Colossus Bonus Damage

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Renaughn, Jun 24, 2009.

Colossus Bonus Damage

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Renaughn, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Renaughn

Renaughn New Member

I saw the Sc2pod description of the colossus and it rocks! However, when I read the bonus damage bit I felt that it was too race-specific. Don't get me wrong, I feel that it doing bonus damage to plasma shields is dead on the lore that it was used initially against the protoss too, but in terms of competition it limits where the colossus can be used to deal bonus damage to. Why cant the bonus damage be to armored units as well (like the siege tank)

Just an opinion. :D

2. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    They seem too keep the non rock paper scissorcs combat from sc2. Although they add things they would give it an edge, but not dominance.

3. Renaughn

Renaughn New Member

Im not sure I got what you meant with your reply, but I don't think making the colossus bonus damage to armor won't give it dominanace. If I'm not mistaken dominance implies that nothing can counter it, or it is effective vs everything, but the colossus is still weak against air units.

wait, cross "still weak against air units"- defenseless against air units (a nice balance given its good attackvground damage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Please edit your previous posts instead of double posting.

Bonus damage against shields is fine, as none of the protoss units are that weak and spammable, it is a good way to make the colossus useful against protoss and therefore won't be completely unused against any race.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    As far as I'm aware, the bonus damage against Shields is outdated. Since then the Colossus has received a major attack boost, and, if I remember correctly, now it only deals base damage, with no bonuses of to anything.

6. FFenix

FFenix New Member

Too bad it's not a replacement for the reaver/shuttle. Reavers could do explosive damage and leave the scene instantly. This is spike damage which is really good in micro intensive battles. However, the collosus may be "mobile" however it is slow and does DPS damage. Hopefully someone will find a way to use it properly or somewhat effectively

7. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    An edge so too speak, basically what you*should* use it for but you dont have too sorry.

8. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    well i would like the bonus vs shields, since no other unit has that. i would like to see a protoss v protoss match due to the bonus....
    btw LOL @ your -1 rep sniper

9. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    The bonus to shields should stay, at least vs zealot shields (because its a infantry unit)

Giving it a bonus vs shields is good with lore and because the protoss shields haven't been used vs energy for a while (but then thats saying that all protoss units get a damage bonus vs shields)

Energy weapons are supposed better at damaging a energy shield ( fight fire with fire )
    so the bonus would be ok, but only with the colossus.

10. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    well actually, the colossus does not have an energy weapon. Its armed with Thermal Lances, so it fires a beam of heat, not like that other protoss weapons, which sometimes rely on psionic energy (in the case of zealot's Psi Blades) or even antimatter (Dragoon's / Immortal's Phase Distruptors)

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Heat is energy. Besides lore, I think it will make the colossus used more in PvP, where it would otherwise be out of place due to the lack of low HP spammed units.

12. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

If it did +8 damage to shields then it would be a extra 16 damage the collossus would deal due to it attacking twice.

13. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    It doesn't attack twice, it is a large sweeping arc from one thermal lance now. Also if anything the Colossus should get a bonus vs biological units seeing as its supposed to be effective against them, and it currently sucks against them. Also thermal damage burns flesh and causes and immediate effect of cauterizing the wounds, making blood implications almost a guarantee. I think it should get +10 to biological.

14. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    The Colossus attacks twice as stated here in the 3rd question, but its unknown if it still retain its bonus damage to Shields or even if it still has one, but until stated otherwise by Blizzard, most databases(mine included) say that it has the bonus damage.

now onto debating on its weather or not it should have bonus damage, im not sure if it needs one.

Currently its role is an anti-infantry / spotter(since it can see over cliffs and other LoS blockers) unit and its damage reflects that a bit. It can hit for a maximum of 46 base damage (+ 16 to shield, if it kept that), thats enough to kill Zerglings(and Banelings) and Marines without shields(and really wound them if they do have shield so your other units can handle them), thats should be good enough, Zerg players will almost always be building Zerglings to sink minerals into(tho they can also use Banelings and Roaches, which the Colossus can use its huge damage to weaken them for your other units, for that). The only Infantry unit it doesnt deal as well with is the Zealot, and thats because it would take at least 4 attacks with the Colossus to completely kill it, but then again Protoss units are meant to be tough. Though i wouldnt mind if it had a bonus verse only Marauders, do to them being infantry, but also being extremely tough for an early Terran unit.

hmm, I seem to rambled a bit again, please forgive me on that.

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

a PvP match is going to be difficult as much as it was during SC1 I like it this way. The colossus isn't the type of unit that is logical to use against another protoss considering how they can easily counter it with almost every unit in their roster... Come to think of it, the colossus would only post a threat against mineral lines and disruptors. Other than that, we can say that every protoss unit can own the colossus in terns of cost ratio.

16. alex1

alex1 New Member

I second Lurkers_Lurk.
    Bonus vs Shield is OK, but I'd like to see it have a bonus vs Armored infantry like Marauders who have 125 HP and fire (6+6)x2 against it for a riducilous cost of 125 Minerals 25 gas....Blizz, you gotta be kidding me such an early tier unit .... seriously!