Current Infestors

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by i2new@aol.com, Jul 8, 2010.

Current Infestors

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by i2new@aol.com, Jul 8, 2010.

1. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I wanna bring to light the infested terrens in this patch and how ODD there turning out. So today i played a few rounds and believe it or not in 2 matches i had an army that was either single handily raped by Infestors or like in my last match as zerg, i didnt even use my army to win.

So in my first match i want to talk about i knew good and well about the infestor changes and should of seen this coming. i played as protoss and did a normal stalker harass and felt it was going good until i herd a warning my base was under attack. Now i had cannons at my door and ignored it when i looked and saw nothing. Next thing i know theres 20 or 30 infested terrans with 2 weapons upgrades making there damage 10 !!! that wiped out my miners and just about finished my nexues with out even trying.

The next match that i watch Infestors dominate was in a 2 vs 2 as my partner got 5 Infestors hidden burrowed and sent them into the enemies main base. He quickly spawned well over 30 of these bastereds and ate half of his army. there was no GG, not any typed responds after the last infested terren went down he left.

MY first test of the new infestor was on twilight fortress. I'll admit i was inspired by this and wanted to give it a lil shot. To my surprise not only did i win with just the infestors not even having to MOVE my army once but the annoyance of them caused BOTH players to instantly RAGE. Basicly on twilight fortress the expansion is right next to your man. from the lower ground with an overlords vision i spawned about 30 of them and starved both of the enemies from there expansions nearly the whole game.

Now i want to ask has anyone else been able to notice the abusive potential for the redesigned spell?

2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Did they drop the energy cost for Infested Marines back down to 25? If so, it's a trade-off from when the Overseer had the ability - we've now lost mobility and gained stealth and cost efficiency. I found it pretty easy to fly around a dozen Overseers into the back of an opponent's base, but because Infested Marines cost 100 energy a pop, the most I could do was destroy the worker line and maybe take out a gas building at full energy. Meanwhile the Infestor version could probably tear through the worker buildings and begin to lay in to a few production/supply buildings.

There's no doubt that it's a powerful ability, but if the opponent hasn't even built detectors in their base by the time you have Infestors, then it's their fault for getting epically owned by them.

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

YES there back down to 25. But now they can cast the infested terrans from Underground. You wont see these things crawl into your base and fart out 8 infested terrens a peace. It just seems like for that coast on top of the fact you can make 1 un burrow and pop about 2 fungel growths on any incoming forces trying to deal with 30+ infested terrans in your base. Its just sad to see an army of walking zombies with guns doing nearly 10 dmg each walk over your base. And did i mention they last 30 seconds... they use to be only 20 seconds

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    did infested terrans get put back on the infester? last i knew it was slapped on the overseer with a buff of 125-100 energy each.

and I always though since you could spawn like a ton with one infester that you could take a few infesters and just using spells kill the enemy, glad to see someone used this trategy.

5. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    They reworked the infestor, from my memory, this is what changed.

Infested Terran -
    -Increased from 20 seconds to 30 seconds
    -Energy cost now 25 ( The infestor has 200 energy)
    -Infested Terran can be spawned from underground

There might be something else, if so I can't remember.

I personally havn't had any problems, but I reccomend getting some high templars with observers. Your feedback has a pretty good range and if their underground they won't expect it.

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

yeah it had frenzed removed. thats now a passive buff on the ultralisk and it was given infested terran but this time they seem to have a much further casting range and can be casted from underground.

7. Infestor's Neural Parasite has also been changed. Mind controlled units can no longer be controlled indefinitely, and will instead return to their owner after only 12 seconds.

I don't like this limited NP change because it makes the spell much less interesting. There used to be a tough decision to make after certain battles. Do I play it safe and just kill these mind controlled units, or do I risk using them to help defend this area? Now the answer is clear: just kill them 100 percent of the time.

You could use NP in more situations before, too. For example, a lone infestor cut off from your main army for whatever could capture any single enemy unit that stumbled across it and hold it sedated until some other zerg units arrived to kill it. That's not the ideal way to use infestors, of course, but it shows that NP was at least a somewhat versatile spell. Now the only way I can think of to make NP useful is to use it in the heat of a battle.

There was also that neat range limitation. You knew you could reposition any of your captured units, but it was hard to gauge exactly how far you could move them before you lost control. Every now and then this led to some neat micro-heavy battles where you had to flirt with that edge in order to deal some extra damage. Now the spell usually wears off before this limitation can come into play.

The old way could lead to a lot of really neat theoretical situations. For example, a zerg player could completely overrun a Terran expansion, replace the command center with a hatchery, and then use Terran's own tanks to defend it. The Terran player might then send a small group of cloaked ghosts in right through that tank line to snipe the controlling infestors. They would only need to take out a couple of infestors before the rescued troops started to fight back, freeing even more troops and soon liberating the entire base.

Sure that sort of situation is going to be rare (and probably rarer still among pro players), but those are the games people tell stories about.

We're losing a lot of flavor here, and so far I haven't heard any explanation that could justify that. There really didn't seem to be a balance issue with NP before, and even if there was I would argue that this is not the best way to fix it.

Also, what's the sense in having a channeled ability (and the only channeled ability in the game at that) that times out after only 12 seconds anyway?

8. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    I predicted the use of infestors to launch worker harrass awhile ago, so I'm not surprised you've encountered it, but I don't think it is hardly as abusive as you are suggesting. In fact I think it is a great thing they have reverted back to the old infestor form, making infested terrans useful again.

Infestors are extremely expensive and vulnerable units. They have no way to rapidly regenerate their energy and move very slowly off creep. Infested terrans are extremely slow and last only a short duration. They also get rape-stomped by certain kinds of units (e.g. collosi).

Exploit those weaknesses. Mass infestors are not a viable strategy in what I would call a "competitve" ladder game. I used to have fun pre-beta 2.0 with mass queen/infestor, but it was just that, for fun.

9. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Can the infestor mind control a drone the same way the Protoss do in the original Starcraft?

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    well since they changed it, it is only mind controled for 12 seconds.

but its a channeled ability so it has to stay within a certain range of the mind controling infester.

11. Mattbaumann777

Can they mind control flying units too?

12. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    They can unless Blizz stealth nerfed them during the break.

13. Mattbaumann777

I sure hope not. Mind control abilities seem better used on capital ships if you're going to use the points. It'll be interesting to see what the Infestors are like in the final product.

14. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    It sure made battlecruisers easier to deal with. Nothing funnier than in a joke game coming across a mass of battlecruisers with a mass of infestors/queens. :D

15. IronyNinja

IronyNinja New Member

I would really like to see infestors be able to neural parasite units while burrowed. This would give the zerg a good cloaked unit, and you would still have the line coming from the infestor to the unit so it would be easy to see where you need to scan/detect at. Furthermore, with NP only lasting 12 seconds now....it needs something.

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I think it would be cool if the infester could do everything from underground, and that would mean they would have a cloaked caster.