Dark Templar Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Aug 8, 2007.

Dark Templar Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Ych

Ych New Member

What we know as of now is that Dark Templars are exactly the same as their SC1 counterparts in terms of their mechanics. The thing is, every single unit that has made a comeback from SC1 has undergone some minor changes with the exception of Carriers and that I also believe will undergo some minor changes in the distant future. What I would like to see is that Dark Templars also get something unique to them so that they would be a bit different from their SC1 counterparts. Here are my ideas.

An ability that would temporary increase their movement speed. But when activated they would also have a penality that would recieve more damage from enemy attacks. So during an all out assault, it is not wise to activate the increase movement speed because you would die very quick. But if you go for a sneak attack or escape, the increase movement speed could prove to be very useful.

Another ability is the backstab ability. If you attack any units from behind, you would deal bonus damage to it. (Kind of like the Stealth Assassin ability if anyone if you has played DOTA). This ability would force you to micro your Dark Templars during battle and would also seperate your average SC2 player to your pro SC2 player if they manage to maximize this passive ability.

If you guys have any other ideas for the Dark Templar, post up.

2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Hmmm i forgot about the dark templar not getting any new abilities.
    My suggestion for a new ability is a temporary increase in attack speed at the cost of the drak templars cloak.

3. Ych

Ych New Member

That is actually a very good idea. I like it a lot more then my tempary increase movement speed ability. I think it wouldn't make it imbalance too and really fits the theme of the Dark Templars. :powerup:

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I like the backstab thing, but it should be passive and add like 20 dmg, it should only work vs biological units.

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Yah the backstab does sound nice but it also feels way reminicesent of WC3 and the dark templar is an outstanding unit as is so any ability that is gained would need to come at some sort of a cost. (Im not saying the dark templer doesnt need a new ability in my opinion anything that is exactly the same as its SC1 counterpart needs something new to make the unit fresh again besides a new model)

6. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Umm, so lets see.

1. The upgrade could be like tier 4
    2. The upgrade could cost a crapload
    3. While the backstab it done it temporarily de-cloaks the DT

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

the only thing i can think of and that is very much suited for them is the ability to jump on cliffs. dark templars are stealthy and the ability to jump allows them to escape more effectively. then jump down from cliffs again then attack opponent at the bach then jump up back again to escape adds the cunning factor for them.

i think protoss should get 2 cliff climbers (colossus and dark templars) just to counter terrans massive ground bombardment.

oh yeah the backstab ability would work nice with the jumping ability.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    @Ghost

Again backstab is really reminescent of WC3 and definetly WoW also it would hard to judge whether or not the unit is behind a unit or not (unless the unit is enormous like the thor) and what would happen if you accidently hit an enemy worker in the back doing a hit and run? (your dark templar would be slaughtered) either way after the upgrade is bought it would require a ton of micro so it is useful. And even if it is an activated ability the amount of micro needed would be enormous without that much of a bonus. Like i said originally it would be really be remicesent of WC3.

EDIT: Zeratul11 i think the idea to go up and down cliffs would be great, it wouldnt make very many balance problems while fitting an assain like the dark templar.

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes it wont cause they are not tanks and they have health similar to the probes. lol

uhm, dark templars are VULNERABLE against detector because of low hp, so allowing them to jump up cliffs would be a great advantage for them and counter their weaknesses.

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Ok, I see where your going with the back stab thing and I agree.

@zeratul11: Yeah, a jumping (or leaping) ability would be kewl.

11. I dont think the dark templar needs any new ability. I dont like the wall climbing because it takes away from the uniquness of the colossus. A backstab ability would require too much micro so I dont like it. Instead of an ability maybye just an upgrade like more shields or regeneratable health.

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I definitely think the Dark Templar need some new angles. Perhaps Blizzard should play on their strengths that we already know. Stealth is one of them, but they are also said to have some magical properties, especially related to their ability to permanently kill Cerebrates.

Supposedly this ability comes from their concentrated psionic abilities that allow them to throw the kinetic abilities of other beings out of whack. Maybe a new ability of the Dark Templar could be to throw units into even more confusion than their attack already does. They could cut off Zerg units from their Overlords and have them attack each other and cause confusion, or cut off a group of Protoss units from their psionic link with their comrades. I'm not sure how you would use this ability on Terrans, but maybe a mild form of mind control similar to what the Dark Archon had.... only temporary and would allow the DT to confuse the units enough to say.... drive off a cliff?? Or drive straight into enemy forces.

EDIT: This would definitely not be a passive ability. It should require mana.

13. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I still think any new ability for the Dark Templar should either not be that big or have a downgrade come along with it because the dark templar is already a great.

P.S. also the dark templar had a level of power over cerebrates because they had a similar kind of pyschic energy as the overmind which created them.

14. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

like the ghost, DTs need an attack that deals good damage. Silencer, or something of that nature.but how to make it unique from the ghost? i suggest that the attack does a percentage of damage to (biological? or mechanical too?) units, either 20% or 40%, and would also cripple them , either by cutting attack power in half or reducing mobility. think of it as a DT slicing off a limb or part of a vechicle.

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I think the ability to just be able to move up and down cliffs would be enough without overpowering the dark templar.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    WHAT?! Show me where ANYTHING says that the Dark Templar were created by the OVERMIND!!!!!!!

The Dark Templar are a sect of the Protoss who believed that the Protoss were becoming too reliant on the Khala and decided to shun its beliefs. They were exiled from Auir to Shakuras and remained there in exile. They were NEVER influenced by the Overmind. That is a totally false statement.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I never said the overmind created the dark templar i said they just share a certain kind of psionic energy. They talk about it a ton in the first protoss campaign.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The only similarity they have is that they use psionic energies to communicate with each other. It is possible for the Zerg psionic energies, similar because they were also created by the Xel'Naga, to overpower the psionic power of a Protoss, thereby infesting them. This is evident from the affliction of Raszagal when she was infested by Kerrigan.

The Dark Templar share the same attunement with themselves as the Overmind. They are able to kill the Cerebrates because they can sever the link between them and the Overmind. This supports my proposition that the Dark Templar could be used to create confusion in the psychic link between units, and possibly mess with the minds of the humans.

19. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I could believe that. Joneagle all the info i have is from the games campaigns and what has been on blizzard sites.

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Blizzard likes to change their mind about the info they post. Trust wiki ;) Or read the books for yourself.