Colossus as a pseudo-air unit

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by 1n5an1ty, Jul 7, 2009.

Colossus as a pseudo-air unit

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by 1n5an1ty, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Can the Colossus walk into,out, and move freely within a large mob of ground units?
    Can it cross gaps? (for example, water, space) If so, is there a size limit for the space it can bypass?

If it doesnt have either of the two abilities mentioned, its just a super-vulnerable, massive ground unit that can climb up/down cliffs >.>

2. Gforce

Gforce New Member

it can only climb up and down cliffs, i dont know how it would cross space, and water is a maybe on account that i have not seen the colossus in a map that has a river.

3. bkg360

bkg360 New Member

the Colossus reminds me of 3 movies 1 war of the worlds 2 chicken little and 3 scary movie 4 or 3 whatever has the giant ipod. i wonder if thats were blizzard got thr idea. o probobly. (again mind the spelling)

4. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Stop thinking of movies and make an actual comment.

5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Iv protested the collossus being attackable by air for a while I just don"t really see the reason for it because of the the atg that already exists and if they took it away it would totally justify itself that and maybe if taken away don"t make it as tall.

6. Fotsirvelk

Fotsirvelk New Member

Belgium
    See it as a ground unit that is targettable by flyers. Of course it can move through a stack of air units. At least that seems logic to me. It's just a replacer for the Reaver + Shuttle, where the Shuttle was the air unit.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    It can walk over small units, not over buildings, and cannot cross gaps. This is all pretty old news, by the way. Next time search the forums (there is a search function on the top right) if the question is likely to have been answered already.

8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It can also cross a special type of terrain that others can't, I believe. There was a screenshot where multiple colossi walked over water without a visible bed, but I can't link you the picture right now.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Either that was a lulzy picture, or it was just shallow water that any ground unit can cross. Why the bed wasn't visible beats me, but why the Colossus would have its very own terrain beats me even more.

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The colossus moves through water like any other unit; you could see the river bed because that's shallow water.

11. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Like others are saying I herad in an interview that the colossus can walk over shallow water. I think I have an idea what poeple might do with cat an mouse games on Bnet for SC2 there will be a colossus as cat and shallow water all around.

W/e anyway can't wait for SC2 and the map editer!

12. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    .....@ BTHammer, since the Colossus doesnt have all the advantages of a true air units (except for moving between units, even then, it has to be small units), maybe all air attacks directed towards it should do less damage by a %? and if it's not so tall, how would it climb cliffs? >.>

Also, its not really Reaver + Shuttle because it doesnt have the full advantages of an aerial unit ( Shuttle)

Sorry about not using the search....

13. krazylazy

krazylazy New Member

In my opinion, if its tall enough to be targeted by air units, why not have it capable of also attacking air units. But with a 50% reduce in the damage it deals to them, to slightly balance its ability to attack all units.

14. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    That's been discussed and I think the majority of the people find the colossus being unable to retaliate against air appealing because it utilises a combo never seen before.

15. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I already made a thread for that exact idea but as of now the collossus are really powerful and so their attackability by air is probly justified.

makes it so hydras do more damage to them

ata can take them out so your units don"t get dominated as much

16. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Giving it a light AA ability could balance it, just so they aren't completely defenseless vs air..

17. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

What is the point if its damage is too low its kind of pointless to defend itself versus air units besides if my enemy came at me with a couple of ata units i would try to get my colossus out of there depending on what they where doing.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Giving it an Anti-Air attack wouldn't balance it, it would imbalance it. The Colossus' Anti-Ground attack is what balances it's Anti-Air vulnerability. That is, it's Anti-Ground attack, as well as it's health and manoeuvrability, is so great that it balances out being able to be attacked by all units.

The Colossus' vulnerability is no different to that of a Siege Tank's dead zone, a Void Ray's low initial damage, or any other unit with any other weakness. It balances out the power of its attack. On top of that, it creates hard counters, soft counters, and allows for tactics and strategies. If everything could attack everything, you wouldn't have any of that at all.

19. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Oh and wouldn't hydras attack the collosus as a ground unit because that's what it is. Therefor the hydras wot get the air damge boost T_T, oh well the collosus seems to be taken out pretty fast so that's probly a good thing =D

20. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    someone had a question like that and Blizzard said that the unit would use its more powerful attack(stated here on question 3), so in the case of Hydra VS Colossus, the Hydra would uses its air attack on it, giving the Hydras their bonus, since the Colossus is also counted as an air unit.