Cost of Units

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Lightchess, Jul 22, 2009.

Cost of Units

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Lightchess, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Lightchess

Lightchess New Member

The Seige tank cost more then a factory!!!???

Factory: 200min 100gas
    Tank: 200min 150gas

Are they crazy?

The Ghost cost as much as 6 marines or 3 hellions or 1 raven and almost 3 marauders!??!

Ghost: 150min + 150gas = 300
    Marines: 50min (x6) = 300
    Hellion: 100min (x3) =300
    Raven: 100min + 200gas = 300
    Marauder: 100min 25gas (x3) = 375

And on top of that the ghost needs a lot of upgrades (about 4)

2 ghosts cost more then a Thor or a Collosses or a Untralisk

Thor,collosses,Ultralisk: 300min 200gas = 500
    2 ghosts: 300min 300gas = 600

Thats almost as much as a mothership!!!!

An Armory cost as mush as a Starport.

Armory: 150min 100gas
    Starport:150min 100gas

Weird.

Only Terran has these weird costs, zerg in incredibly cheap almost every unit is under 150 resources, and protoss cost almost as much as Terran.

The biggest factor that i have is the cost of the tank being higher then a factory. Every time you build a tank you could of just made a factory for a cheaper cost. And the tank doesn't really have any buffs, it has the same hit points as in the original starcraft.

Sources: http://www.sc2armory.com/game/terran/units

The only thing i finned comical is that a tank 1 shots a roach in seige mode, Tank damage = 100 vs armored, Roach = 100 hit points.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    No buffs? Increased attack rate and damage, plus +50 hp(used to be like that IIRC) is nothing? Please watch all the battle reports before jumping to conclusions. And you comparing ghosts to other units... you don't know how well ghosts can be used, and you don't know how useless motherships and ultras can become, so please, wait for the beta where we get real insight into how units can be used.

I don't even understand your reason for calling the armory-starship costs weird. Where does it say they can't cost an equal amount of resources?

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    ...So that's what you do, right? Until you don't have the resources to queue up all the Factories with units, that is.

And Tanks are buffed, they have longer range now.

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Cough, beta cough.
    We must have patience.
    Also, too the only thing that mattered in your post. The tank is higher tier, and is considered a great unit. Its not a gigantic massing unit like in the original. Blizzard has the power to change things like that -.- now gg.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. VeljkoM

VeljkoM New Member

Serbia,KG
    Maybe blizzard doesn't want us to mass produce them? They are kinda overpowered when are in big groups with anti air support.

6. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Especially there range, I think its the kinda units there adding that they dont want a ton of siege tanks?

7. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    Dustin has stated that even though they have nerfed the seige tank repeatedly over the last few months they still feel it is OP as the new pathing system in place clumps together your units (As seen in any battlereport) and therefore long range AOE attacks are alot more powerful in SC2.

I don't know enough about the SC2 ghost to really comment but i assume its to stop massing them mid game.

8. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Probably, I'm guessing they want the snipe to be mid game, with the nukes later.

9. asdf

asdf New Member

yeah, the ghost costs a lot, yeah it'll be balanced eventually, but still... i would think that the original SC could be used as a guideline, at least.

they used to be 25m, 75g. now it's 150m, 50g. quite a change. still, it's stronger, and is now actually capable of killing this by itself.

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

"i would think that the original SC could be used as a guideline, at least."

Hell no. The new ghost has a fairly different role. They seemed to be used just for Lockdown spam in StarCraft I. Why should they continue copying a failure?

11. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    true the only reason to make ghosts was to lock down BC fleets and an acosional nuke landing.

now its more of an ofensive unit. a small group of ghost could eat Ultras alive! think they can have like 12(whitch isn't that much anymore) sniping Ultras with impunity until theres detection. plus they can snipe most spell casters in a shot ur 2 so they clump up ghosts in twos and snipe the spell casters.

the Ghost is well improved.

also the Tank is even more fearsome then it was in SC1 because of clumping with the new pathing crap.
    plus they fire faster so if you're zerg and they have a bunch of tanks you're screwed.

so they cost is what u get in other words.

12. asdf

asdf New Member

actually snipe is pretty weak now... only 20 damage to most units, and 100 to "psionic" which are very few. at least they get EMP to take out the spellcasters.

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    That would mean that the Terran acually "snipe" spell casters now especialy the toss.

But still other then snipe I think there worth their cost.

14. asdf

asdf New Member

yeah, but they can't really snipe anything else. you'd think a highly trained sniper would actually be able to kill, say, an SCV with a single bullet.

the ghosts really seem to be just an anti-spellcaster caster. snipe really only takes out the high templar or other ghosts. all the other possible targets can survive a snipe shot- queen, infestor, dark templars, etc. and there's lots of non-biological spellcasters- raven, mothership, etc.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    True it's definently not going to be a tech to snipe and make a ghost army to snipe anything that move toward the base. That to sure. By they do have EMP so you will have a few with say a group of M&Ms to snipe spell casters of the toss and or at least drain the energy away.

16. VeljkoM

VeljkoM New Member

Serbia,KG
    I can only think of swarming them with great number of hard units. With their new sniper I not sure how many zergs does it take to kill one?

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    what do u mean. with the new snipe a hand full of lings could easily wipe a ghost of the map.

unless ur saying a whole group of them then u could just bring in a bunch of ultras and they wouldn;t stand a chance. mostly because Ultras come easily at the same time.

18. AppleMarineXX

AppleMarineXX New Member

California
    OH WOW THE SIEGE TANK IS THAT EXPENSIVE???????Uh even though ghosts are beefed up, there a little to expensive.these units are quite too expensive

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    The siege tank is ganna be hellla more expensive.
    Reason: Because there's new pathing that makes units bunch up so ground units will be murdered by tanks even more so. And because if increased cost there will be fewer tanks so you can mass tanks as easily as SC1 and own everything.

20. VeljkoM

VeljkoM New Member

Serbia,KG
    They were hard to counter in Starcraft without air. If now they are stronger (and stupid looking) they need to be limited. But it isn't that strange in RTS to have units that cost more then buildings.