Cobra change idea.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

Cobra change idea.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

This is considering the Thor is changed to my other idea the Shiva.

Since we have a dedicated anti infantry(shiva) and anti armor(siege tank) and anti air (viking) why not make the Cobra a support unit.

It will still fire its railguns while moving but here's the twist.

It does 2 damage, and it shoots at multiple targets(3), dealing 2 damage to each.

Each shot the Cobra's attack slows the attack and movement speed of the unit by a certain %, in addition, units will deal extra damage to those units. This effect will stack up to X times(im thinking 3 or 5).

120-135hp, 1 armor, a little faster than in the Terran Demo vid. Can still attack air units.

2. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I think the idea is good, but maybe won´t fit the starcraft universe. It just doesn´t have that "starcraftish" feel. However, the multiple target attack sounds good, but I don´t like the slow in movement speed, and the devourer already had the extra damage thing. I do agree, that the speed could be higher, but maybe with an upgrade.

edit: first to comment!

3. ekulio

ekulio New Member

No, I'd rather it did more damage to one unit. It's just better tactically speaking to focus all your firepower on one unit at a time than trying to attack them all at once.

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

On one of the recent Q & A's I believe it was mentioned that the Cobra has been given a newer attack that has a slowing effect and is electrically based. While it isn't attacking multiple units at once, the change is pretty significant and I think fits along the lines you were thinking.

5. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I prefer it would deal all 6 damage to one unit. also that little damage makes it less effective than even a normal marine, except for life. With the cost of being a lower tier unit, the cobra should at least deal a base of 10 damage a shot with decent range. It would be good to have it move faster. In the demo, the Thor and support marines killed 4 or 5 of them before the Thor was destroyed. For being a comeback against the Thor, it would need to do decent damage.

Probably something like increased damage to armor units.

6. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Its a cool idea, but I think Tavisman summed it up nicely.
    Personally I'm psyched to use the Cobra, they look nice and versitile, and being able to shoot and move, they'll give zelots a run for their money (if they can keep ahead of their charge.)

Edit: Since were on the subject of change, I think the Reapers need to do a little more damage, from what Ive seen in the videos one or two more damage might be a nice addition.

7. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    However, the advantage they will have against zealots will only really help in early game before protoss developes stalkers and immortals to act as support units. Judging by the video, the cobra's range would take it well into the range to the stalkers, and with their blink ability, the fireing while running won't help too much.

And if the zealots are supported by a colossus or two, the cobra won't last too long against them. Colossus's sweeping beam would be able to keep up with the cobra, dealing continuous damage.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

from the rumors i heard from blizzcon the cobra is a damn effective AA unit, preferably against carriers

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

the idea is that the unit is supporting other units in doing damage, the 2 damage is not to actually matter, its the increase in damage and decrease in speed thats the big thing, it attacks multiple units so it would be more effective at what it does, supporting tanks and what not.

10. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I really don't like the idea of the cobra as a support unit. That is the medics, nomads, ghosts, and predators job. I really want to be able to mass some cobras, like 10, and just be able to harass the flanks of an enemies forces or base, but if they do no damage that won't be possible.

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The whole 2 damage doesn't even qualify as tier one, even probes do more than that. The multiple shot isn't very good because the best way to survive a battle, it to focus the attack on one unit to take it out faster.

At least give the cobra 10 damage, so it will actually help, I'm going to assume that the cobra will be more expensive than a marine, therefor it should be more useful than the marine. Marines are the support ground units in the later game, why make a more expensive version of one?

12. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Maybe they could give the cobra a prism tank (from CC:RA) like attack, it could hit the original unit for somewhere between 10-15 damage, and would branch out and hit 3 maximum units in a range of 1-2 for 3-5 damage. I like this better than a slowing attack, which I don't think fits with the Terran gameplay, or at least wouldn't in SC!, with the slow unstoppable advance, a slowing attack would be really useless in that strategy.

13. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Support does not necesarely means to have casting abilites and no attack or verry little like the nomad medics or ghosts. Imagine the cobra haveing a damage of 8-10 normal and the slow effect on it. But give it an upg - advanced projectile acceleration field - for the railgun that would enable it to do 2x dmg versus heavy armor units and fortified plateing (aka building - would be a small dmg fast raid siege unit). That way it has an important role against units like colossus or thor and with an AA attack would be a good battlecruisser or carrier killer this way would also fill the gap the loss of the goliath made (and no the viking AA mod is not a replacement for the goliath - its more of a wraith/valkyrie replacment).

14. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    That wouldn't be bad, but I think that with that a slowing attack doesn't induce chasing, which is what I would want my opponent to do against my cobras.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont see why people woundt want a slowing attack its great for harras and support.

If you dont like the multiple shot 2 damage, we can have it be 15 damage sinlge shot, but still slow down the target, that helps harras and siege tanks.

16. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

I like the slowing attack. Read my post entirely. I said it would keep it's slowing attack. But would gain the abillity to penetrate heavy plateing and fortified one with an upgrade, makeing it a good counter for the large units (air or ground) and also a good support unit.

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Slowing attack is good, just like it to do decent damage as well, that way it would be a great base reaider for the terran, kind of like the reaper.

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member