Dark obelisk = detector?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DontHate, Aug 5, 2007.

Dark obelisk = detector?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DontHate, Aug 5, 2007.

1. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Ok, i have this idea about the dark obelisk. It unlocks the dark templar and is a stationary detector for the protoss. This would make sence becuase the dark templar are the "masters" of the shadows or something, i guess. Anyways, the terran's stationary defense(turret) isn't a detector any more so this is just a thought. also it would make sence because in a lot of the screenshots there are multiple dark obelisk's around the base defenses.

2. Cerebrate

Cerebrate New Member

Rather expensive detector...

3. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Perhaps its not so expensive, and it would be a way to naturally make i dificult for the enemy to abandon their efforts in detection. If it's harder for them to eliminate your DT making structure because you have so many of them, then they surely will have to make detectors aswell, otherwie you can make Dts anytime and get them by surprise. With these, you won't spend your money on detection alone, or waste it. Once you make these structures, the nemy will have to spend money on it aswell.

4. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

I always thought there was more to it than just an building to unlock DT's... in most pictures and videos its placed within or near phase cannons, why do that if its a tech building? Unless it plainly has 120471285629562 healh and you're hoping your enemy will atack that instead of your turrets.

5. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Not really, it might be as frail as it is cheap. But spamming them as detectors would make impossible to stop DT production by destroying it's enabling structure, since you would have them in high numbers anyway. It would make using DTs more dinamic. And since it's such a high tier structure, why not give it another reason to be built all the way?

BTW, observers are in another building direction the protoss can choose, and they could easily replace fixed detectors. Another example of thing we have to see working to figure why it is the way it is. Perhaps to enable a DT rush without loosing the detecting skill you would have if you choose the robotics facility instead?

This would be a good explanation, because if you were to choose a DT rush without detecting cannons, you would be vulnerable to the same. With cannon detection gone, I suppose against a protoss, you won't be able to choose to go directly to starport without exposing yourself. Now you'll have to make either a Dark obelisk first, or go robotics and build observers. Otherwise the enemy's Dts will own you before you can do anything.

6. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

The Protoss already have Phase Cannons and Observers as detectors. Do they really need a third one?

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

phase cannons might not be detectors, as those were photon cannons. even if, the terran's missle turrets aren't detectors either.

8. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Exactly, without detecting cannons, you have to choose either observers or Dark Obelisks, and Dark Obelisks kill the enemy if he doesn't do the same. ^^

You get DTs AND detection. With Observers they just get detection. Who is ahead? If they get air, they still cannot see you, and you can kill all their probes: gg. If they attack you, even with mother ship, you still have detection and cannons. Dark Obelisk beeing detector is a very handy thing!

9. shadow

shadow New Member

not to unlikely that it is a detector, but........ somethings tells it isent.

would be pretty wierd if it was.
    but if it wasent it would be rather useless to have more than one or to of it. ???

aww..... my brain!!

10. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

oh yea? in sc1 go look at science vessels....more than 200 gas....

11. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Wouldn't an observer be less expencive, and it can move. Wouldn't that be the smarter way to go?

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The problem isn't price, it's... time. The building is WAY too high on the tech tree to serve as the basic detector, which is supposed to be tier 1. I mean, with Terrans you have to consciously decide to get detection by building an EBay instead of some other tech. The Sensor Dome is way at the bottom of the tech tree, yet it is only lightly used. The Dark Obelisk has 3 (4 counting the Nexus) prerequisite buildings, so, the building, even if were cheap, would get very, very little use. People would just opt for Observers.

13. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

I doubt that phase cannons can't detect invisible units. There is just no building or unit that is low tier enough, like the radar station, that can make up for the loss of detectability in time. Forcing to build observers has the same problem, the amount of work you have to put into to obtain them is far too much to just have a detector.

I suspect that the dark obelisk is a passively offensive structure. It seems logical to me in that the dark templar technology would be offensive because all of the units sacrifice defense and fortitude for stronger attacks. While I am not sure if it attacks units, if it has a purpose it all, then it would likely have a negative effect on attacking forces.

14. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

it would be better if phase cannons cant detect coz given their ability to warp in anywhere, they should have at least having the penalty of being a none detector structure.. or maybe unable to detect if cannons arent near from pylons??

16. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Yap you are right of course it would be better if phase cannons detect dat is a great Idea. llolol..