CES '08 Good time to be a gamer.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by BirdofPrey, Jan 8, 2008.

CES '08 Good time to be a gamer.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by BirdofPrey, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Its day 2 of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and some interesting tech has come in form Intel and Nvidia (not compatible) along with the chance to actually do some gaming on laptops (with high end chips nonetheless) AMD seems to be holding on for now but their cheaper products might have some chance.

and now the News courtesy of CNET Networks

Looks like things are shaping up to be the year of the laptop. More and more tech is going into laptops to make them more powerful and have longer batteries. Now if only they can make laptops as cheap as desktops. The high end stuff for Desktops from Intel seems to me not to be at all usefull since the current stuff they have is already more than you need so its probably a good thing they are focusing on mobile devices.

Intel is jumping on the octo-core bandwagon with AMD (who annouced that capability with its 700 series chipsets on the Spider platform) With Quad-core chips being expensive at the moment and not really too much more usefull than dual-cores due to lack of optimization this seems rather useless for the time being

The second one seems interesting as a faster front-side bus is always usefull but as pointed out in the full article without top end graphics to go with it it becomes watered down. It seems to me that Intel needs to stop making stuff that wll be usefull in a year andmake what is available NOW cheaper. Ig they did that they might actually crush AMD (though a monopoly probably isn't what we want)

Thats more like it,. Something we can actually use. Something hat uses less power is always something to lock forward to since a plug is not always available and extra laptop batteries aren't the lightest or cheapest acessories to get. Also less lead and less halogens are something really nice since some people don't recycle their systems and electronics are generally toxic. Heres to the green PC

Though they say the perfomance inrease was marginal the 45nm process is something and with this being one of the first of that process it can only get better.

Intel's processors are still faster. Not like you needed anyone to tell you that. AMD is still cheaper. More of the blatently obvious. What else can I say about this one?

First off let me note that the Radeon HD 3000 series is the top end stuff from ATI so seing it go on a laptop is a fine thing indeed. Its a relativeley bare article but it mentions the Puma platform that is coming which should be interesting as well. With DX10.1 and PCI-Express on laptops now it further solidifies the fact that soon desktop replacement (and gaming) laptops are fast on their way to actually living up to their name.

First thing that interests me is the fact that Intel has basicly been shut out as far as graphics go. Score 1 for AMD. I find that surprising that you can't pair the high end CPU with a high end card. What interest me more is the Hybrid SLI. ever since motherboards started having integrated vidoe chipsets those chipsets have been forced to turn off when you get a real vidoe card but with this new tech from Nvidia those onboard chips will boost your performance and can even be used instead of the card for power savings when you are doing stuff like typing or surfing the net (like now) which is escpecially good for laptops because even with power savings the high end GPUs still draw more current than the basic model so you will o longer have t worry about your gaming laptop having a 1 hour battery life if all you are doing is word processing.

Really interesting stuff regarding PC guts. If you see anything else computer realted feel free to post the article for it.
    Discuss the above, below.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Oh dear god.

ATI announced a video card with TWO GPUs and will support CrossFireX Meaning you can plug 4 of these things together.  ZOMG thats way more than you need and would cost major wads of cash ($2000)

http://www.gamespot.com/video/939217/6184393/videoplayerpop?rgroup=ces2008_videos
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/14/amd-official-with-ati-r680-rv620-and-rv635-gpu-cores/
    http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Announces+R680+RV620+RV635+Graphics+Cores/article10033.htm

I looked at some pictures of the cards and they only have one crossfire connector which means that version will only support a dual card configuration but if the CrossFireX thing is true that could change. Also it has a 6-pin AND an 8-pin power connector. Thats loads of power