Crucio Siege Tank - as good as its predecessor?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Thalion, Jan 8, 2008.

?

Do you think the Arclite Siege Tank or Crucio Siege Tank is a better overall tank?

1. Arclite

50.0%
  2. Crucio

50.0%

Crucio Siege Tank - as good as its predecessor?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Thalion, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Well, Siege Tank is finally confirmed.

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/siegetank.xml

Crucio (new codename) is rumoured to be much stronger in assault mode (comparing to old, SC 1 Tank) while siege mode stays just as good as it was (but it can one shot one kill marine now). HP/Armor has been upgraded, sight slightly decreased (needs some recon first) and its probably more expensive now.

Well, toy looks more stable now (yeah... its turret has so great power :p) and transformation is better than that in SC1. New set of sounds also nrings more life to it ;)

How do you like balance changes and its new look? Should this be a final version of your most beloved tank? Is there anything that could be improved?

Write your opinions!

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    We coulda figured most of those things out before. For instance, we have seen a bunch of Siege Tanks destroy 2 Terran buildings in assault mode, yet it happened fast, and they had a good firerate. In another vid one Siege Tank in assault mode gave great support to a bunch of Marines facing Zealots and DT's, so we knew that they were getting more powerful in assault mode.
    And 40 (Marine hp) - 50 (ST Siege mode damage) = dead.

3. Light

Light Guest

Which is the video in which I can see the normal attack, because I dont remember it.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  5. Light

Light Guest

Wow thanks, I dont remember these :p

Well on the first one, its great they added explosions to the normal attack, nice and realistic. But in the second one, the firerate of that tank is insane! Im pretty sure thats not the way it is now :eek:

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The firerate in assault mode is insane I know, it will now be better in A mode.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

i really like it

8. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Me too ^_^

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like the fact that tanks aren't useless when mobile now.

I migt use them for more than just firebases now that they can actually kill something from clse range and with therange increase in siege mode it might actually be good artillery without having to leapfrog as much when pushing forward.

Thank god for immortals (im a protoss player)

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think the assualt mode siege tank will still be useless in sc2.

i think the solution is to make it usefull(assault) is that it can attack while moving just like the cobra was, so you can manuever and micro them to safety while attacking back. i think this is the only way we can see the tanks in assault mode MORE in action.

anyway the siege tank looks great. IMO, the best terran(design and model) unit in order

thor
    bc
    siege tank
    viking
    marine
    ghost
    banshee/reaper/scv/medic
    nomad =p

11. LxMike

LxMike New Member

nice, I still don't like the X forme of the deployed sieged tank, the assault cannon upgrade seen interesting
    and OMG look at that concept art, now I really need to take graphic design lesson

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I like that the tank does more damage in mobile mode now. Less stop and go with the tanks down to the enemy base. It's rate of fire is good in both regular and siege mode.

Now I can see how the Immortals will really play a part in TvP matches.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But one way to make Siege Tanks 3 times more useful when the enemy counters with Immortals is to transform them back into assault mode. The high firerate will make them less useless against the hardened shield. Also, It's high hp (along with the firerate of course) will make it a descent support unit when in assault mode.

14. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah the immortals is a very good counter against seige tanks. Seige tanks are best against zerg since the zerg are in the numbers and their units are weak, use the seige tank(s) against zerg for the splash damage and strong damage so Youll be sure alot of them will die! :D

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It seems to me, that with the new skewing towards enemy avoidance, maneuverability, and the pretty much total, systematic destruction of the Terran turtle, they're useless against all but masses in Siege Mode.

However, seeming from the Crucio demo vid, they're PERFECT for ambushes. Place them in random bottle necks, so if not to outright stop your enemy, at least blow a large part of his army to shreds. Now if they would just add that damn 'Hold Fire' button....

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes

"Don't fire till you see the reds of their eyes"

17. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Or green. Or orangish. Or blue.

Anyway.

I am liking the new assault mode immensely. I didn't touch on it in my last post, so I will now.

The Arclites always seemed woefully underpowered while cruising around. Granted, they were the bane of any ground assault while sieged, but beyond a turtle strategy, they were generally useless. I mean, obviously, you could make an argument that they were useful on the attack, given the right situation, but face it. The assault mode Arclite was the Terran Ultralisk.

This new mode is quite lovable. It truly is a tank now. Tanks are not meant to go poompf and have the person it hit keep walking. It either goes FWOOMPF and kills seven people, or it goes boomboomboom and guns enemies down with ease. The Crucio has realized that.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That's very descriptive. Made my day...morning

Yes the Arclite should have been called Mobile artillery instead of tank. THis thing is actually a tank

19. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Think in the campaign you'll get to fight some arclite siege tanks used by armies of outdated weapons?

20. ekulio

ekulio New Member

They already can do this. In the original Starcraft Siege Tanks were the only unit that could move and shoot at the same time.

But yeah, definately glad for the added HP and assault power. I always thought the tanks were awfully flimsy considering they're tanks. And the added expense is good, it was to easy to get an invincible wall of artillary before.