can i not-freeze a specific folder?

3. must i have system restore on?

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    As in sticking it in a freezer!? Where you keep food? :s

3. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    hurr hurr

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Weird. Just use the file shredder in ccleaner. That should work pretty good to keep people from reading deleted files. Maybe not the most skilled ones, but how 'classified' was the data?

5. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    ahem.....deep freeze preserves the current state of a PC, any changes made will be undo'd by deep freeze, this means if you freeze a non-virused pc, then chocked a lot of viruses, they will all be gone in the next restart... this means you CANT make any changes whatsoever (add files, edit, etc) when a pc is frozen

im asking how effective this is... asking if anyone has tried it

6. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

My school installs deep freeze on every laptop they give out to the students. It's set up to preserve the laptop wth the software they have put on it and then only allows changes and things to be saved into the my documents folders then when the computer is restarted it reverts back to the saved state plus whatever was saved into the my documents folder.

So
    1. From my experience with it, it is 100% effective at wiping everything that wasn't in the saved state. The only way you should be able to get a virus would be if you had a folder that allowed changes and the virus happened to set itself in that folder.
    2. yeah you can leave specific things open to changes
    3. no idea since i haven't set up the software myself

While i can't tell you about the set up of the software, it does work great from my experience. It will absolutely wipe everything not set in it's saved state. It is really effective preservation software and should delete any viruses you manage to get.

oh and a little warning, make sure to set it up so your cookies are always saved. It's really very annoying to have your cookies wiped every time deep freeze activates.

7. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    foxxxxxyyy!!!
    havent seen you in a while, anyways thanks for the info
    im gonna install it in my gaming laptop (w/c has no internet access) and treat the laptop as a "suicide" device for virus'd flash disks

8. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

yeah i haven't posted in a long while, just been lurking around the forums. But i figured since i actually know a little about deep freeze I'd try to help you out with it. Good luck with it and your virused drives.