Command Center as Transportation

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Imagine., Jul 21, 2007.

Command Center as Transportation

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Imagine., Jul 21, 2007.

1. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

As you all may have read in the translated scans postings, the Command Center is now capable of transporting up to five SCVs when it lifts off. This should make for some interesting game play as Terran players no longer need to build a dropship on island maps to expand and it also makes running with your command centers a much better option.

On another note, I noticed this long before this transportation ability was leaked in the StarCraft 2 Game play trailer, but I thought it was a trigger that set it off. Check out the video by clicking http://youtube.com/watch?v=pr78ZawF3Xc. Watch it until 1:20 and you will see four SCVs magically appear. But to be honest, I never thought the Command Center would be able to transport anything. But now that we have visual and textual confirmations (sort of), why is it that the Command Center can only transport SCVs? I think it would be neat to bring along a few Marines or Reapers, for some mobile defense because they are practically the same size as the SCV.

Comments?

2. IO

IO New Member

Hmmmmm this gives me some ideas. Anyway i don't think that would be very fair as (assuming the fortress thingy can lift off and can still carry units) one could assume that a player with a powerful enought economy could simpy mass fortresses filled with marines and land them in the middle (or near) the enemy base with the cannons on the Fortress firing as if they were siege tanks while the marines provide backup.

3. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Planetary Fortress upgrade! Haha! Shame on me. But with a strong economy I do not see any reason why anyone would waste it building on command centers with upgrades when they can build twice as many siege tanks and marines, unless of course it is a humiliating thing for the player getting defeated.

It is called a Command Center and I think it should be capable of carrying battle ready troops that deal more than five damage. But I guess we should take into account your scenario as it does seem pretty imbalanced.

4. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

In fact it puts terran in a great position, does the scv's build while the CC is floating? That would be great to have because it saves time while flying to an island or something of that sort. Also with the new addition of the planetary defense, and if it can protect vs air, when it lands it will have an advantage of easy FE as well as a sturdy defense.

5. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i doubt it will build while in flight lol, the command center will probably only be able to hold SCV, it makes sense if you are playing an island map, when you float over your command center you wont have to spend 4 mins building SCVs

6. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Lmao, if the SCVs could build while flying in the Command Center... I honestly don't know what I would do. This is just going to be a safe way to escape with some extra resources when your expansion gets attacked and probably be pretty useful in island maps.

7. Ych

Ych New Member

Haha, I seriously doubt that you could built SCVs while it is in the air. Back in the BW days, none of the units would be built in the air. So I'm assuming this concept would still apply to SC2. But then of course, this is SC2 not SC1. So who knows what it might turn out in the end.

8. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Maybe we would be able to queue them in the air so when the Command Center drops, the building process begins immediately. Remember the Goliath/Tank glitch? When you lift-off and queue the build? Yeah.

It will be very useful in island maps especially if they revamp The Lost Temple map and make it 3D, can anyone say mad Terran turtling?

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

yes I noticed it in the demo too but I figured it was a scripted event. I think it can only transport scv's for balance reasons and to make re-establishing a base easier.

It's called a command center, but really it's main function is a resource drop off. And while you could spend the money on more units, it will be good for protecting the heart of your base in case the enemy slips in or breaks through.

On a side note I wonder if the planetary fortress will be able to lift off or will the upgraded armor/weapons weight it down?

10. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

I think its only 4 Scvs.

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Still, i remember in my very first games in SC original, we played a lot on a map called Challenger, and this zerg friend of mine always rushed me with zerglings and i would lift off and rebuild on the island nearby...so that makes me wonder, early on just lift off with the 4 scvs and start building your base on the islands :p

12. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    hmmm but then it prolly took a long time for it to actually float to the island and then you prolly needed to build up your ecomony and units and by the time you are done with the first tier, your opponent would prolly be in the 2nd tier pumpng out air units and transports that will pummel you island base.

haha ^_^

13. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Maybe the speed of the building in flight can be upgraded? The buildings did look pretty fast in the trailer (in comparison to the "old" speed).

14. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    That would def be interesting to gameplay. I still think though that a dropship full of scv's would be more efficient for creating an expo than a flying CC.

15. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

Early game though it would be pretty useful.

If you went quick expo you could have a CC before Drop ships...not to mention all the gas saved.

16. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

Ey.. Think those Scvs follows whit the CommandCenter? Like if you build a CC 5 Scvs comes out?