Coming soon: article about writing articles.

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by BirdofPrey, Feb 2, 2008.

Coming soon: article about writing articles.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Before I start writing I would like to ask anyone who has any experience in writing Internet publications (professional or not) if you would please leave any tips you have about any aspect of writing and formatting so I can include it in the article(s)

Also to the mods (probably Jon) is separating it into multiple articles for different aspects of  writing (formatting, choosing a topic, finding and formatting images etc.) OK or should I post one mass item covering everything in one place

Also so far I am planning on having a section for

--Choosing a subject then researching and writing about it
    --formatting including the proper separation into paragraphs as well as text styles and colors
    --making your own banner  and uploading it to a hosting site
    --image formatting, including resizing and embeding mid text
    --HTML to do editing of the underlying code of the articles and do advanced things that the WYSIWYG editor can't do

Please tell me if I missed anything

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    You should try to be as neutral as possible for one thing. Unnecessary bias is really confusing and misleading to people who don't know better and really annoying to those who do. Also try to keep the articles accessible. Don't use too technical terms, or if you do, then at least give a definition or an explanation. I don't know if our articles support pictures either but they really help as well. General stuff like that.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Note to self: mention the use of examples from the game.

@Wlck the articles do support pictures.
    @everyone: The articles use HTML formatting (no CSS) so tips for that are good too

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't really now much about HTML, but I suggest making things in your arcticle as simple as you can. The simplicity makes it easier to read, and it just looks good. As you said, text colour and style is important.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    And pay attention to punctuation and spelling because you tend to leave out letters in your posts and ask questions without any question marks :D

This guide is a good idea, it might encourage more people to contribute to the articles section. I'd like to pluck up the courage to tackle a topic or two but I really don't want to produce something that sounds ridiculous to a native speaker. There are plenty of Americans around here so it shouldn't be a problem to find good candidates for the job.

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Americans speak worse English than some non-native speakers imo. No offense.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    When I write an article I try to make sure everything is spelled and punctuated right like an, English paper.
    Americans speake English just fine. Its writing that people seem to have trouble with because uour school system sucks and parents don't instill a sense or achievement in their kids and thus turn out loads of idiot deadbeats

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    BoP,

Go ahead and submit two articles if you'd like. Write one on research and writing and another on formatting.

Just put anchors in your HTML to link to within your own article so you can have a table of contents. :D Sounds good.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Will do. I was already planning on having a table of contents.

One question though that I have is how to link between the introduction and the main body of the article