Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Rex, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Rex, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Rex

Rex New Member

I have a problem with my computer and I need help. I need to reset my whole computer to the way it was how I just got it. Like wiping out the whole system and making it the same as I recieved it, meaning nothing onit except for the stuff it came for.

Does anyone know how to do that, i have a Windows Vista Home Prenium (Or how ever you spell it).

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Do you want to keep your OS and BIOS settings and just get rid of the files or do you want to completely reset it - i.e. no OS, factory BIOS settings, etc?

3. Rex

Rex New Member

I wanna reset it so its like brand new as in how I got it, and I have to lik regester, and install, etc.

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    u mean re-formatting your computer?

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    You can reinstall the OS and it'll delete everything in your C drive. There's also programs that erase everything on your hard drive, you can use those. Also if you're resetting the BIOS as well you should open up your computer and take out the battery for your CMOS and put it back in so it resets itself.

6. Rex

Rex New Member

No I wanna know how to get to a program where youconfirm that you want your system like tottaly wiped out meaning everything is back to how you FIRST bought your computer.

7. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

ah... first of all, do you have a D) partition harddrive?

[img width=500 height=373]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6262/backuppartitionwo8.png[/img]
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6262/backuppartitionwo8.png

if so... then when you start up your computer and right before even the windows vista loading screen displays... there should be a recovery option somewhere before the windows vista loading screen, it will tell you to press a button like.. F## for the recovery menu... or something like that. After using the recovery (or the destructive recovery option in HP computers), your computer will be back to the same way it was when you bought it.

The D) partition is usually named something else than what I have, I partitioned my harddrive on purpose for having backups, similar to what venders do to their prebuilt computers. if you dont have another hard drive partition other than C), then you need a windows vista cd to reformat then...

If you can, can you make a screen shot of your My Computer screen so we can see the drives and optical drives you have? like what I have in my screenshot

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Methinks Rex gota virus downloading some pr0n.

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    STDs! Lol.

10. Rex

Rex New Member

I just need to do this becuz I messed up my sidebar, background, and other things and its gonna take too long to fix so I'll just do this

Thats going a bit far fenix. I should give you a PD for that too.

Edit:How do you take a screen shot?? it was alt something.

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Prnt Scrn

12. Rex

Rex New Member

13. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

ok good i see one, that D) Drive is a separate partition of your harddrive that stores your os data. Never delete that out of your hard drive even when you reformat with a cd.

Here are the steps:
    _________
    Windows Vista: Dell Factory Image Restore

Using Factory Image Restore:

1. Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.

2. Select Repair Your Computer.

The System Recovery Options window appears.

3. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

4. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

5. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.

The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.

6. Click Next.

The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
    NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.

7. Click the checkbox to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.

The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

8. Click Finish to reboot the system.
    ________
    source(in the system recovery os section):
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps720/en/OM_EN/trouble.htm#wp1086075

14. Rex

Rex New Member

dood Thanks but guess what, I found out my self :D I need 2 give you a PU!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.