Dark Templars - Cloaking

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Psionicz, Dec 6, 2007.

?

Happy with this change?

1. Yes.

100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Dark Templars - Cloaking

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Psionicz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I note that there is a thread discussing whether Dark Templars can cloak or not but heres evidence they cloak and uncloak.

Notice the marines attacking the blue glowing DT.
    [img width=150 height=124]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8255/93964320070827screen005bg7.th.jpg[/img]

Now notice the blue glowing ones and the cloaked one.
    [img width=150 height=128]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3656/93964320070827screen004bj6.th.jpg[/img]

And notice how there are no detects anywhere.

I think this change is good as it balances the Protoss out and requires more strategy to use DTs, plus they seem stronger and faster. But the blue glowing form looks mad gay.

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

That's false.

Dark Templar cloaking is still permanent. In that picture, the Dark Templars are probably player controlled, so that we can see them. A detector such as a Sensor Tower that would enable the Marines to see the Dark Templar is probably just off-screen. Or a Scanner Sweep has been used. But trust me, Dark Templar more or less the same as in the original.

As for the blue glowing form, I disagree. It looks fine - not bad (you should probably not use the word 'gay' like that).

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If a Scanner Sweep had been used there would be obvious signs of it, considering they even retained that ability. And if they were Scanned explain why the cloaked one is in the middle and the uncloaked DTs are outside of it?

Also if there was a Sensor Tower in any, the bunkers would be firing at them, which in both they are not... so they are either unmanned or the 'cloaked' DT is simply a transiting graphic where the glow appears and doesnt, who knows. But to me it seems they can freely cloak and uncloak just like on the StarCraft2.com site, it shows a DT uncloaking and cloaking.

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Starcraft 2 website shows the DT uncloaking and cloaking for effect, nothing more.

If a Scanner Sweep had been used there would not necessarily be obvious signs of it. Remember, in the original, units remained revealed a few seconds after the blue sparkles disappeared.

As far as the first screen shot goes - all of the DT are revealed, yes? Blizzard is showing the screen from the vantage point of the Protoss, hence their visibility. The Marines are able to see a few and shoot at them either because a Sensor Tower is off-screen or a Scanner Sweep just happened.

In the second screen shot, the Bunkers are not shooting at the DTs because they cannot see them. There must not be a Sensor Tower around, nor a recent Scanner Sweep. Once again, here all of the DT are shown on the screen specifically so Blizzard can show them to the audience (and must be the vantage point of Protoss or an observing player). And the DT in the middle is no more cloaked than the others - it is just harder to see. Maybe this is due to the way the screen was captured combined with how the DT was moving/facing. Or, as you suggested, Blizzard may have put in a brief flickering effect, and the screen shot happened to take that exact moment. I personally think the former.

But again, trust me, the DT is more or less the same - permanently cloaked. It has been confirmed by Blizzard many times and by people here who played the demo at BlizzCon.

5. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Or it could be that the Protoss and Terran actually have shared vision. Remember these aren't real games, they're just staged senarios for screen shots.

6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I'd have to agree with quanta. They may have shared vision since these aren't real games, just action shots for news pages.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Hmm true. So can anyone clear this up with proof and facts?

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Some sources:

Starcraft WIki :
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Templar_(unit)
    (under Starcraft 2 section, mentions permanent cloak)

BlizzCon '07 Report :
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/news.html?page=1&sid=6176212
    (use find to get to Dark Templar quickly, mentions 'natural' cloak)

Numerous People on these forums who played the demo. You'll have to search hard to find where they mentioned, or PM members. But I figured these two sources above should be confirmation enough, and didn't go through the trouble of doing this.

If you think about it too, Blizzard shows these screen shots for 'wow' and 'showcase' factors - so naturally they are going to show cloaked units regardless of what is going on so we can see them in action.

9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I can confirm that, as of BlizzCon, Dark Templar had permanent cloak.

nenerman13 is actually partially correct with the "flickering effect" thing. Since cloaked units are lit with lights that only affect the cloaked unit, and contain similar "invisible lights" on their bodies, viewed from different angles or different points in their animation some of the brighter lights can be obscured (by the cape, for example) causing the unit's absolute visibility to vary.
    This what I believe is happening with the DT labeled "transition." The one labeled "cloaked" I believe to be in the transition between being detected and being undetected. Fully cloaked units are about as visible as they were in the original.

10. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    As long as they keep the visual distortion you see when an enemy cloaked units is moving. Without that cloaking would be too op. Cloaked units are fun to use, this new transition will be an interesting addition to the cloaking mechanic.

11. OriginalSin

OriginalSin New Member

one thing is that HOW THE F*** are you gonna cloak his blue aura

12. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The blue aura is only so that a player can see them... Dark Templar don't actually have a blue aura! (if they were real haha)

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Maybe the blue aura IS the cloaking

14. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

They'll stay permacloaked. they'd be next to useless if they weren't. They weren't exactly known for their durability.

15. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yes, they are weak, and only useful with perament cloacking, else they would be killed before amushing the enemy or something
    So I won't vote, cause the change isn't in