current colossus attack- pause problem?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by asdf, Jul 24, 2009.

current colossus attack- pause problem?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by asdf, Jul 24, 2009.

1. asdf

asdf New Member

i'm not sure if i'm breaking rule 9 here, but the other thread IS very old, out of date, and slightly different from what i want to discuss.

so, the current attack has the colossus shoot out a beam, pause, and then draw a line across. blizz says the damage is "instant" and not actually dealt when the sweep is animated. personally, i don't like it. it doesn't go well with one THE core gameplay aspects of starcraft: everything is clear, immediate, and well-defined. you don't see units getting damaged from a seige tank blast half a second or a second after it's shown. EMP doesn't blast away energy of units that used to be standing where the blast hit. lurker dodging would be impossible if it worked like that.

with the colossus, as far as i understand it, the units are "marked" for damage as soon as the laser pops out and pauses... and then the damage is dealt when the "sweep" is animated. in that time frame, the units could have moved, spread out, and other units could have moved into the animation area. new players will be wondering "wtf? why was this guy damaged and this other guy not?" while experience players will just be annoyed by it. it's confusing, unnecessary, and most importantly, isn't Starcraft's style.

i think the laser should just move quickly and hit the units it hits. if they want it to look more "badass" then they can make it 2 lasers which sweep in opposite directions (following the same line).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Why should Lurker dodging be permitted when Colossus dodging is not? We do not know when the units actually take the damage, so it could be as the beam is sweeping, as opposed to before it sweeps, in which cases, as a result of the speed at which it sweeps, no units will be able to dodge it at that stage anyway.

Another thing is that that is simply how the graphics appear. It has nothing to do with the graphics. The Colossus' attack is just the same as if it dealt that spray of beams that it used to, only, because that interfered with the graphics and clustered up the screen, it was changed. The Colossus still damages set units at a set time. That's its attack.

3. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Have you played this game? Answer me and I can vouch for your discontent.
    Although my friend, I doubt you have. I'm thinking blizzard would of fixed this if that really happend.

4. asdf

asdf New Member

i'm just going by what they stated on the battlereports and other comments. blizzard has stated that, even though the units may have moved out of the "sweep" area, they will still take damage. a lot of people were saying the colossus was ridiculously weak and inaccurate after seeing BR1 (it LOOKED like the colossus couldn't hit a single SCV), and blizz was saying "don't worry, the targeted units will still take damage."

5. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    It has already been confirmed that the Collosus attack no longer does all its damage at once, and is indeed dodgable.

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Even if it did deal all its damage at once, it's still dodgeable. There's a delay between when the animation starts and when it actually sweeps, and depending on the time at which the damage was actually dealt, which we didn't know, it could still be relatively easily dodgeable, granted your units were fast enough.

If the Colossus does deal its damage as it sweeps, however, it would have to sweep in the exact same direction each time to remove the 'random' element, which StarCraft tries to desperately to avoid. Given that, I'm wondering if it will be significant enough for different unit set ups, such as a lop-sided formation to prevent the units on whichever side is hit last from taking as much damage.

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I don't believe the attack ever swept "randomly" - it just alternated by side, which is completely predictable.

Recent screenshots seem to indicate that both beams fire at once, now.

8. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    yes both beams sweep at once (or at least attack at the same time)
    i would like to see it in action though.

i saw a vid that had a glance of the old swarm gardian and it moved up and down in the air like a snake on it side. i thought that looked really kool to see it in action. so now i want to see the units in motion to really and truly discuss them (that doesn't mean i won't discuss them though)

and with the beam thing i thought i might have seen a youtube vid that had both of the beams and they moved from target to target (can't remember the vid, i think i remember that but im not sure.)
    if that were the case what do people think about the colossus in that instance?

9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The original beams moved from target to target.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    oh they did?

thx

11. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Basicly, if I understand this correctly, the Colossus misses everytime it attacks a fleeing unit now because the unit automaticly "dodges". I'm all for precision but that frankly sucks. You don't see a reaver missing because the targeted unit moved.

This is an even bigger problem because Colossi are advertised as great worker raiders due to their cliff climbing ability and splash damage. They become worthless in that role with this mechanic of attack because they miss everything as soon as your opponent pulls his workers back. I am confident that Blizzard will notice and fix that, though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  12. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    The fleeing units do not 'automatically' dodges the attack, even though they are fleeing there is a possibility that they are still being damaged by being hit by their laser, have you seen the splash damage it has? it's quite large-ish even if they are like a less than a cm away from the swept beam they still get hurt. But it is actually dodgeble with a quick use of micro.

13. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    It would be like trying to dodge Lurker spines- possible, but very, very hard to do consistently.

14. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    You are standing on a pole. the colosuss's beam hits a spot 3 yards away from you. it pauses. u die.

anyways, i dun like the line-sweeping of the beam. i'd rather it move from target to target, with a small AoE (It's a heat beam after all), and injuring all targets that it hits. thus, it could call for some micro, attaking a unit on one side of the group, then attacking a unit on the other side, as so the beam touches many units. I would al like the beam to be able to choose a new target as it's moving towards one, and change its direction. however, with appropriate micro, this could be imba =[

also, the beam and the "beam projecter" should move very fast, so that units cannot dodge. there should be a researchable upgrade for thiss as well as lurker spines cuz I GET SO FRUSTRATED WHEN MY ENEMY DODGES MY LURKER MICRO!! >=(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    1) cool, the hydra thing is gamma make the hydra a huge couter in the right numbers.

2) I also wish they would use the old animation from the toss demo that you can download from the site. I think they brought it back of I'm not mistaken.

16. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    OH OH OH! I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!

how about no pausing? just an extremely fast movement of the beams even while its materializing. (like it hits the ground running) :D:D:D:D

17. alex1

alex1 New Member

Maybe my info is outdated, but last I heard, the sweeping animation was only an animation. The AoE is immediate and non dodgeable.

18. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    yes but I WANT THE ANIMATION TO GO WITH THE ATTACK DAMMIT

19. alex1

alex1 New Member

yeah sure... it would be nicer if they could change the sweeping animation :p

20. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    You guys should watch the Protoss demo (of the like first build ever!)
    The colossus was awesome the zealots were there to keep the lings back much like the Terran do with scvs and seige tanks, and so the colosus just went from unit to unit murdering everything.

Just think since it had seige range out could shove them in the back and have zealots and stalkers up front.
    That would be a killer Zerg ground and infantry killer combo!!!!!!!