Custom Unit Problems

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by DoSrsCa88, Aug 27, 2010.

Custom Unit Problems

1. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I am having trouble creating custom units. My units disappear from the data editor while I am creating them. Basically I create new object in unit tab and give it a name and ID and fill the other fields and then I do the same thing in the actors tab and then the unit seems to disappear from the data editor but is in the units on the Map window screen when I select Units. I tried duplicating the unit I wanted to copy and change but I end up with multiple copies of the same unit in the Actors but nothing in the units section of the data editor. I try to change the name of the unit and its properties but it doesn't work when I duplicate the unit. I am trying to create a new unit called Hydralurker which is a stronger hydralisk that can morph into a lurker.

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    What do you mean by "disappear from the data editor?"

3. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

While I am setting the properties for my new unit from the data editor I might go back to the terrain editor and do something. When I come back to data editor I can't find the new unit I created. I can't find the name of the unit anywhere in the units section or the actors section. And sometimes when I finish creating the unit and want to go back to the unit to change something I can't find it. It is in the Melee field I want to create it.

I am working on the unit then I click on the something on the terrain editor then go back to find the unit in either the Unit or Actors section of the data editor and can't find it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Whenever you create, add, or modify a value in the data editor, it automatically becomes a part of a custom dependency. You may not be showing data fields from ALL SOURCES.

5. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I selected All data in the data source field and I found 3x Hydralisk (green colour) from The map I was creating (named Kerrigans Assault), 1x Hydralisk Copy, 2x Hydralurker 1x HydraLurker from the same source. In the Actors section there is a Hydralurker and 2 copies of the Hydralisks attacks and things. I get it now so it saves it to the map you are creating not the data editor itself or the other dependencies. Thanks for that I was a bit confused because I also use UT3 editor and it saves differently in there. There is also 1 other thing I want to make sure of and that is you can't add values or abilities to existing units that are already there. You have to create a new unit altogether or duplicate the existing unit. Is that correct?

6. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    You can edit existing units/etc, but the source for that unit is changed from the normal dependency to your map.

7. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

So instead of creating a new unit and adding morph to lurker ability I can add the ability to the already existing hydralisk in the Liberty SC2 mod? I tried to do that but the unit properties froze when I tried to add an ability.

8. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Just because it freezes doesn't mean you can't do it. For example, for most people the editor will freeze when you try to edit about 50% of the existing upgrades due to data id bugs.

9. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Ok. But what do I do if it does freeze due to the id bug. Do I close down and re open the data editor?

10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I would probably duplicate the already existing Hydralisk, since it will probably freeze if you try again.

11. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Is it normal for the editor to crash a lot? Also if I want to see the the lurkers attacks and abilities do I have to put the SC2Liberty Campaign mod at the top of the dependencies list above SC2core and LibertyMulti?

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    For your second question, probably.