Computer won't detect video card..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Spartan, Dec 24, 2007.

Computer won't detect video card..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Spartan, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Okay.. so here I was browsing the internet, listening to music, and pounding on my desk. Then suddenly my monitor turns all green. I assumed the computer was frozen since nothing was responding. I then turned off my computer, but when I went to turn it on gives me a blank screen and my monitor tells me it can't find any signal from my video card. So I switch from my DVI-I cables to VGA and use my onboard video card. The problem is my computer isn't even detecting my PCIe video card (8600 gts from MSI) anymore. Inside the computer the fan is running on the card. I don't think its a PSU problem because it has been running fine for almost 5-6 months now, and I have a 500W PSU. I haven't changed any part of my computer. Also, when I have the DVI-I plugged in and have the blank screen, I can still hear the chime that Vista makes when it goes to the login screen, so the computer is still loading, but just won't detect my video card. Anyone know whats wrong?

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm pretty sure your video card is fried.

The green lines are a good indicator, as is the refusal to load any image.

If the card is only 5-6 months old, it should still be under some type of manufacturer's warranty, especially if it's ATI or Nvidia.

Given what you've told me here, this is my best guess. :D

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    When you boot up your computer does it showthe POST (a bunch of text that tells processor speed memory and drives)? or is it black?

Also if it is busted and you were overclocking your warranty is void in most cases

4. Spartan

Spartan New Member

@eagle: It wasn't a green line, like the monitor flashed orange, I pounded on the desk lightly and it flashed brown, one more time and it turned green permanently.

@prey: If I leave the monitor plugged into the external card (not onboard) I get no screen just all black, but I can hear all the sounds Vista makes when it gets to the login screen. I didn't do any overclocking in this card because I got a shitty mobo.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    External card? Explain please.

So you never see anything not even a smidgeon of text when you first turn the PC on right?
    If you have any other monitors lying around try plugging one of those in. If it is still blank it is you card if something shows up then the monitor is broke

6. Spartan

Spartan New Member

By external I meant PCIe and not an onboard video card that comes with the mobo. If I do plug in my monitor to the onboard video card then everything works fine, which is how I am posting here. The problem is my computer is no longer detecting my PCIe video card.

7. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Wow, this happens to me all the time.

Tbh, old computers are way more reliable then the new ones with flat screens...

My New computer has had around 10 problems and over 1,500$ worth of fixes. ( I think. )

My old computer on the otherhand has been fine for nearly 10 years, we did re-format it twice though. Like every 4 years we do.

The new ones like 2 - 4 years old. Its graphic cards a REAL ANNOYANCE.

Don't trust Dell.

I cannot run Warcraft III, nor RuneScape ( My Sister likes to play. )

8. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Bah, I got it to work.. somehow. Thanks guys!

9. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    on a similar topic

can you have two video cards? if yes, does it have any effect on the speed, my NFSU2 is laggy :(

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Your what? I don't know what a NFSU2 is

If your computer has a built in GPU then that will be disabled if you plug in an actual card.

You can have multiple cards if your computer has multiple slots for them but if you want to have them both drive the same monitor you need the right hardware. You need to get either 2 Nvidia cards of the same model, an SLI cable and a motherboard that supports SLI or you can get 2 ATI cards of the same model a Crossfire cable and a motherboard that supports Crossfire. Ifyou have two different cards or a motherboard that does not support a dual card setup it won't work. Also from what I have read it gives less than twice the performance of just one card despite costing more than wice as much.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    NFSU2 = Need For Speed Underground 2.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Never played it. Would help If I knew what video card setup was being use and what you were doing when it started lagging

13. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    umm... can you pls tell me where to find the graphix card info is? so i would know what my graphix card is
    also, when im looking for graphics card to buy and i ask them, they always ask me what kind of port im using, but i dont know :( , im using a nividia motherboard, so do i have to bust my CPU open to see what kind of graphix card im using????

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Best way to get it done is to know your stuff... but if you want to limp your way along....

Go to "My Computer" and right click it. Hit properties. A system properties menu will come up. It will have the basic system specs on it. Copy/paste that to a post here.

Then go into your "Device Manager" tab in that menu. Scroll down to "Video Adapters" and expand that menu. The model of your video card should appear there. :D

Good luck.

15. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    okay, just logged in
    heres my specs

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    As far as I know the nForce models are all chipsets, not really video cards...

What are you trying to accomplish here? You want to install a new video card?

If you have a Desktop computer you just need to get one that fits in the PCI slot of your model, which is pretty standard. You can go all the way up to the GeForce 8800 and pimp yourself out, or just about any other video card...

Let me know what you're wanting to do...

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    i just want to avoid lagging when i run games that has 3d graphix or something like that
    Counter-strike is fine, C&C generals gets laggy as well as need for speed U2, and loading takes too long,
    like when loading wc3 maps or when loading NFSU2

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Ok you are commenting on lag and maybe Im missing something but couldnt the problem be you only have 192 MB of Ram Im truly amazed generals ran at all like that. Again I may have missed something but your Ram and Processor seems like a potential source for your lag.

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That has to be wrong. I didn't even know Athlon 64 motherboards could run with that little memory

20. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    what? the 192 mb ram???? i dont know either, and my pc is like only 8-12 monts old... (i think)