Dark obelisk cloaking field

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Oct 12, 2007.

?

Should the Dark Obelisk Have a cloaking field

1. Yes-without upgrades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes-but it requres an upgrade to cloak buildings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes- but it requires an upgrade before cloking anything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Dark obelisk cloaking field

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Oct 12, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It is time for another fine edition of theorycraft. This time I will be proposing that the Dark Obelisk provides a cloaking field to units and buildings around it.

So far as we know it the Obelisk just sits there doing nothing but allow you to build Dark Templar. Well it is time it gets more uses. I propose that the Dark obelisk gets the cloaking field of the Star Relic and now the MS as a passive ability. It can possibly require an upgrade to use.

It would help add to the dynamics of the game by giving a Protoss player an extra defensive ability to compensate for the lack of HP and attack power in the Phase Cannons by shielding the base from view.

The Obelisk would work like so.
    After an obelisk is built it emits the cloaking field cloaking all of the buildings around it but not itself.
    Obelisks will however be able to cloak other obelisks so if you build them close enough they will hide each other.
    If ever power to the obelisk is cut the cloaking field will drop an all units and buildings under its effect will decloak.

The upgrade options are as follows:
    -The obelisk will cloak everything from the start no upgrade required
    -The obelisk will cloak units from the start but require an upgrade to cloak buildings
    -The obelisk will require an upgrade to cloak everything
    ---This could potentially require 2 upgrades one for buildings one for units

What are your thoughts?

2. -LT-

-LT- New Member

This sounds like C&C3. I don't like it.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yes, i'm all for more use/vareity for buildings, check out my more variety in buildings thread for other ideas about buildings

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What kind of reason is that? Blizzard was built upon taking others toys and making them 10x better

5. -LT-

-LT- New Member

LOL All the answers have one vote.

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I voted yes - Upgrade required to cloak buildings.

It would cause more strategy in tech rushes....Cause, I mean....How big of an army do they really have underneath that field?

One thing, I don't think they should be able to cloak other DOs....Arbiter's didn't.

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

exactly the main use for cloaked buildings as i mentioned in the other thread is for blockade and tech rushes

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

this sounds like a pretty neat idea, but it'd be cool if it could cloak and be a detector.

not at the same time though.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think the Cannons should remain the detectors

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    No, I think that would be to much cloacking ability for the toss.. There's the mothership, the darktemplar..
    (And this would make the same effect as the motherships cloacking)

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The idea was for it to replace the MS cloaking

12. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

It would make sense context-wise, definitely, but it's still a building. Much better to have a unit to do all the cloaking. Perhaps the Dark Obelisk can have a certain aura that enhances all Dark unit's (Dark Templar, Stalker, etc.) shields or movement, something like that.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    maybe dark obelisks should have small auras(about the size of a CC) that replenishes mana?

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like that one too perhaps they could also make it the new shield battery too.

15. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I like the cloaking concept. If one DT can bend light around his body... a building full of them, concentrating, should be able to affect a larger field.

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Letting it cloack nearby units would be cool, especially if it would replace the Motherships' cloacking field because that one sucks pretty bad.
    Allowing it to cloak buildings seems shitty to me, I don't liked it in C&C and in an even faster game like Starcraft it would be kinda lame, but that's just me and the poll seems to point out that people have very different opinions about this one.
    Wouldn't it be cool to create an upgrade for the Dark Obelisk that allows GROUPS of dark Templar to cloack nearby units? --> Like when there are 3-5 Dark Templar around you would have some kind of ability that would drain power from all five of them and let them cloak units in a radius about as large as the one of the old Arbiter? And if one of the Dark Templar get's killed or strays to far away the effect would go away, so you would need some micro to use it and not let the advantage become to great.

17. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    I'd much rather it instead be something more like a limited cloaking field so that the most you can cloak with 1 obelisk is 2-3 clumped together buildings. I'd balance it out alot more and mebe give rise to some pretty nasty defensive suprises. Something along the lines of a obelisk and 2-3 phase cannons might become a funny little trap.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    When I first thought of this I was thinking of using it for the purpose of hiding cannon farms and hide expansions near the enemy. (warp in base anyone?)

19. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    It just seems to be more balanced if the field is shrunk to a more managable size. But protoss were always about quality instead of quantity. With this sequel it seems that even what numbers the protoss had before has been reduced making everything count. :p So...stealth bases from protoss just seems like it makes sense from thier PoV

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I never even mentioned a field width. That is open to interpretation though I figured at least 2/3 the size of a psi field would be needed so you still have room for the buildings themselves