Current thoughts on the Infestor

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by JONHOVA, Apr 11, 2009.

Current thoughts on the Infestor

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by JONHOVA, Apr 11, 2009.

1. JONHOVA

JONHOVA New Member

OVERMIND
    Heres a couple thoughts i had on the Zerg casters in their current iteration:
    1.Is the Infestor intended to be a building caster and the Queen meant to be taken into infantry combat?

Zerg loses Dark swarm for Fungal Infestation. I am skeptical of the Infestor's effectiveness against all non massive units. A slow animation that gives opponents enough time to separate out that targeted unit (think s.v.), would be disaster for Zerg, and it would also be disaster if that damage isn't sufficient to surrounding infantry.

Protoss have 2 offensive casters. BOTH control an area of effect with Psychic Storm and the Nullifiers crazy force field ability.How can Zerg balance this out?

Is there any word on the movement speed of Infestors? Will you need to employ similar techniques akin to speed Shuttles and Reavers with your Overlords?

Lets get your thoughts on this.

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    We already have multiple threads on this. The most recent one is called "infestor inspector". I suggest to look and post there. It already contains lots of info and opinions. Maybe add yours to it? :D

And uhm, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The last thread hasn't been updated in two weeks though, so it's unlikely anyone will look at a couple of new posts.

I wouldn't bother comparing the infestor to the nullifier. They're completely different tech tiers. Between infestors and nydus worms, it's possible (difficult in the latter case) to bypass Force Fielded chokes entirely.

Fungal Infestation would be overpowered if it could blow up massive units. I could picture it damaging them, though, if Blizzard thinks of that. However, the number of ground massive units (ultralisk, thor, colossus) is pretty small.

A "warning" animation simply specializes the spell (not always a good thing); if you target a high templar with it, the other player will lose their high templar, period. If they're slow, they may lose something else as well :) This is something I expect to be dealt with during beta.

Infestor vs psi storm -- the zerg have never had an AoE attack (other than Plague, which was more expensive and more useful). They do now, though... the attack belongs to the queen. However, as far as I can tell, the queen is pretty slow, so you'd only use it for base defense.

Infestors are slower when burrowing than when on the ground. Otherwise we don't really know. I don't think they're fast though :)

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Has the zerg really lost the dark swarm? how did I manage not to catch that???

5. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Yup, its for true... What are all the zerg fanboys gunna do now?

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Play Terran ;)

7. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Thats my plan... :D

Player 1 - "Ha, what are you gunna do against my mid-game tank push now, you zerg player"
    Player 2 - "My own tank push! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

8. JONHOVA

JONHOVA New Member

OVERMIND
    NEVER! For the swarm! ..Although i feel like i know more Terran strats just from trying to counter them lol.

9. Nekron

Nekron New Member

Hell
    OMG! how could they remove the Dark Swarm!

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Omg! They did it by editing the code! Omg! :p

Seriously though: I highly doubt that the dark swarm will be left out in the final version. The zerg simply rely to much on close combat. Removing dark swarm will entirely change the zerg late game tactics. Which is a bad thing in my opinion.

11. Nekron

Nekron New Member

Hell
    rofl i'd like to see a sought of auto-cast dark swarm like infestor when its attacked releases a temp dark swarm but it has a cool down so the enemy has to micro and wait for the swarm to disperse^^

12. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    IMO dark swarm was a crutch that forced blizzard to balance the entire race around that one ability, and shoehorned zerg players into certain strategies.

13. JONHOVA

JONHOVA New Member

OVERMIND
    After seeings how the spawn infested marines was 5 marines that shot the same range as a regular marine and their health seemed to be as much as a regular marine, its not as crappy as i thought. Its a valid way to go antiair if you havent or dont want to tech to hydras.

Now compared to the defiler he is a bit on the big side. I could see him getting those nightwahk missles very easily. In the br2 the the roach wasnt able to burrow to hide so do you think that it was because the nighthawk could still see him or because the missle locks on you and ignores cloak/burrow?

14. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    I think it was because the nighthawk was a detector and could still see the units.

15. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Probably dark swarm will be added on the Zerg expansion ;)

16. Corrupted

Corrupted Guest

The infestor already has a few abilities to help fend off an enemy attack. It can call out it's own little army of Infested marines, not to mention if there's no detectors in the area, it can just burrow and slowly move away.

17. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Infested marines, a move that infects units and makes them expode, and a mind control ability all while being able to move while borrowed and being able to cast them in this state seems good to me.