Critique on my custom model skin *WIP*

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by Biske, Sep 4, 2010.

Critique on my custom model skin *WIP*

1. Biske

Biske New Member

I started this skin a few months back, forgot about it, and found it again. I've yet to build the model for it (I've got his chest plate done but no mapping yet).

I'm pretty new to making texture but have been doing 3d modeling for quite some time. I just wanted to get a few more peoples input before even finishing the texture to see if the highlighting and shadowing look fine. Also, I was wondering what resolution SC2 textures are usually in. I made this at 1024x1024, but I'll be fine with having to lower the resolution.

[​IMG]

The custom unit's name will be the Marine Haunter. He'll be more like a firebat/reaper combo when finished. I plan on his movement being like the Reaper while he'll attack like a Firebat, giving a more... well, overall unique use.

Note: The wires on the stomach area will be moved to another area entirely of the overall texture. There are other pieces under it which will be used elsewhere on the model.

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I like the concept and the skin. I do not know the resolution though, sorry.

3. Biske

Biske New Member

Preferably he'll be more of a hero because when I finish him and start learning the editor, I'll be making a bit of a little brawl game to test him and the map making skills. He's obviously going to end up colored, but I've been debating the colors. I'm not sure if I want him black and red or black and gray, or any other color for that matter.

4. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    This is a little off-topic, but are you interested in doing some modeling for a project? You would the the third member of our team. I am doing data editing, he is triggering/terraining, you would be creating models. More specifically, the map is based off of Supreme Commander. We are looking for mostly submarine/ship models. Are you interested?

5. Biske

Biske New Member

Ships as in boats? It depends on the detail level you'd want. When I 3d model, I do it 1 of 3 ways I know how to. Either in nurbs then converting to what SC2 uses, point by point to nurbs to what SC2 uses, or point by point in mesh. It'd take a good bit of time for me to do, but if you have concept art and blueprints of the ships and submarines, I'm sure I could do it pretty easily.

6. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    O.O blueprints? I do not all the details of what he wants, and he just went to bed, but I know for sure he mentioned naval units. We are only working with the cybran race from Supreme Commander. Do you have msn?

7. Biske

Biske New Member

I messaged it to you

8. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I like it better grayscale.

9. Biske

Biske New Member

Gray scale doesn't fit in with the theme of starcraft, though. Though it is gritty, starcraft has a good mix of color and grit.

10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Ya the scheme you showed me looked good. :D