Colossus & Warp Ray Damage

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ayzee, Feb 10, 2008.

Colossus & Warp Ray Damage

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ayzee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    OK, so here's something that has crossed my mind since the Colossus and the Warp Ray showed up.
    How will their damage be affected by armor, considering how they have dps now?

Let's say that a Siege Tank has 2 armor, will the Colossus deal 144 minus 2 = 142 dmg or will the armor reduce dps - meaning 24dps minus 2 dps = 22 dps ---> 132 dmg? What do you think?

Of course, I know that the actual damage type isn't described "dps" per se, but you get my drift.
    This is a big deal since it will affect two of toss' main damage dealing units. Any ideas? Something I've missed?

Also, in the latest batch it is stated that the Colossus has a linear splash, meaning it will damage everything in between the Colossus and its target. Thoughts on this? I think it would be better with a regular splash since it would look ridiculous having the rays kill zerglings when they pass 20 feet over the zergling.

PS. Will someone remind me if Zealots in SC1 lost 1 dp(damage point) if an enemy had 1 armor or 2 since the Zealots actually dealt their 16 dp in two strikes?

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Zealots attack got reduced twice, so to say.

3. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Ok tnx! that never occurred to me, strangely enough. I never cared to count the reduction =)

ADDITION: The most important aspect of the Colossus' dmg is how it will be countered by Medics. If the damage is dealt in "chunks" of say - 10 dmg - then the Colossus would have no problem killing Marines being healed. But if the damage is subtracted 1dmg point at a time, then the Colossus' rays would be easily countered by one or more Medics.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'd assume it deals damage every 1.5 or 2 seconds and the 144 is the total damage the colossus does in each firing of the lasers. I doubt it's a continuous attack as it'll be quite useless against M&Ms, and Blizzard said the Colossus was a good counter against M&Ms in their Q&A.

5. l2k

l2k New Member

Lets don't forget the AOE effect of Colossus's thermal lances...

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    There is no initial AoE its just the way it attacks, and when it reaches that point were its beam is strongest it will cut through all the units hp before cooling down.

7. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

WHAT?! The zealots are weaker?!

8. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Zergalicious, I really did not get that. Care to elaborate?

jrc3234, if you read the last part of my original post, you'll understand.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

The zealot basically did 2x8 damage and not really 16. Thats why the upgrade of armor for zerglings and the attack for zealots were very important in PvZ games.

As for the Colossus damage i have no idea.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    That Colossus beam does not have an actual Area of Effect similar splash, Blizzard has said that as it resembles AoE damage wise.
    Its beam starts from 0 damage and builds up to 144 (or whatever it is) then lasts for a short period of time at that 144 damage, around 5-6 seconds I think.
    So, when the beam is fully charged, unlike the Warp Ray which has to start over again, the Colossus has that 6 second period where it's beam maintains that 144 damage thus cutting through a lot of a units.
    As far as I'm concerned thats how it works. Refer to the Favourite units topic for our speculations on the Colossus damage system.
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=47&topic=900.225

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Here is a quote from talking about how I think the system as well as answering a question as to whether or not Immortals would be a good counter.

My personal opinion is that Colossi and Warp Rays will do damage every .5 or 1 seconds depending on how big Blizzard wants the hits to be, with bigger hits being more effective angainst armor and weaker hits being more efficient for killing units. So I would guess Colossi will do damage every .5 seconds and Warp Rays will do damage every second.

12. Gforce

Gforce New Member

I believe the Colossi's damage is like the Warp rays only having a smaller charge up time, but how much damage it is dealing would probably be factored by which unit its attacking.

13. WuHT

WuHT New Member

hmmm i was under the impression that the attack was like a quick burst ...ie 144 hits of 1 damage, that would automatically acquire a new target when the previous target died (and the 144 hit counter has not been reached yet). Obviously this would be ridciously useless against armor, so perhaps the 144 is dealt in 12 instances (12 damage each ??). 6 damage dealt in 24 instances seem to be like the old carrier , which was weak against heavily armored unit ..but definately should be fine agaisnst MM.

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, now it's solved. They no longer have a continuous attack, but fire in bursts like any other unit.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Minus points for uniqueness then.

16. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Yeah that reeks =\

Honestly, I don't mind if Blizzard sees it as a necessity and has to change the attack but not to THIS. I'm going to quote myself from another thread..

"I'm guessing that the main reason for the change of attack was that the Protoss were to effective vs Roach as a single beam from a colossus would probably kill off a roach. Not to mention the warp rays which are the epitome of focusing fire.

Still, I don't think that is a valid excuse for changing the attack. I'm sure siege tanks are just as effective vs roaches as colossi are."

17. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

All I can say after seeing how fast the warp ray becomes more powerful is "watch out BC and enemy MS watch out we power up quick."

18. Gforce

Gforce New Member

yeah, but then they throw in marines or hydras and say good bye to the rays.

19. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

The collosus and warp ray have complety different attacks
    Collosus = 5 rays spread shot now
    while the warp ray is a steadily increasisng power weapon that is perfect for armore
    Warpray= damage + time + damage + time + damage = death

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes, but this is about the OLD ATTACK.