Charge ability for Ultralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Do you like the charge idea?

1. yes charge ability

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. no charge ability

16 vote(s)
    64.0%

Charge ability for Ultralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

You know in L4D2, where this zombie could charge at the humans? I was thinking, like, since terran has the thor for the "spearhead" of an attack, then so could the zerg. It basically works like this;

Researched at the ultralisk (caravan)==>cavern for 100-100.

The ultralisk charges at a given direction for 5 seconds, and the speed is around twice as fast as its normal speed. Small units like marduarars, stalkers are pushed aside while being dealt 50 damage, and if they are stuck in a corner, then they die immediately. The ultralisk either runs its 5 seconds, or it crashes into a large unit or building, dealing them 100 damage.

It could be very fun to charge into enemy positions and see the troops scatter around you. Also, it could increase the micro abilities of both players. I also saw the cool side of this thing in the movie avatar.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'm not sure if that's a nasty typo or was intentional but I lolled.

I'll elaborate on my vote.
    • Firstly, the pushing aside thing wouldn't work. If a unit gets pushed it either has to clip into a neighbouring unit or it has to push it. The first is obviously not feasible, and the second would set off a chain reaction of jostling. Mass pogo is a nono ;)
    • Secondly, the ultralisk is a tank already, so no need to further buff it. Besides, it will already attract fire from the enemy because few people would want an AOE cleaving machine to close in at ~20 damage per swipe.
    • Thirdly, the ultralisk already gets a +5 damage bonus against buildings for its normal attacks, so the "crashing in" thing is redundant. Against units I'd go as far as calling it ridiculous.
    • Lastly, instantly killing units is seriously overpowered, not to mention the uniform 50 damage for who knows how many units.

The ultralisk in my opinion is designed to be a primitive meat shield, and so the fewer its active abilities the better. So 0 works perfectly.

3. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    think it's fine the way it is. No need, it's already been buffed insanly from it's sc1 counterpart and it would be devastating enought to have onewith this ability try 6+ charging and killng everything in a single swipe, talk about overpowered.

4. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I gagged at the poll results lol. I probably look ridiculous... oh well, it was just an idea.

5. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The Ultralisk charge ability reminds me the battle Hannibal enterprised against Rome. He had some elephants with him and climbed the Alpes with them. How extraordinary ! Once the battle was about to start at the doors of Rome Hannibal sent the Elephants first to the enemy, who was organized in formations of soldiers. They had just to create halls to allow the elephants to pass through them and let them charge straight but harmously to the soldiers.

6. Sueco

Sueco New Member

It sure would be in step with lore and everything, but the ultralisks "charge" is getting to the enemy and doing 20 splash damage to everything in front of it. To actually give it a charge ability seems overkill, and Blizz needs to keep the number of activated abilities down to a reasonable level, else you end up with so many that most of them dont get used.

imho if abilities are to be added there are better candidates. I'm sure someone is going to create a map where ultras can do that, but in competitive play its a big nono for the reasons other playes have stated above.

7. AcidFiend

AcidFiend Guest

I vote to change the name of the building to Ultralisk Caravan.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
  9. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    The best Ultralisk ideas I've seen imo are:

1) Allowing them to step "through" units;

2) Allowing them to cliff walk (yeah, basically we're talking Collosi mechanics here);

3) Allowing 8-12 zerglings to "cling" to them (a zergling only transport basically), unable to attack until they "unload" but giving them additional shelter + another way to bypass cliffs (in conjunction with suggestion #2).

From a thematic perspective I love these ideas. Balancing I leave to the pros at Blizzard.

10. Glaurung

Glaurung New Member

Your base.
  11. Collapsar

Collapsar Guest

I like that cliff walk idea

12. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Cliff walk is not in the play style of the ultra there is the broodlord for flying siege if needed and charge really doesn't solve the issue of ultras closing in and being able to survive for more then 3 seconds.

Charge would only be viable if blizz adds walk over.

13. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Wow, stepping through biological units like marines, zealots, zerglings etc. would be an awesome ability to beef up these monsters!

14. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

come to think of it ultralisk should get a push mechanic. **** protoss get that stupid force field that is completely unbalanced at the moment.

why not give a teir 3 unit something game breaking vs a tier 1.5 i mean it only sounds fair right. the only units it shouldn't effect is buildings and other Massive units.

15. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Is Blizzard going to even going to notice this thread? Just wondering.
    BTW I agree with i2@aol, maybe the push ability could destroy the force field and stuff.

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    i don't see ultras enought in matches on YouTube to think that they need an ability, and I still don't see why they would need one in the near future.

17. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

That's the trouble, they aren't being used at all, due to their lack of abilities to change the tide of the game in favor of the zerg player.