[concept] Time Trap

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Aurora, Apr 27, 2009.

?

What do you think?

1. Good concept.

83.3%
  2. Good concept, but needs changes / different unit.

16.7%
  3. Meh, more something I would like to see in campaign/UMS maps.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bad concept.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

[concept] Time Trap

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Aurora, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I had an idea a while back, but I just can't seem to forget about it, even though it sounds pretty lame at times. I post this now because I would like to hear what you guys think about it.

The story behind all this:
    The Protoss were severely crippled after the many battles between their different tribes, the fights with the Zerg and the unforseen resistance of the Terran colonies. After the fall of Aiur, it was decided that their most powerfull weapons should be punt into service once more. However, even after retrieving the Colossi and recalling the Motherships from the outer reaches of space, they still felt like they lacked something important.

After inventing the Hardened Shields for the newly created Immortals, and the increased shield recharge rate, they realized that if they were to survive this, their main goal had to be to take as little damage as possoble.

The concept:
    My idea is to re-introduce the concept of slowing time into the game. I was really disappointed to see the original Time Bomb getting axed, so I thought of something new.

The concept is simple: take a mine, and add a time distortion effect to it, instead of an explosion.
    This ebility would be given to the Nullifier, as it is the main Protoss caster unit, and this is a tech-based ability, not a psionic one. The Nullifier can create this at a mineral/gas/energy cost and lay it down anywhere on the map. Once an enemy ground unit (hovering units excluded) come close to the Trap, it goes of and slows everything inside it.

Tactics:
    For example: lay a Trap in a chocke point, and walk up the cliffs with a Colossus and Blink a few Stalers up there. Once an enemy unit activates the trap, you move in your units and make the kill. Fairly simple.

As for balance, the ability requires a Nullifier and excellent timing. This Trap goes of no matter what, and if there are no units of you nearby, then the Trap effects wear of, and the enemy can just go on as if nothing ever happended.

So, what do you think?
    I have left out things such as time, cost and any damage out of the concept, since I would like to hear this from you guys. And minor +1 time -3 energy are better to be left to Blizzard anyways. I'm more interested in general game mechanics and tactics. But if you want to discuss it anyway: I won't stop you.. ;)

2. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    I think it's a clever idea. But maybe it could be more like a spider mine. You only get 3 per unit. But then again, reaver and carriers have to buy their stuff. So maybe one could cost like 50 minerals. It is basically an instant kill however, especially when teamed up with blink stalkers...

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Well, Spider Mines were also pretty much an instant kill in lots of cases. It all depends on good placement of the Trap.

And don't forget that your own weapons are also affected. Only the Colossus and Mothership weapons still work on units inside the bubble. So most of your units aren't usefull, making instant kills a lot harder to archieve.

I just felt that some sort of trap would be cool for the Protoss. They have to be way more carefull with their troops in Starcraft 2. -they lost Aiur, and the enemy has much stronger late game units, which used to be their strong point.-

4. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Yup, If terrans no longer have mines, this would be a great replacement. This will also make nullifiers more useful and more "likely" to be used in battle.

If Nighthawks still have mines, this might be considered redundant by the Blizz Team...

So it depends I guess, but its a nice concept, and anything that would grant nullifiers more usefulness is welcome :D

5. Ych

Ych New Member

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Rofl, the Mine Drone was axed quite a while ago. Believe me, I followed that thing like a hungry cat chases mice.

And yeah, that was more or less the plan: make it more usefull outside combat situations. Just to make it more of an all-round caster.

Edit: you kinda posted while I typed Ych, great to see that. Never knew it was still in the build!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    if there is a Blizzard team member lurking in this forum he should read this thread :D

EDIT: this Time Bomb ability looks like the SC1 Queen's Ensnare ability, but more powerful.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Erm, it has little to do with Ensnare, nor was it inspired by that ability. This is a passive mine, not a castable attack ability. :s
    Although the effects might be a bit alike, then you could also say that all melee and all ranged units are the same. XD

@ Ych
    After reading that thread a bit better, I think Cydra was actually trolling, or not. Meh, I hate that forum with those fake posts. Never post there for just that reason.

9. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Ensnare is the Queen's ability from SC1 to slow down units affected by the spell... in the same way, Time Bomb also slows down units... well as far as the posted link is concerned :D
    oh, I was speaking about the Time Bomb from Ych :s erm confusion?

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The Ensnare just slows units down. Time Bomb also makes other units unable to assist them, and unable to attack them in most cases.

And they are called abilities, not spells... :p

11. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    LOL okok you got me... but still there is some resemblance with the "slow down effect" :p